Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Does anyone agree with me when i say that Nidge seizing the opportunity to take control of the gang is akin to John Gilligan's rise in stock when the General was shot?
    The wife who loves the lavish life that Nidge is providing her no matter what cost which is also akin to Gilligans wife and other gangland wives
    I thought that of john boy moreso, that was one complaint i had about last night, all the heat they were attracting after jb's funeral, and the head man (nidge) is still doing manual work (shooting luke). they would have surely been followed...I doubt gilligan made many trips to wicklow with guns and shovels when the heat was on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Does anyone agree with me when i say that Nidge seizing the opportunity to take control of the gang is akin to John Gilligan's rise in stock when the General was shot?
    The wife who loves the lavish life that Nidge is providing her no matter what cost which is also akin to Gilligans wife and other gangland wives
    I thought that of john boy moreso, that was one complaint i had about last night, all the heat they were attracting after jb's funeral, and the head man (nidge) is still doing manual work (shooting luke). they would have surely been followed...I doubt gilligan made many trips to wicklow with guns and shovels when the heat was on him.

Just watching the part with the disappearing tache. The tache seems to be getting more prominent throughout. The scene is the Darren of old coming out and his sister pushing it out slowly. She knows what he can do and wants him to sort it out for her. Luke's execution was done in some style. When Nidge was going to shoot Darren as well was really intense. Like when John Boy was contemplating bottling his solicitor. Great scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Anyone know where I can watch season 2? Managed to download season 1 but never recorded season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

Swampy wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can watch season 2? Managed to download season 1 but never recorded season 2.
    careful now...^^

In relation to Darren, I dont think he's actually that bad...his character just seems a little tormented, and not really supposed to be the typical hardman like the rest of them.

Seems that he's just been dragged deeper and deeper, but all he wants to do is be out of the scene but cant seem to catch a break...
    even when Luke was gettin popped,
    he was very uncomfortable as it was happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Just watching the part with the disappearing tache. The tache seems to be getting more prominent throughout. The scene is the Darren of old coming out and his sister pushing it out slowly. She knows what he can do and wants him to sort it out for her. Luke's execution was done in some style. When Nidge was going to shoot Darren as well was really intense. Like when John Boy was contemplating bottling his solicitor. Great scene.

Why was Nidge contemplating doing away with Darren?
    What has Darren got over Nidge that no-else has?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The problem with the character Darren is that Robert Sheehan isnt a good enough actor to nail it. Everything he does just seems 'off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

salonfire wrote: »
    Why was Nidge contemplating doing away with Darren?
    What has Darren got over Nidge that no-else has?

He's the only one left that knows who got John Boy killed. But since it was him that actually did it, he'll stay quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,751 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So who told Roise that Darren killed Stumpy? Her mam maybe but would she have known :confused: Roise seem to imply she knew everytime she was nagging Darren asking for the truth

I'd say if Darren has said anything Nidge didnt like when he was digging the grave Nidge would have killed him too, Darren did right by keeping quiet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Good finale and probably the best RTE drama in years.

I really liked the murder scene but last week's felt more dramatic. The Darren character is far from threatening and I was itching for his GF to get off the screen. They'll need new blood for the next season if they're going to keep things moving forward; I am not sure Nidge, as great as he is, is enough for the show.

Will there be a next season? More than likely.

SECOND SERIES OF LOVE/HATE GENERATES CRITICAL ACCLAIM

AND PROVES TO BE A RATINGS WINNER.

The final episode of hit series LOVE/HATE attracted an average audience of *616,000 viewers last night and reach figure of **955,000.

The series average for the second series was 530,000 viewers with a 31% share, a rise of 76,000 viewers and 3.5% share from the first four-part series which aired in October of last year. The most watched episode was episode five which featured the shock killing of gangland boss John Boy played by Aidan Gillen. That episode was watched by an average audience of 659,000 with a 41% audience share. The series also attracted an average 160,000 viewers to date in its repeat airing on Saturday nights and also performed well on the RTÉ Player having been streamed 257,000 times to date.

The series has not only proved to be a ratings hit but has also attracted strong critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive feedback online on both facebook and twitter. The box-set of series one has already proved to so popular that it has had to be reprinted and demand for series two is expected to be strong in the Christmas market. The second series is available for sale in retail outlets across the country from today.

In addition to DVD sales, RTÉ hopes that the series will prove to be of interest to a range of international broadcasters who may be interested in purchasing LOVE/HATE as a ten part series. Series one has already aired on Scottish TV (STV) and is currently being screened by Foxtel in Australia.

In an exceptionally competitive autumn schedule the producers of Love/Hate have delivered a spectacular series to RTÉ ONE viewers. RTÉ Television Drama’s digital strategy in partnership with the producers has ensured increased opportunities to see the series for viewers across all of RTÉ’s platforms and beyond.

RTÉ Drama is committed to bringing viewers the work of new and established writers, directors, producers and actors and Love/Hate demonstrates the depth of talent available in Ireland working at a very high level.

The response to the series in Ireland, and now internationally, demands respect and while it’s too early to announce I’m particularly excited to see the prospect of a third series taking shape.

Jane Gogan, Commissioning Editor, RTÉ Drama

Will Darren's tasche return? Let's hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So who told Roise that Darren killed Stumpy? Her mam maybe but would she have known :confused: Roise seem to imply she knew everytime she was nagging Darren asking for the truth

I thought she'd asked him when she got back "so is it true"? Like there had been rumours going around that it was him......she was always saying to him that he'd changed now so she always knew but tried to pretend that it wasn't true but then she just admitted it to herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What exactly was Rosie's problem? She got romantically involved with, not one, but two gangsters and she was fully aware that they were gangsters and what was involved in that lifestyle.
    And then she got upset 'cos Darren was........eh.........a gangster? :confused:

With a bit of luck she won't be around for series 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

in series 3 darrens tache goes on the gear
    then aido pimps it out
    rosie is caught in a real dilemna
    is she in love with darren or the tache
    darren started off living in spain in the first episode he came home from there to see his brother get out of jail maybe hes just gone back
    as far as i remember hes on the run for gun possesion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,851 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Thought this episode wasnt as good without JB (even though I didnt take to him last season his character came on in leaps and bounds this year) but still great.
    The soundtrack was brilliant. The Dylan/Hendrix music was perfect for the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

People saying that Darrens tache disappearing is a metaphor for his good and bad side is quite funny, it's clearly bad continuity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RJunior

Did anyone else cop the fact that Nidge set Luke up? Apart from Darren, Luke was the only person linking Nidge to John Boy's death and Nidge was intent on severing all ties between himself and the murder. It was Nidge that broke in and walked around Mary's bedroom so that Darren would be prompted to do something drastic about Luke. That's why they made a big play during the burial scene of Nidge throwing Luke's shoe in on top of his corpse and why Nidge asks Trish at the end has she seen his new runners. It's also the reason why Nidge had no problem executing Luke personally. He probably made out to Darren that he was doing it as a favour to him in which case Darren now owes him one, something which'll crop up in the third series no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RJunior wrote: »
    Did anyone else cop the fact that Nidge set Luke up? Apart from Darren, Luke was the only person linking Nidge to John Boy's death and Nidge was intent on severing all ties between himself and the murder. It was Nidge that broke in and walked around Mary's bedroom so that Darren would be prompted to do something drastic about Luke. That's why they made a big play during the burial scene of Nidge throwing Luke's shoe in on top of his corpse and why Nidge asks Trish at the end has she seen his new runners. It's also the reason why Nidge had no problem executing Luke personally. He probably made out to Darren that he was doing it as a favour to him in which case Darren now owes him one, something which'll crop up in the third series no doubt.

:eek:

God I love this thread

But didn't they explicitly show Luke in Mary's bedroom so how could it be Nidge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Still no boobs out on this show?.....meh!, sure even Strikeback had TWO Irish actresses and they both got in the nip, and RTE can't find a feckin' wan for an RTE show??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

DeepBlue wrote: »
    But didn't they explicitly show Luke in Mary's bedroom so how could it be Nidge?

Yes, it's definitely Luke. 35 minutes in.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Still no boobs out on this show?.....meh!, sure even Strikeback had TWO Irish actresses and they both got in the nip, and RTE can't find a feckin' wan for an RTE show??
    Ruth Negga had her boobs out when making out with Darren in a sex scene that dragged on way too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

RJunior wrote: »

But did Darren not only alert Nidge to Luke being a weirdo after the bedroom scene? Then Nidge just took it as a reason to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

anyone know any websites where i can watch this from the start, RTE only have the last episode

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Jeeze, the amount of alternative theories that people are putting forward!! It's an RTE production, plot is straight-forward, no funny stuff, end of...

On the subject of plot though, personally felt the whole 'Luke' obsession story didn't fit in with the series and was really included to pad things out...

Nidge and not JohnBoy won hands down in terms of acting... Check out the real guy in this interview -> his real accent and not so articulate way of speaking during the interview is quite amusing compared to the Nidge we're used to: http://www.rte.ie/ten/video.html#3118621,3118621,flash,255

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Jeeze, the amount of alternative theories that people are putting forward!! It's an RTE production, plot is straight-forward, no funny stuff, end of...

On the subject of plot though, personally felt the whole 'Luke' obsession story didn't fit in with the series and was really included to pad things out...

Nidge and not JohnBoy won hands down in terms of acting... Check out the real guy in this interview -> his real accent and not so articulate way of speaking during the interview is quite amusing compared to the Nidge we're used to: http://www.rte.ie/ten/video.html#3118621,3118621,flash,255

Yeah haven't really got into this series at all. Also its an indo production.

Nidge's accent is like The Wire's McNulty's accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEhDeWbk0g
    anyone know any websites where i can watch this from the start, RTE only have the last episode

Legally no, RTÉ and the Indo company want to sell DVDs, the last series was release just before Xmas, so you might find it in HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

A number of international broadcasters are considering combining both seasons as a 10-part series.
    The most-watched episode of series two was episode five, which had an average audience of 659,000 with a 41% audience share.
    The series, which is now available on DVD, has also been streamed 257,000 times on the RTÉ Player.

Demand for series one has seen it repressed on DVD and it has also been sold to Scottish TV (STV) and is currently being screened by Foxtel in Australia.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/1213/lovehate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Nidge is a RADA trained actor!! I nearly fell off my seat when I watched his interview. Also, hearing Tommy's real voice put me off him!

I really think this is the best series RTE have produced, and Nidge is by far the outstanding character. He's so believable and makes us laugh in every episode, even when he's being a psycho.

Darren's tashe is clearly just a continuity issue and has no hidden meaning - it seems to disappear when he's in Mary's house so I'd say they had to do re-shoots and he had already shaved it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steven_b16

where can i stream it i only saw the last episode???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Plankton1 wrote: »
    Nidge is a RADA trained actor!! I nearly fell off my seat when I watched his interview. Also, hearing Tommy's real voice put me off him!

I really think this is the best series RTE have produced, and Nidge is by far the outstanding character. He's so believable and makes us laugh in every episode, even when he's being a psycho.

Darren's tashe is clearly just a continuity issue and has no hidden meaning - it seems to disappear when he's in Mary's house so I'd say they had to do re-shoots and he had already shaved it off.

But if its such an awesome production as 99% of posters on here agree, do you really think they are so slipshod as to mess up on something as bog obvious as the tache.

There has to be a hidden meaning. The alternative continuity error just theory doesnt stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There has been some brilliant music during this series, wish RTE would bring out a soundtrack, these two being my favourites (Night Visiting Song is one of my all time fav songs :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

steven_b16 wrote: »
    where can i stream it i only saw the last episode???

Streaming talk is not allowed here. Please don't ask again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement