Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like lyca are getting ready for an Irish launch

• 11-05-2012 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Lyca mobile (if it's genuine) have set up a twitter feed and are starting to follow lots of Irish "media" organisations possibly in prep for a luanch:
    https://twitter.com/#!/LycaIreland

Anyone know much about them apart from their site:
    http://www.lycamobile.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yep they're definitely coming. They've a site which isn't active yet:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie

and they tweeted this earlier:
    204459.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Was involved with some testing with them, all seems to be running smoothly, I'd say next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭kirving

Anyone else sick of the amount of MVNO's popping up? It doesn't really effect (affect?!) me because I have so many minutes that I don't care, but if I was to switch to 48 or whoever, it would cost other people to ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Choice is never a bad thing. I went with some MVNO when I was in the UK - Lenovo or something - but had 2p a minute calls back home and free internet for a week - I was there for 3 days - so it suited me fine. The other networks were much more expensive. Realistically, they're not going to hurt the big 4 that much, because they offer a fairly even service across all areas, where the MVNOs tend to focus on one aspect (An Post have cheaper rates but crap roaming and internet, 48 are unlimited but limited to age and it seems an awkward top up system etc, Tesco are a bit of an exception but unlikely to overtake 3 any time soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

I'd much rather a new network come in altogether that will improve coverage a little bit more.

We need masts. Ugly as they are we need more of the things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Cookie - Thanks for posting an update on this.

You can guarantee that Lyca will offer free Lyca to Lyca calls including to Lyca customers in other EU countries.
    Was involved with some testing with them, all seems to be running smoothly, I'd say next weekend.

What network are Lyca on? O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Fungus wrote: »
    Cookie - Thanks for posting an update on this.

You can guarantee that Lyca will offer free Lyca to Lyca calls including to Lyca customers in other EU countries.

What network are Lyca on? O2?

Yep , O2,, same crowd from Tesco looking after the technology end of things.

Their website is now live here:
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/

I'm reading up on their packages.

Their website is all over the place. From what I can gather, this seems to be what they are offering ...

LycaMobile Ireland:

1 Month top up bundles:
    • €5 top up: €5 regular credit, €5 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
    • €10 top up: €10 regular credit, €10 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
    • €20 top up: €20 regular credit, €20 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
    • €30 top up: €30 regular credit, €30 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
    • €50 top up: €50 regular credit, €50 bonus credit, 3 GB data and free LycaMobile to LycaMobile calls.
    • Bonus credit expires after 30 days.

New customer reward:
    • None.

Outside above bundles:
    • Domestic calls: 19 cent per minute to mobiles and 3 cent per minute to landlines.
    • Domestic texts: 9 cent per text.
    • Mobile data: 19 cent per MB.
    • Tethering data: No tethering packages offered.
    • International texts: 9 cent per text.
    • Webtexts: Zero.
    • International calls: 1 cent per minute to landlines in over 50 countries. Rates include UK mobiles: 9 cent per minute, USA: 1 cent per minute and Australian mobiles: 12 cent per minute.
    • Roaming: Rates include free incoming calls while roaming in the UK.
    Other provider information:
    • Network: O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

did someone just say 3GB of data for a fiver ? Me likey - even if it's capped speed wise like Tesco :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I cannot see getting 3GB of Data for €5. Also their website is all over the place.
    Free Mobile Web offer is valid until 30.06.2012 with a download limit of 3000MB per month per customer. You will need to top-up your Lycamobile SIM at least once to activate your Free Mobile Web. After the free download limit there will be charge of 19c/MB applies.

As it says above offer valid till 30.06.12
    Is that just a start up offer or something to entice new members.

I cannot see getting 3GB of Data for €5. Also their website is all over the place.

As it says above offer valid till 30.06.12
    Is that just a start up offer or something to entice new members.

The T&C's say:
    You will need to top-up your Lycamobile SIM at least once
    AND
    The top up page says:
    top-up from 5 EUR

Hence, at face value, you get 3 GB data when you top up by 5 EUR.

However, their website is as clear as mud. Maybe there is a 20 EUR minimum for 3 GB that is not clearly stated on their website?

Can anyone find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭thesandeman

From reading it seems you get the 3GB for a fiver. Bit strange the allowance doesn't increase when you top up by more though.
    I've applied for the SIM so all will be revealed.
    I'm using 3 for data at the moment and they will be hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

i know it says not tethering available, but can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭vicM

Spipov wrote: »
    i know it says not tethering available, but can you?

got a Sim today, says unlimited 3G..not bad for the fiver inclusive..will test and report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will find yourself limited to 800kbits I think, O2 installed a Sandvine to throttle MVNO customers ( and spot tethering)

so I stick the Lyca Sim into my sgs2 and await for it to grab the correct APN..nothing doing..
    Call 322 to get the setting sent and I'm told they don't have them yet! i ask how is it the network is up and no settings.."sorry sir..please check after 3 days"

I later tried calling an 1 850 number..can't be done..not a very good start Lyca

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

me no lyca!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

More like Lycramobile - stretchy, sweaty and squeezy. :D

Anyone have luck with getting a Gold SIM Number with Lycamobile? Looks like its borked to me: https://account.lycamobile.ie/select-simcard.aspx?lang=en

• Advertisement

I tried but got the same message. The regular SIM hasn't arrived yet either.

Yeah deffo not working then, a special number is nice idea. I'm still waiting on the SIM as well. Mind you only signed up on Thursday. :)

Lycamobile UK are offering free calls to Lycamobile Ireland until July 30th: http://www.lycamobile.co.uk/unlimited-ireland/en

has anyone been able to use their data?..still no luck with them

vicM wrote: »

These settings might help: http://www.lycamobile.ie/mobile-internet/en

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Still waiting on the SIM to arrive too :rolleyes:

Oracle wrote: »
    vicM wrote: »

These settings might help: http://www.lycamobile.ie/mobile-internet/en

tried the sgs ones..not working

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »

.... I ordered a Lycamobile SIM on the 14th of June ..... still waiting! :( I sent a message to customer support, got an automated reply and ... still waiting ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Do Lyca have any proofreaders? Their site is absolutely polluted with typos.

And I'm still waiting on my SIM.

Oracle wrote: »
    CaSCaDe711 wrote: »

.... I ordered a Lycamobile SIM on the 14th of June ..... still waiting! :( I sent a message to customer support, got an automated reply and ... still waiting ... :(

That's nothing. I ordered mine on the 1st. Doesn't really inspire me with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

bought a simpack today with 5euro credit pre-loaded on it.called my relatives in canada and the 1cent per minute promise works.havent tried the data yet...

Advertisement