Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

See you Jimmy! Aye you, ya bawbag!!

• 03-03-2016 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why are all the greatest rock bands Scottish?

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

The coronas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I've never heard of any those bands, except for simple minds, and even they have about 2 good songs at best..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You forgot Big Country. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Deacon Blue, Del Amitri, Wet Wet Wet, Nazareth, Simple Minds, The Jesus And Mary Chain, Primal Scream, The Proclaimers. . .

Why are they so far ahead of us with class bands when we ruled their asses for thousands of years? It's not fair. Which bands can reinstate our title as the owners of North Atlantic Rock?

One could also argue that those bands are absolute ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't forget Steelers Wheel.

Although they really shouldn't be stuck in the middle with...that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've never heard of any those bands, except for simple minds, and even they have about 2 good songs at best..

Are you 12?:p

Random fact, a far out cousin of mine played bass with Simple Minds until 1978. Before they became famous. Stupid bastard.

osarusan wrote: »
    Steelers Wheel too.

That's Gerry Rafferty though. Not a band. A legend :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Are you 12?:p

Random fact, a far out cousin of mine played bass with Simple Minds until 1978. Before they became famous. Stupid bastard.

Are you 60 ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingMonkey

you consider wet wet wet to be a great rock band :pac:

KingMonkey wrote: »
    you consider wet wet wet to be a great rock band :pac:
    They're popular, give them their dues!:pac:

I consider Texas to be a great rock band but I didn't include them in my OP because people think I'm weird for that opinion,:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Cocteau Twins as well.

Ruu wrote: »
    Cocteau Twins as well.

Trust Ruu to think of the cock!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus you've got terrible music taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

I don't know Nazareth and I really dislike a lot of those late 80s acts like Deacon Blue, Del Amitri and Wet Wet Wet, but I love Primal Scream and The Jesus And Mary Chain and Cocteaus. Simple Minds are popular but under appreciated critically - they did some amazing stuff.

I only know two songs by The Proclaimers - the less said about 500 Miles the better, but Letter To America is good.

Also, Teenage Fanclub, The Blue Nile, Altered Images, Belle & Sebastian - Scotland rocks!

Jesus you've got terrible music taste.

Tell me this isn't a class tune

You forgot Big Country. Pure class.
    In A Big Country - what a fecking song!

Texas have some great songs too - nothing weird about that.

They're popular, give them their dues!:pac:

I consider Texas to be a great rock band but I didn't include them in my OP because people think I'm weird for that opinion,:)

oh god :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

What of Belle and Sebastien?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Tell me this isn't a class tune

That's not a class tune :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Misery =creativity.
    We created some great stuff during the eighties recession.

• Advertisement

simple minds and big country good,the rest...meh not somuch :pac:

What of Belle and Sebastien?
    A wee few posts back. :)

KingMonkey wrote: »
    simple minds and big country good,the rest...meh not somuch :pac:
    Amazing song.

That's not a class tune :pac:

What would a hunky monster know?:P

Random fact number two for this thread, forgot about this. Was trying out the soundproofing for the 25000 watt sound system in the nightclub I was running, 'I don't want a lover' by Texas was the track selected to try it out. We blew the windows out of two old ladies' houses as well as the local courthouse.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The lead singer from Nazareth should have gotten the AC/DC job ahead of Brian Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What would a hunky monster know?:P

Random fact number two for this thread, forgot about this. Was trying out the soundproofing for the 25000 watt sound system in the nightclub I was running, 'I don't want a lover' by Texas was the track selected to try it out. We blew the windows out of two old ladies' houses as well as the local courthouse.:o

Sounds like Tennents talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

siblers wrote: »
    One could also argue that those bands are absolute ****e

You wouldn't need to argue it.

kneemos wrote: »
    Sounds like Tennents talk.

I wasn't always a washed up good for nothing potato growing turf footing Tennent's drinker my friend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You serious OP? I can think of a good few LOCAL, contemporary bands who kick the hole off most of your list. We have it good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some of those bands are grand, but pirate metal is Scotland's best contribution to music.

Advertisement