Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiny Homes

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ecohouse.ie were advertising a full spec (hrv, underfloor heat, pv solar, triple glazed) 3 bed 110sqm passive standard modular sip build for 150k ex vat plus site works, a year or two ago. Modular so I'd imagine this could be scaled up and down to suit modules. Build time was 8-12 weeks and a few weeks on site iirc. Would that work out cheaper then a comparable traditional build in the end?

Yes if paying a builder and doing one off by the book. Seems a good deal to be frank.
    110sq m unfinshed cost at least the 150k plus vat plus the Hrv plus enabling works.

Not shifting goalposts but I've been in 2 one off houses in last week. Neither fella got a builder or paid much VAT. I think this is the lure for a lot of fellas in the countryside. Cut plenty corners while they're at it. Ever look at the scaffold at one of these mc mansions? Wouldn't put a cat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Yes if paying a builder and doing one off by the book. Seems a good deal to be Frank.
    110sq m unfinshed prob cost the 150k plus vat plus the Hrv

I thought so too, especially if you scale it down a bit. I even got a pdf of the modules from them for a gander some time back. Can't see the system advertised on their main site now however so maybe it never took off. Bizarre if it didn't and I don't know why the goverment don't consider these options if they're out there but hey, it's Ireland.

*Sorry OP and others to sidetrack the thread a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Talking to the engineers and planners in Meath the other day.
    It wont be called local needs.
    Basically their new development plan is going to cut any unnecessary builds down to defined villages and centres.
    Necessary will be for those farming over a certain acreage only!! ...... so they get away from local needs altogether. Ideally they want no more one housing

Unless a politician or 2 gets in their way knowing this country.

What if you want to farm a quarter acre, rotating crops and livestock and maintaining the land organically? It's preventing individuals from pursuing their own self-sufficiency, enslaving them to their job and taxes and all the crap that makes otherwise reasonable people want to burn society to the ground. Is there anywhere in the world free of the tyranny and the oppression of domineering governments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Is there anywhere in the world free of the tyranny and the oppression of domineering governments?

Short answer ............... no.

What if you want to farm a quarter acre, rotating crops and livestock and maintaining the land organically? It's preventing individuals from pursuing their own self-sufficiency, enslaving them to their job and taxes and all the crap that makes otherwise reasonable people want to burn society to the ground. Is there anywhere in the world free of the tyranny and the oppression of domineering governments?

Do it in mayo or somewhere less strict.
    Buy an existing house.
    Stop polluting the countryside with one off mc mansions.
    Get a half acre within village extents.

You see the tyranny of oppression of domineering governments. I see too little too late to save once lovely green counties like Meath and Kildare. Villages are more sustainable. Next logical step be to incentivise farmers to let hedgerows away from roads grow and expand. Maybe even the odd pond. Bitta nature. Not houses and grass everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Buy an existing house.

You see the tyranny of oppression of domineering governments. I see too little too late to save once lovely green counties like Meath and Kildare. Villages are more sustainable. Next logical step be to incentivise farmers to let hedgerows away from roads grow and expand. Maybe even the odd pond. Bitta nature. Not houses and grass everywhere.

Youre kinda mad. No said anything about building mansions or one offs.

Buy an existing house.

I agree with that but I also think we should ban townies and city folk from the countryside because all they do is drop their filth out of the car windows and pollute the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

All the bored/board people in here going ballistic is very amusing. I don't intend to build a mansion and I'm not going to be dropping litter.

We're keeping an eye on Cloughjordan and other areas in Munster. Might even go as far up as Lough Derg, but that's very expensive.

Some relatives have offered to let us have some land locally in Cork as well, so that's an option too and I already do a lot of work on their land so that looks very appealing, but I don't want there to be issues with ownership down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I agree with that but I also think we should ban townies and city folk from the countryside because all they do is drop their filth out of the car windows and pollute the place.

You want to ban freedom of travel? Judging by your comments have you confused this thread for After Hours?

You want to ban freedom of travel? Judging by your comments have you confused this thread for After Hours?

No just that some people should be confined to their homes. Why townies think the countryside is a rubbish dump I fail to understand

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Some awful lot of bar stoll clap trap being spouted in this thread.

Local Needs is not being phased out.

Not every piece of land is suitable for a home.

Not every rural home is a blight on services or a pollutant.

If you want to live in a house, it must comply with all building regulations... There are no loopholes.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Some awful lot of bar stoll clap trap being spouted in this thread.

Local Needs is not being phased out.

Not every piece of land is suitable for a home.

Not every rural home is a blight on services or a pollutant.

If you want to live in a house, it must comply with all building regulations... There are no loopholes.

Apologies yeah went off on one.

Would disagree on blight on services. Planned development a la England far more economical as a state to provide services.

There is no secret being made in Meath co co that by November they want all future houses in village or designated centre. The proposal is for one offs gone essentially.

There are a raft of planning submissions ongoing in advance.

I fully expect that the political will is not there to follow through but this is the current situation.

As per OP appreciate you're not planning a mansion, the problem is lately every one off house in Meath or kildare seems to be 3000 square foot. It's gone out of hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No just that some people should be confined to their homes. Why townies think the countryside is a rubbish dump I fail to understand

Mod note

You are borderline trolling now.
    Warning has already been given, both on and off thread.

Next stop is a ban for posters spouting inflammatory statements with no basis, truth or facts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Everything does need to be regulated it isn't oppression or even close. Some of us are old enough to remember when there was a lot less regulation and also what happens when regulation is ignored. You might want to live like The Good Life but what if you have children their safety and well being should be of a particular standard. What way are you going to live when you get old and can't keep you self sustaining life? Does the state now have to take care if you.

Look at the fire that killed the traveller families because they ignored electrical standards. They want to live their lifestyle but obviously the fire regulations shouldn't have been ignored to let them do that. Priory hall was a result of ignoring regulations.

Just because you want to do something does6mean you should be allowed because you may very well never have considered all the consequences but other have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Jesus this thread has turned into some ****show that's not really giving the OP any constructive advice.

For your info OP, I built a log cabin out my back garden ten years ago, initially just for my teenage lads to play music but it always had a shower and toilet in case we wanted to use it for long term use.

Turned out my daughter lived in it for five years. It is the warmest, cosiest space I've ever been in. With one electric storage heater that only had to be on for an hour a day it was always warm and cosy.

I would live in it now myself except it's in Dublin and I don't want to be there anymore.

May change my mind as I get older though and it's still available for me.

No planning permission was granted but then again none of my neighbours ever complained.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Jesus this thread has turned into some ****show that's not really giving the OP any constructive advice.

For your info OP, I built a log cabin out my back garden ten years ago, initially just for my teenage lads to play music but it always had a shower and toilet in case we wanted to use it for long term use.

Turned out my daughter lived in it for five years. It is the warmest, cosiest space I've ever been in. With one electric storage heater that only had to be on for an hour a day it was always warm and cosy.

I would live in it now myself except it's in Dublin and I don't want to be there anymore.

May change my mind as I get older though and it's still available for me.

No planning permission was granted but then again none of my neighbours ever complained.

Mod Note

In this forum, we obey the law. What you have described is illegal and should not be advised to anybody. Please do not do that again.

So, on that note the thread is locked until further notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement