Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

There is a rough element around Dunnes and Spar. I was walking back from Dunnes yesterday evening, and the bangers had started where the delivery trucks go in and out so I had to walk the long way around the pub.

That being said, I've been here a year now and never got any hassle off any of the kids. Some neighbours have been approached to buy drink for underage kids outside Spar, but that used to happen in Sandymount when I was growing up so that's hardly an indication of the class of an area. There is a larger number of 10-14 year olds around quite late in the evening, which isn't something you get in nicer areas though. I definitely agree that the further you are up the Ballyogan Road, the better.

There's benefits and drawbacks of Clay Farm over the Gallops. On the up side for the Gallops, it's more settled, has fully grown trees, front gardens and most of the houses are semi-detached and have side access. I would have a personal preference for the look of the houses too. But those things are reflected in the price of the houses. 3 beds in the Gallops are generally 10-15% higher in price than the 3 beds in Clay Farm.

However, Clay Farm has some advantages over the Gallops. Most of the 3 beds I've seen for sale in the Gallops (non-extended ones) are around 92-95 sq m, whereas the Clay Farm 3 beds are 107 sq m. So you sacrifice the front garden for space on the inside. In addition, Clay Farm houses are A-rated with roof solar panels, so your electricity bills are going to be a lot cheaper and the house is going to feel a lot cosier. Once the Ecopark opens (it's partially open already) and the pedestrian access to Stepaside opens in spring next year it should be a nice 20 min walk to Stepaside village from Clay Farm, whereas it'd be another 20 minute walk from most of the Gallops. So a few advantages there. Plus I suppose the Help to Buy scheme applies to Clay Farm, but not the Gallops, which would be quite the attraction for first time buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 littlecabbage

Just wondering if anyone went to the launch? Is it worth buying?
    Looks expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

A friend who lives in the estate sent me a photo of people queuing up on Thursday last week in the rain to buy the apartments! Couldn't believe it as I think the prices are pretty damn high in a Dublin 18 market that has been moving slowly downwards over the past six months or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Henbabani

ionapaul wrote: »
    A friend who lives in the estate sent me a photo of people queuing up on Thursday last week in the rain to buy the apartments! Couldn't believe it as I think the prices are pretty damn high in a Dublin 18 market that has been moving slowly downwards over the past six months or so...
    Sounds weird because the lunch was only on Saturday, can’t believe people slept 2 days in the car for those apartments.
    The real indicator is to see if they will have more open viewings next weekends.

There was about 10-15 people queuing on Thursday evening, presumably because Savills told them that that was the earliest they could queue. The official launch was on Saturday. Given the storm was forecast for Thursday evening/night someone from Savills must have come out to give out tickets because I passed the building at around 8pm and everyone was gone. An acquaintance went to the launch on Saturday and secured a ticket, so they certainly weren't all sold to the Thursday evening queue, but perhaps the 2 beds or 1 beds were more popular, or people wanted an apartment with a certain aspect or whatever.

I went to look at the apartments myself on Saturday. The bedrooms are a good size and the bathrooms, but the kitchen is TINY. It's basically just a corner of the living room. Now, maybe they designed the apartments with young professionals in mind who won't be cooking so much, but they really need to move on from that view. There were lots of young families looking at the apartments.

I'd say the apartments haven't sold out yet, but they might do before the end of the year if the rumours regarding reform of the Help to Buy scheme are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 auris00

Hi all,

Maple hall is launching at beginning of January, no prices out yet.
    Anyone know what the 2 beds in Larkfield hall were selling for?

Also - any tips for reserving one of the apartments? Do people actually queue the day before? Do all apts disappear immediately?

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

auris00 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Maple hall is launching at beginning of January, no prices out yet.
    Anyone know what the 2 beds in Larkfield hall were selling for?

Also - any tips for reserving one of the apartments? Do people actually queue the day before? Do all apts disappear immediately?

Thanks
    When the launches before there were queues from Thursday onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Area is becoming a litttle bit of a mess plauged with appalling traffic an overloaded Luas and growing amounts of social housing, Ballyogan is due for a major expansion with 120 more council houses to be built at the back of the school never mind the council housing in Clay Farm.

Apartments with no parking and a panoramic view of an ESB substation / Ballyogan Dump and people line up in the rain to hand over nearly 300k for a one bed....at the height of the last boom when everyone went nuts the one beds were 320 in the Gallops....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Social apts in The Ash were given out a few weeks back. I know 2 different people who got them, they weren't given them willy nilly either, references, tax, bank statements, earnings, all checked up on.

Area is becoming a litttle bit of a mess plauged with appalling traffic an overloaded Luas and growing amounts of social housing, Ballyogan is due for a major expansion with 120 more council houses to be built at the back of the school never mind the council housing in Clay Farm.

Apartments with no parking and a panoramic view of an ESB substation / Ballyogan Dump and people line up in the rain to hand over nearly 300k for a one bed....at the height of the last boom when everyone went nuts the one beds were 320 in the Gallops....

Do you live near Clay Farm? Admittedly the traffic is getting worse, and that is going to have to be dealt with.

At the moment, the Luas is not overcrowded. I get on between 8.15 and 8.30 in the morning, and always get a seat. Yes, when more houses are built and Cherrywood develops that will be different, but right now the Luas this far out is fine.

I know what you mean about the apartments overlooking the substation, but that's only two blocks, and only one side of those two blocks (one of which is a social housing block I believe). Most of the views are of the mountains or over leopardstown itself.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say behind the school. Behind the school is the M50. If you mean the green area beside the school, well they can't be built there as an Educate Together Secondary School is being built there as far as I know. The council are in the process of buying the land from Horse Racing Ireland. If you mean behind the current Ballyogan Estate then fair enough. I guess there are around 250 houses on that estate already. I wouldn't be hugely in favour of it expanding - it's not the worst estate in the world (I lived close to Edenmore for a period about twenty years ago, it's nothing like that), but I guess the fact that you don't have a huge amount of problems from it is because it's a small estate. So we'll see. Having said that, I'm very much in favour of an increase in building council houses as central way to alleviate the homelessness epidemic, so I can hardly be all NIMBY about it.

As to the social housing in Clay Farm, I've met a couple of the mums that have moved into one of the two social housing blocks (their kids are in the same school as mine). Totally lovely. More power to them. And I've literally seen no anti-social behaviour on our estate since the blocks opened six months ago. I'm all for mixed developments.

The prices for the apartments are ridiculous. I'm right with you there. But I suppose if you're forking out €2000 a month rent for a two bed maybe €1500 in a mortgage payment for a €300k apartment doesn't look like a bad option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

JDD wrote: »
    At the moment, the Luas is not overcrowded. I get on between 8.15 and 8.30 in the morning, and always get a seat. Yes, when more houses are built and Cherrywood develops that will be different, but right now the Luas this far out is fine.

I would disagree with that. I get on at the Gallops every morning between 8:00 and 8:30 and while I will always be able to get on, I would be lucky to get a seat once every three weeks. However, there have been many mornings were I have seen people being left on the platform at Glencairn as the Luas is almost at capacity when it arrives, so not everybody could get on. Glencairn is a long way from the city centre for the Luas to already be full. The morning commute is much better than the evening one, getting home is a nightmare

In fairness, the seats are few and far between 8.15 and 8.25. The 8.30 tram always has seats. I'm lucky because I get on at Marlborough in the evening, so again, always get a seat. I've only been once on tram where people at Glencairn couldn't get on, and that's when there was some sort of delay and there was no tram for nine minutes, so there was at least twice the people then normal trying to get.

I do feel sorry for the people who live from Ballaly inwards - I'd say they can't get on it between 7.30 and 8.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kriash

Did any one did happen to book Mapple hall on Saturday we went there early still got token no starting 22 and were informed that other people got token on Thursday as they were queuing for that day which is preposterous for which we were never informed and the developer is encouraging the people to do so again and again and balming others not themselves this is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AstronomyGuy

Kriash wrote: »
    Did any one did happen to book Mapple hall on Saturday we went there early still got token no starting 22 and were informed that other people got token on Thursday as they were queuing for that day which is preposterous for which we were never informed and the developer is encouraging the people to do so again and again and balming others not themselves this is pathetic.

Hi Kriash, Hope you ended up getting one! I went to view the properties twice and both times the sales agent mentioned that last time people started queuing on the Wednesday evening! Fortunately I was able to keep an eye on things on the Thursdays so once I saw a queue form I was able to join. Speaking to people in the queue, they said they were willing to stay put until sat morning if needs be. I found Savills to be great.

Park Developments shouldn't allow people to queue until the opening day. This lark of queuing 3-4 days beforehand is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

When is the walkway due to open? Looks like a lovely amenity for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

mollser wrote: »
    When is the walkway due to open? Looks like a lovely amenity for the area
    Which walkway? The connection to Stepaside is supposed to take about 6 months to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Supposed to open in February.

• Administrators Posts: 53,349 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JDD wrote: »
    Park Developments shouldn't allow people to queue until the opening day. This lark of queuing 3-4 days beforehand is nonsense.

They can't stop it.

They'll give out tickets now because the optics of people having to sit out overnight in the middle of winter are not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

p15574 wrote: »

That's the one - what you can see from the bridge so far looks terrific - I look forward to that being open!

• Advertisement

Hi Kriash, Hope you ended up getting one! I went to view the properties twice and both times the sales agent mentioned that last time people started queuing on the Wednesday evening! Fortunately I was able to keep an eye on things on the Thursdays so once I saw a queue form I was able to join. Speaking to people in the queue, they said they were willing to stay put until sat morning if needs be. I found Savills to be great.

Great news mate happy for you hope you got your preferred apartment. Yes I booked one of the apartments but I had to settle for the choice I made I didn't get any of my preferred apartments instead of following up with savills for 3 months as i had only Maple n sycamore hall in mind due to its sufficient distance from mobile base station n electric substation n other advantages on my end . Anyways I am happy that at least I got one of them instead of my token no 22 I never thought I would have any chance while seeing token no. Thank lord hard work paid off 😅😅🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoz

Hi all,
    Is there any neighbours group on whatsapp or facebook to discuss about any issues. I am a new resident in Sycamore hall

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Just for info, Digiweb are planning to launch our Siro broadband fibre to the home service into the new Multi Dwelling Unit in Clay Farm end of this month

Zoz wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is there any neighbours group on whatsapp or facebook to discuss about any issues. I am a new resident in Sycamore hall

Same here we have bought apartments in maple hall would be happy to join any whatsapp or Facebook group for same. I think there is group created by owners of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Anyone know when the next phase of houses is due to launch here ? And how much were the 4 beds in the last phase?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

p15574 wrote: »
    End of March now per Michael Fleming.

Has anyone heard about prices for new houses to be launched ahead and also prices for white beam hall apartment going for sale very soon.

Has anyone heard about prices for new houses to be launched ahead and also prices for white beam hall apartment going for sale very soon.

I’d imagine it’s all up in the air with what’s going on at the minute. To be honest you’d need your head examined buying property at the minute unless you’re desperate for a place.

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I’d imagine it’s all up in the air with what’s going on at the minute. To be honest you’d need your head examined buying property at the minute unless you’re desperate for a place.

Friend you seem to be frustrated with living in this country so get your head checked. I had a simple query based on the mails I have been getting from estate agent on the same rather they should be the one postponing the same instead going ahead with launches and registration checking with people

• Advertisement

Friend you seem to be frustrated with living in this country so get your head checked. I had a simple query based on the mails I have been getting from estate agent on the same rather they should be the one postponing the same instead going ahead with launches and registration checking with people

So why don’t you ask them . How do you think we’d have the prices?

Advertisement