Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something about metal detector

• 13-03-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hello !
    I have a professional metal detector and a lot experience
    with this tool.My question is where or if it possible to find
    work in archeology because.I know that using metal detector
    is illegal in Ireland but in Cork is factory of Minelab http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=SB35Qtd69CA.So we can buy it but we cant use this.
    In UK is different law (detekting there is legal (not everywhere)
    And when searcher will found a treasure:)
    He will have a price.http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yg9tRiVFm0
    Here in Ireland.If I had find on the grassland medival coin
    and I will go to garda with this.What will happen:confused:

1.They will give me fine and take my metal detector.
    2.They will close me in jail,in newspaper will be article about catched
    robber, plunderer itc.
    3.They will give me prize.

Isnt the law bad.
    sorry for my english.
    Cheers;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Yes, under the National Monuments Acts using a metal detector to search for archaeological artifacts is illegal without a licence from the Department of the Environment. If caught you can be fined and the detector confiscated.

In some cases metal detecting can be a useful archaeological tool, for example if topsoil has been removed from an archaeological site without monitoring taking place, to find any metal artifacts. But it must be done under licence:)

Saabdub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Jakub25 wrote: »
    Hello !
    I have a professional metal detector and a lot experience
    with this tool.My question is where or if it possible to find
    work in archeology because.I know that using metal detector
    is illegal in Ireland but in Cork is factory of Minelab http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=SB35Qtd69CA.So we can buy it but we cant use this.
    In UK is different law (detekting there is legal (not everywhere)
    And when searcher will found a treasure:)
    He will have a price.http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yg9tRiVFm0
    Here in Ireland.If I had find on the grassland medival coin
    and I will go to garda with this.What will happen:confused:

1.They will give me fine and take my metal detector.
    2.They will close me in jail,in newspaper will be article about catched
    robber, plunderer itc.
    3.They will give me prize.

Isnt the law bad.
    sorry for my english.
    Cheers;)

Saabdub is correct, these need to be licensed.

Now, I am not saying keep the coin as you already mentioned that you have it but if you are really worried about repercussions just put it into an envelope and send it to the National Museum and maybe include a short description where exactly you found it (County, Area, etc.). No need to give your name if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

Yes, but I would like to have cooperation with Archeological-teams.
    I know they are using detectors to check ground and they need
    sometimes help.Is that possible?

Yes, but I would like to have cooperation with Archeological-teams.
    I know they are using detectors to check ground and they need
    sometimes help.Is that possible?

I am not sure. Your best bet might be to contact different companies and see if they need someone on a more permanent basis. They would probably then be able to apply for a licence for you. However, that doesn't mean that you can go and "detect" anywhere. It has to be within the confines of the archaeological field/project that the company is working on.

Anybody know where in co Wexford are archaeological companies?

• Advertisement

Enybady know where in co Wexford are archaeological companies?

Try Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology in the Enniscorthy Enterprise Centre:).

Saabdub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whites

Hello!

I'm in Dublin's area. I like metal detecting, but I can't find any detecting law. I know I don't use my detector in archaelogical sites, but on the beaches are also illegal? Anybody could help me?

Thanks
    Whites

whites wrote: »
    Hello!

I'm in Dublin's area. I like metal detecting, but I can't find any detecting law. I know I don't use my detector in archaelogical sites, but on the beaches are also illegal? Anybody could help me?

Thanks
    Whites

Hi Whites,

I think it is up to the person who wants to search an area to see if it falls under the National Monuments Act. The search as well as the possession of "detection devices" are covered under the National Monuments Act 1930 (Principal Act), the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1954, the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1987 as well as the 1994 (Amendment) Act and the most recent 1999 (Amendment) Act. The main part concerning the "detection devices" is found under Section 2 of the 1987 Act. The title of Section 2 is: Restriction on use of detection devices.

Using metal detector is illegal because here in Ireland law isnt good.
    Here is link about detecting in UK.They have law what protect items before breakdown.Please everybody read this.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/our-hobbys-detractors.html

and here from beach in Florida

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMVZKbGm_c&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whites

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi Whites,

I think it is up to the person who wants to search an area to see if it falls under the National Monuments Act. The search as well as the possession of "detection devices" are covered under the National Monuments Act 1930 (Principal Act), the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1954, the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1987 as well as the 1994 (Amendment) Act and the most recent 1999 (Amendment) Act. The main part concerning the "detection devices" is found under Section 2 of the 1987 Act. The title of Section 2 is: Restriction on use of detection devices.[/qu

Hi Preusse,

thanks for your helping! I will find this section.
    I hope use a detector on the beach is not illegal.

Whites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

as far as i know your only allowed to metal detect between low and high water marks on the beach.
    if you think the uk law is progressive you should have watched the time team programme a couple of weeks ago where as far as i could work out the entire site was stripped of finds (for years) before the authorities were contacted (and only then because they came across a burial) most of the finds were sold on ebay. dont know what the solution is but wholesale use of metal detectors isnt it

edit
    codename ainsbrook was the programme
    http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/2008/ainsbrook/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

It's illegal to use a metal detector anywhere without a license. The NATIONAL MONUMENTS (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1987 says that using one near a national monument or to search for archaeological artefacts is illegal, and that if you're caught using one anywhere the assumption will be made that you are using it to search for archaeological artefacts.

Here's the relevant parts of the act:
    (1) Subject to the provisions of this section a person shall not—

( a ) use or be in possession of a detection device—

(i) in, or at the site of, a monument of which the Commissioners or a local authority are the owners or guardians or in respect of which a preservation order is in force or which stands registered in the Register, or

(ii) in an archaeological area that stands registered in the Register, or

(iii) in a restricted area,

or

( b ) use, at a place other than a place specified in paragraph ( a ) of this subsection, a detection device for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects, or

( c ) promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects.

And:
    (6) Where in a prosecution for an offence under this section it is proved that a detection device was being used, it shall be presumed until the contrary is proved that the device was being used for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects.

(7) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (5) of this section to show that the act constituting the offence—

( a ) was the subject of a consent under this section granted to him, or to a person in relation to whom he was acting as servant or agent at the time of the commission of the act, and in force at that time and was not a breach of a condition of the consent, or

( b ) was authorised by a prospecting licence granted under Part II of the Minerals Development Act, 1940 .

(8) In this section"detection device"means a device designed or adapted for detecting or locating any metal or mineral on or in the ground, on, in or under the sea bed or on or in land covered by water, but does not include a camera.

"promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects"

So why Argos selling metal detectors?
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500209955&

They writed on the left "To use this metal detector in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland,
    you are required by law to obtain a permit. Permits are available from your local council" Is possible to get this permit for somebody
    who isnt archeologist? Anybody tried this?

"promote, whether by advertising or otherwise, the sale or use of detection devices for the purpose of searching for archaeological objects"

So why Argos selling metal detectors?
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001101&productId=1500209955&

They writed on the left "To use this metal detector in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland,
    you are required by law to obtain a permit. Permits are available from your local council" Is possible to get this permit for somebody
    who isnt archeologist? Anybody tried this?

Hi Jakub,

Argos are UK based where the law is different and they haven't properly indicated the Law in the Republic. The license is available under the National Monuments Acts so you have to apply to the National Monuments Service and the National Museum. Without a convincing archaeological purpose they are unlikely to grant you a license. I suggest you contact the Duty Officer in the Museum for more information on 01-6777444:).

Saabdub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think the case and legislation related to this subject has been well explained in the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement