Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

bubblypop wrote: »
    Quick question, if the amount that the hire company want to block on your credit card is more than your credit limit, what happens?
    I only have 1500 limit on mine, it seems most companies block a lot more than that

it is really only a problem is you decline excess insurance. If you do decline excess insurance then they will hold whatever their deductible is which will be different for every company.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭cjmc11

Hey all, quick question,
    Hiring a car from the airport, does the car hire company provide the compulsory safety equipment required for France, such as the high vis vests, warning triangle, spare bulbs etc.?
    And if not, what exactly is needed and can they be bought at the airport?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cjmc11 wrote: »
    Hey all, quick question,
    Hiring a car from the airport, does the car hire company provide the compulsory safety equipment required for France, such as the high vis vests, warning triangle, spare bulbs etc.?
    And if not, what exactly is needed and can they be bought at the airport?
    Thanks

I never looked for spare bulbs in a French hire car but there will be a hi-viz jacket in a transparent bag in the glovebox, I wouldn't worry about anything else. If there is a legal requirement then they will be supplied but a lot of what you read on the web is either OTT or out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

ring them. It might be a long wait and many calls but everything can be sorted quicker by phone with them.
    They can speed up the process if you're travelling soon (even if not family emergency).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Shaunao

They don't email back iny experience recently, book an appointment in their Dublin/cork office asap and talk to someone face to face. Get the forms filled out in the garda station.

I'm about to make the appointment but I've got people telling me i can only go to Cork and other people saying I can only go to Dublin -_- I don't have time to waste but I'm guessing that I can make one in Dublin? it would make more sense since I live in Offaly.

• Advertisement

Also the websites don't specify that i can or cant go to either so I guess it should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I had such an experience a few years ago.

I got all the photos and forms filled out and signed by the Garda and I showed up in the Dublin passport office first thing in the morning.

I told them my sad story, they verified all my paperwork and told me to come back at 4pm.

At 4pm - same day - I got my new passport.

I paid through the nose for it but I did get it.

A stressful experience mind you!

I had such an experience a few years ago.

I got all the photos and forms filled out and signed by the Garda and I showed up in the Dublin passport office first thing in the morning.

I told them my sad story, they verified all my paperwork and told me to come back at 4pm.

At 4pm - same day - I got my new passport.

I paid through the nose for it but I did get it.

A stressful experience mind you!

Really? Did it matter which office you went to? Seems like a silly question I know but I'm being told different things and I just wanna be sure. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Shaunao wrote: »
    Really? Did it matter which office you went to? Seems like a silly question I know but I'm being told different things and I just wanna be sure. :/

I don't know. At the time, I didn't even consider Cork because Dublin is - well you know - Dublin. :o

I would give them a call:

In my more recent dealings with them, I have found that it is nearly impossible to get through to the Dublin office on the phone. It just goes straight to the recorded message.

You will get through to the Cork office but be prepared to be on hold for twenty minutes or more. They are very helpful once you get through to them though.

And don't waste precious time waiting for an email answer - I don't think they have ever responded to my email queries.

I don't know. At the time, I didn't even consider Cork because Dublin is - well you know - Dublin. :o

I would give them a call:

In my more recent dealings with them, I have found that it is nearly impossible to get through to the Dublin office on the phone. It just goes straight to the recorded message.

You will get through to the Cork office but be prepared to be on hold for twenty minutes or more. They are very helpful once you get through to them though.

And don't waste precious time waiting for an email answer - I don't think they have ever responded to my email queries.

Thank you so much everyone ! I'm going to try cork again ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Remember to leave the jacket in the glovebox, if it's in the boot the police can still fine you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meangene

Has anyone ever found a deal for both car hire excess and travel insurance yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

a local taxi driver recommended going through the east-link toll bridge too, it can be quite difficult to get onto the quays etc. Would i be able to check in and provide API at the kiosks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If you have lost your tracking number is there any way of getting it again or somehow getting an update?

Edit: nvm it was found

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Axa do a great annual policy. Reasonably priced together with a familiar name you can trust

https://www.axacarhireexcess.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Europcar offer deals for a quid across Europe, if you'll re-locate their cars from point A to point B within 24hrs.

Hertz have offers at preferential rates along the same lines too.

https://www.europcar.co.uk/deals/one...?xtor=AL-3090-

http://www.hertz-transfer.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

Does anyone know how to get cheap car rental in Croatia, Zadar to be specific. Needs to include a child seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Have a look on ebookers.ie. Most of the car rental companies they deal with would be fairly reputable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

maybe youre not aware, but you can check in child seats for free on the likes of Aer lingus or Ryanair so you dont necessarily need to pay the excessive charges that rental companys ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 1 slowcentrehalf

Hey there,
    I'm looking for advice. I'm renting a car in Italy, and I'll be travelling as part of a group of 3 Adults and 2 Children (ages 3 & 7)

Can anyone recommend what class of Car I should get?
    The kids will need car seats (maybe just a booster for the 7 year old?)

We'll have a bag per person but not too much more then that.

Anyone any experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A midsized car like a Hyundai i30 should fit the bill. The car rental websites show photos of the 'typical' car in each class, you should be able to figure it out but don't be surprised if you don't get that exact model on the day. And make sure to book the booster seat if travelling in July or August.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Go for standard or above, your main concern is room for baggage, if you could put the 2 kids baggage in to 1 large bag it would help loading space.

I brought two booster seats with me, cost around 11 euro in lidl or aldi , free to check in with Ryanair & didn't bother bringing them home.
    Any rental places I checked were charging per seat per day!
    Bringing them was way cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

bubblypop wrote: »
    I brought two booster seats with me, cost around 11 euro in lidl or aldi , free to check in with Ryanair & didn't bother bringing them home.
    Any rental places I checked were charging per seat per day!
    Bringing them was way cheaper

+1 also bring your own GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Get a big car. The luggage alone will take up a lot of space. If they are just carry on luggage you will manage with a smaller car but big suitcases will need a very big boot.

You also want 3 adult spaces in the back seat as kids' seats will take up extra room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Whats the best site to book on these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Poochie05

neacy69 wrote: »

I find the car hire section of the Aer Lingus website very good (powered by Car Trawler). You don't need to have AL flights to use it. The descriptions are very clear on what is or isn't included and also tells you the name of the car hire company in advance. Makes comparisons and decision making very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sydneycarton

We are travelling to Italy in August and ideally we would like to hire a car to take us from the airport to where we are staying. Unfortunately however we don't have a credit card. Is it possible to hire a car in Italy without a credit card? Or if not, is it possible to hire a car with a prepaid credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

neacy69 wrote: »

I book rental cars almost every month and find Ebookers to be among the cheapest. It also tells you the car hire company in advance.

http://www.ebookers.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sebbplatter

As per the title, we need to hire a car for a weekend soon.

All the online car rental t's & c's same to say the same, that a credit card is required in order to make a booking.

I used Avis in Italy recently with just a debit card and it was accepted but their terms clearly state :

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Though you can use many different credit card to make your booking, you must have one of the following cards (American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Diners Card), in the name of the driver, with you when you collect your car. Avis Ireland do not accept debit cards.[/font]

Just wondering if anyone has managed to hire a car from Shannon (or dublin) with just a debit card only?

And if so which company did you use?

Advertisement