Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calls for State to build Mosque in Roscommon

• 21-03-2017 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

A Longford based Pakistani business man has called for the government to build a mosque in Roscommon, for the newly arrived Syrians. He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them, and that they are being discriminated against, etc.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/calls-for-roscommon-council-to-build-mosque-1.3017962
    Fcuk that nonsense, I say. Let him put his money where his big mouth is and fund one himself. He might take the time to acquaint himself with our culture and laws. This isn't some Islamic dominated dump, rooted in the Middle Ages, which funds mosques, or any other type of religious building.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sure let him call for a mosque all he wants, it's not like anyone will actually listen to him. Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Just read the article. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Let them book a room in the local community centre for the hours they want it. Or meet in someone's house for an aul pray whenever they like.

Note this isn't the refugees themselves calling for a mosque, but this kind of guff could taint anyone's opinion against Muslim refugees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Quick reading that I first thought it was a call for a statue to MmcG ...

He might have a point about it being a Punishment living in Ballaghadereen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

There is already a big mosque in Ballyhaunis which is around 15 mins drive from Ballaghaderreen. There is also a house owned by a cleric in Ballaghaderreen which is used as a mosque for anyone who can't make the 15 minute journey to Ballyhaunis Both towns have a big sunni Muslim population and are well able to fund the building their own mosque as already proved without the state getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah yeah, that old punishment of to hell or to Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hahahahahaha

On your bike

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If the state funded the building of churches and places of worship for other denominations, then I'd have no problem with them doing so for a mosque. But they don't, if a religious denomination wants to build a church, synagogue, temple, meeting house or whatever they have to stump up for it themselves. So I fail to see how this is any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I suppose Roscommon could do with a USP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

He apparently claims that to be there in Ballaghadereen is a "punishment " for them.

Here we are giving them a safe haven with no worry of dying in war, we open our hands to them and give them all refuge, and this guy is saying that it would be a Punishment to settle them for a few months in Roscommon. I give up.

These refugees will only be in Roscommon for a few months and then they will be housed across the counties of Ireland, so what is he talking about, it's not like they will be imprisoned indefinitely in a concentration camp. Talk about entitled.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Article (especially the quotes in it) come over like something out of the Onion, only not as subtle so more like Waterford Whispers. Especially with one 15 mins away and a local house used for people who can't make the trip. Amazing how he would try to describe robe the area as "punishment" for people fleeing a war zone, and all it's going to achieve is making local people (and with all due respect to Roscommon, not an area too familiar with much migration I would imagine) more likely to get their backs up over refugees.

I really don't understand what the problem is with Roscommon, I used to camp down there many years ago and it is beautiful in scenery. To be honest, I wouldn't mind living there in the sticks with all the scenery. If you have a car then the sky's the limit, lovely quiet and comfortable place to live.

The main thing in regards to this guy on the IT's is that he is not fully up to date on the government initiative in the case of these refugees. He doesn't understand that they will be housed in different locations in the months to come. He should understand this before be mouths off about it.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I really don't understand what the problem is with Roscommon, I used to camp down there many years ago and it is beautiful in scenery. To be honest, I wouldn't mind living there in the sticks with all the scenery. If you have a car then the sky's the limit, lovely quiet and comfortable place to live.

The main thing in regards to this guy on the IT's is that he is not fully up to date on the government initiative in the case of these refugees. He doesn't understand that they will be housed in different locations in the months to come. He should understand this before be mouths off about it.

Doubt any of the refugees will have a car and transport is likely quite sparse in the area, but that's all irrelevant - it's a quiet, safe place and being very rural if anything would be quite relaxing compared to a Dublin, Limerick or Cork considering the chaos these families (especially children) are coming from. The lack of cars/transport would make getting to the mosque tricky as Google Maps puts it as 22km/4 and a half hours walking, but the house of worship should more than suffice short term (which as you mention, their placement is) and the state is not in the business of building places of worship for any faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why can't they just use an auld Christian church for an hour or so?

Sure they all worship the same mythical diety and all these religions are meant to be about peace and love and understanding, so there wouldn't be a problem, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't mind living there.

RoscommonCastle_zpsw5phuhz5.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

The state should not build a church, synagogue, mosque or Buddhist temple - or any other religious building.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Build them one.

Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

What an absolute joke. Surely the main concern was their safety. They aren't a wet day in Roscommon and this knob is asking for tax payers to build them a mosque. The old saying comes to mind 'Give an inch and they'll take a mile'.. What a fool, wouldn't even entertain the gombeen. Our roads, schools , hospitals just to name a few are a mess and this idiot wants tax payers money for his mosque. Dream on.

Glenster wrote: »
    Build them one.

Whats the problem?

We'd have to build a money tree first out of Irish taxpayers last few Euro's. We're tied up trying to build apartments and houses for our own citizens at the moment, and even that has not come to fruition yet. I think there is 56 mosques in Ireland the last time I looked back in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Sure let him call for a mosque all he wants, it's not like anyone will actually listen to him. Twat.

They probably will. Some advocacy group will get behind this mans demands, the media will follow and the politicians will cave and provide one. It may not be a new building but a building will be provided for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He should just do what its normally done in the Pakistani community and raise the money from the community. It has been done in Dublin, and in some cases its as simple as a member of the communities restaurant letting people use a spare room above it for a couple of hours a day. Surely, the same can be done here, if there is demand.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Doubt any of the refugees will have a car and transport is likely quite sparse in the area, but that's all irrelevant - it's a quiet, safe place and being very rural if anything would be quite relaxing compared to a Dublin, Limerick or Cork considering the chaos these families (especially children) are coming from

The director of the immigration centre was on the radio this morning and was talking about the events they'd organised to welcome the refugees, volunteers doing walking tours of the area with them, English classes, etc. I doubt they're complaining, just this idiot.

Let this "businessman" fund it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Looks like his comments went down like a led zeppallahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You don't need a purpose built building to designate it as being a mosque. It can be a room in a house/school, temporary or permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need less religion, not more. And my taxes sure as hell shouldn't be used for religious buildings, be they synagogues, churches, or mosques.
    And certainly not for "holy educations (sic)”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Billy86 wrote: »
    Doubt any of the refugees will have a car and transport is likely quite sparse in the area, but that's all irrelevant - it's a quiet, safe place and being very rural if anything would be quite relaxing compared to a Dublin, Limerick or Cork considering the chaos these families (especially children) are coming from. The lack of cars/transport would make getting to the mosque tricky as Google Maps puts it as 22km/4 and a half hours walking, but the house of worship should more than suffice short term (which as you mention, their placement is) and the state is not in the business of building places of worship for any faith.

There might not be proper public transport, but people in Roscommon have discovered private transport including automobiles.
    They were introduced by a lad who learned all about such contraptions over in Canada.

I even heard a rumour that some lad was offering a taxi/hackney service.
    Of course it might just be a rumour, he might still just have a horse and trap.
    Even that I suppose it bates the donkey and cart for speed and comfort :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure Saudi Arabia is quite willing to spread wahabism by building mosques here..

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Shur give them an old church. Plenty of them knocking about not being used. Be grand shur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I wouldn't mind living there.

The town is actually a bit of a sad dump. Not a lot going on. Some lovely people though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement