Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting these texts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

But only last week you were waking up every day to texts from 3 or 4 guys wanting to get intimate...

Eh Joking obviously?

But yeah thanks for reminding me of a good week;)

"getting intimate"? It was just sex. Don't gay it up more then it was man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm getting these

is it google or facebook giving out our number cos i gave my number to nowhere

i have two mobiles and i use trhe "spam mobile " for anything i put a number into but my "good" number is getting these txts only ones i ever got to

but face book and google mail verification both got that number

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I got one saying Id been entered in a draw to win 270,000 pounds and that i was to send over my email,name, and phone number to some email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I got a txt about two month's ago concerning my internet banking which i ignored and deleted,I decided to ring my bank and tell them about it as I wondering how the scammer's had gotten my number,the first question the bank asked was "did you put an ad on done deal recently" which i had.
    Apparently scammer's are picking random phone numbers from that site.

which is why I'll never use them for selling, putting your phone number or email address out in the public domain is very risky imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

I got some bull**** text yesterday saying id won the blackberry lottery.I know some people who got it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm really quite curious as to where they are getting these numbers.

I use my phone number so little it would nearly have to be some fairly respectable organisation, or random chance.

I've certainly never used it to enter a competition or put it up on a buy and sell site. Although, it is on every CV I've ever sent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Got something similar on Saturday from a UK number telling me I had won $2million USD. Waiting to hear back on currency conversion charges before I get onto them about it. If it's not worth my while won't bother tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just got one now, I am rich :-)

:p Sent them my Ulster bank details but they would not except them :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Weird that they can tailor the message to the specific phone you have - the one I got was for Sony and it made it seem semi legit as I do have a Sony phone, but I doubted Sony would send a message with a messed up link i.e. ( (www.sony.ie.freegiveawaymadness.info) Please refrain from using the link - it's my prize, keep your grubby hands off. :().

I received "Your mobile # has won $1500000 in Nokia/Freelotto. Ref xxxxxx. To claim email your name, email & mobile to freelotto@nokiaconnect.org."

I have a samsung. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

realies wrote: »
    Sent them my Ulster bank details but they would not except them :o;)

But would they accept them? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Got one last night, I won 2million dollars in the uk freelottopromo. I'm really careful with my mobile number so I'd love to know where they pick them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I got one last night to my Irish number. At four in the ****ing morning, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I'm wondering if these are the same messages where you get charged a quid or so every time you recieve them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I'm wondering if these are the same messages where you get charged a quid or so every time you recieve them?

Nope, but you probably will after you click the link, fill in ur details(or send them) cos somewhere in small writing that you should have read is a part that says you agree to receive them then.

That is one of reasons for them to fish out for people who would be clicking the links and filling their details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I got a cheque from "State Savings" the other day, reckons I won some money. Looked like the real deal and all and the numbers even matched my actual prize bonds. How they knew I had those is anyone's guess.

Didnt fool me though, no sir. Ripped that bitch up and binned it right away. You'd want to get up pretty early in the morning to put one over on old smeggers. :cool:

i got one about 5mins after looking at the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Donedeal? Has anyone got one of these texts and not had an ad on donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

That would be my reasonable guess as to where the numbers are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

My sister is a millionaire now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

I'm going to put this out there and say that there is perhaps a rogue app for a smartphone thats downloading peoples contacts?

Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Thanos wrote: »
    Not sure it is this, I do not have a smart phone (4 year old Nokia) and I got 2 yesterday....?!?!

was wondering if it was some sort of random dialer macine that just goes through all the numbers until it gets a hit, then send the message?

I havent gotten any of these txts, and yet, my number is very public and out there everywhere. At least one of them anyway.

I recon thats what it is. It is TOTALLY random, but once you get one txt ur number is listed as a number in use and then they all keep sending you. The first message you get is totally random. They dont need to go through any donedeal ads or anything. It is easy to come up with random numbers one u know they all start with 085, 086, 087, 089 and so on. U just make up 7 numbers after that, chances are they hit home every now and then and if the txt goes through u keep a list of these numbers and keep sending to same ones plus list is growing every day.

Going through any ads or trying to "find" numbers in internet would be too much hassle for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanos wrote: »

Not impossible. Your number could be in someone else's contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Yeah, I got one about 2 weeks ago from an American number saying ''CONGRATULATIONS! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hours.''

Then I got another text from an English number yesterday saying ''CONGRATS! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAS WON $2,000,000 USD IN THE FREELOTTO MOBILE PROMO. FOR CLAIMS SEND MAIL WITH NAME TO claimsfunds@live.co.uk & CALL +447045750703.''

Wouldn't mind but you'd think they'd pick a more realistic amount rather than 2 million dollars, and their e-mail address is a hotmail address, what sort of lotto company has a hotmail address? Haha, I really wonder if anybody is dumb enough to fall for these things. I don't know where they'd have gotten my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

Yep, got one yesterday - the BBC one. Janey, it was a bit obvious like - even my daughter said "you couldn't have won, Mummy cos you didn't enter any draw"

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yeah got one this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Judging by all the replies on here I wouldn't want to have the scammers phone bills!! I got 2 txts ,one telling me I won £1,000,000 and the other $2,000,000. Both from english numbers. Someone has to fall for this ****e or it wouldn't be worth their while surely? Ask Joe probably has a special lined up on this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

got the free lotto one yesterday (uk mobile) and a microsoft uk promo one this morning (USA, dallas) and one from the "free lotto uk" last week (uk mobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
    Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

derb12 wrote: »
    I had never received anything like this on my phone but I got 2 of them in the last 3 days.
    Very careful with my number usually, I only ever give it where there is a genuine possibility that it'll be needed - like for Tesco online shopping if they can't find my house. Or Aerlingus or Ryanair - I've probably given it to them as well. I always just put in random numbers otherwise.

I'm curious to know how they are getting peoples phone numbers too.
    Some people reckon they are just sending texts to random numbers.

Advertisement