Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster bank start late openings till 7pm from monday the 15th

• 13-02-2010 12:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ulster bank are starting late openings in branches from monday, to "support Halifax customers at this difficult time"

The unite union not happy about it going by the article in the independent: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ulster-bank-profiteering-at-stricken-rivals-expense-2061792.html
    ULSTER Bank has been accused of "naked profiteering" by organising late openings to poach customers from axed Halifax branches.

Next week the bank will extend hours at 42 branches it operates near the 44 Halifax branches where hundreds of staff face compulsory redundancy.

The longer hours, from 10am until 7pm, will start on Monday, although the Halifax branches will not begin to close until May.

Trade union Unite, which represents staff at Halifax, is furious at the move, which it condemned as "akin to dancing and singing at a car crash", and urged people to "walk quickly past" the doors of the Ulster bank branches involved.

Is this a good or bad move by ulster bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

They are providing a service to the public theres nothing wrong with that!

All banks should be open late, Most of the people work 9-5 and the banks open 10-4 what a joke!!!

Sod the unions, beard'd Sinn Fein supporters the lot of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Well its good to see unite saying something about it. While I was there, there was not much communication between them and the branch staff except a newsletter irrelevant to us. There was not many working in the branch network in the union so hopefully that has changed since I left. The closure was coming a long time. The staff were told unless they get enough customers it will be closed. Unite was no were to support us then.

I dont see what the big issue is really. Halifax are definitely closing, Unite bitching about it is not going to make a difference. Bad form telling people not to bank there too. Ulster are just doing what any business would do.

I honestly think its a good move by ulster bank, even with the bad publicity this may recieve people will still find out they are open until 7 and have now got the only visa debit in Ireland atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

shanemort wrote: »
    They are providing a service to the public theres nothing wrong with that!

All banks should be open late, Most of the people work 9-5 and the banks open 10-4 what a joke!!!

Sod the unions, beard'd Sinn Fein supporters the lot of them!

Too right, bank opening hours in this country are a joke. I have to take time off work at least once or twice a month because of the 10-5 opening hours. Online banking can only do so much. All banks should open till 7pm at least 3 days a week and open for 4 hours on a Saturday just like a Credit Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

About time although I suspect it will only be these hours until the end of May, then they will go back to the "normal" hours. If its permanent its to be welcomed and I think all other banks should follow with opening on Saturday mornings as well and actually provide a proper service to their customers.

As for the unions they go and take a running jump at this stage, the reason we are in the mess we are is because of protectionist bull from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I can't believe that many small town banks in Ireland still shut for an hour at lunch - all my local ones do. It's a right pain sometimes.
    Ulster (and the others) should think about stopping this out of date practice as well as looking at opening later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

I think that's great move of Ulster, they won me (as a client ;) ) already but this just makes me feel I made a great decision! Way to go!

I think all banks should follow and extend opening hours, as well as they should be open on Saturdays , even if that would be for 3-4 hours.

Interesting bit is that I see some action by Ulster to get as many halifax customers as possible, however it seems that any other bank out there doesn't care...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Well if Ulster Bank really wanted to help me at this difficult time they might consider opening the same hours as Halifax which would include Saturdays???? I wont hold my breath. As for banks still closing for lunch lol, I really think the Irish banks need a wake up call!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, the only ones that still close for lunchare small country ones that might only have 4 or 5 staff, so they couldn't split the lunches because there wouldn't be enough people to actually run the branch.

Toots* wrote: »
    AFAIK, the only ones that still close for lunchare small country ones that might only have 4 or 5 staff, so they couldn't split the lunches because there wouldn't be enough people to actually run the branch.

That's still a joke, like they couldn't go for lunch at different times...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well if they split the lunch ie: 2 go at 12 and 2 go at 1, that'll leave 2 people to run the branch for that hour, which isn't enough.

• Advertisement

Well if they split the lunch ie: 2 go at 12 and 2 go at 1, that'll leave 2 people to run the branch for that hour, which isn't enough.

Why 2 people is not enough? IT would still be better to have something open (like one cashier) than nothing.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's a good idea - shows a bit of marketing cleverness.

Pity it's Ulster who we've found to be staffed by fairly clueless folk though I'm sure that everyone has horror tales about different banks.

Also it's a pity that it will only be for a while - there is no doubt that despite the availability of online services branch banking hours need to be a bit more customer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

as a halifax customer, I think this is a great move and shows that they have a genuine interest. I havent heard much from AIB or BOI on this. I Was in the college green branch during the week the day after the halifax announcement and the girl was telling me that they had alot of queries from halifax customers.

Heres the news item on the website btw
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/halifax-customers.ashx
    Welcome to Halifax Customers

Due to the recent announcement, many Halifax customers may be concerned about how to manage their day to day banking needs. At Ulster Bank, we would be delighted if you would consider us as your banking partner and we're working hard to provide immediate support and appropriate solutions for your financial needs.

As a Halifax customer, you can speak to our dedicated Halifax Customer Support team on FreeFone 1800 28 30 52 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm on Saturday. Our experienced staff will look after the switching process for you. This will ensure that switching your account to Ulster Bank is as easy as possible.

Alternatively, you can apply online 24 hours a day, seven days a week by clicking on the links below. As with any application for overdrafts, credit cards, or personal loans, these will be reviewed based on your ability to afford the required repayments.

Current Accounts
    Visa Debit
    Credit Cards
    Deposits

In addition, you will also receive a very warm welcome in any of our 146 branches across the country. To make it easier for you to drop into a branch, Ulster Bank branches close to closing Halifax branches will have extended opening hours from 10am to 7pm, Monday 15th February to Friday 19th February. Our staff will be on hand to help you in any way.

Please click here for a full list of these branch locations.

In order to make the most of your first visit to Ulster Bank, it would be very useful if you could bring some supporting documents with you. Please click here for more information.

Finally, we'd just like to repeat our commitment to help minimise any disruption to your day to day banking needs and we hope that we will be welcoming you as an Ulster Bank customer very soon.

and heres the branches with the extended opening hours next week
    http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/halifax-customers/branch.ashx
    Halifax Branches UB Equivalent Branch
    College Green College Green
    St Stephens Green Grafton Street
    Ashbourne Ashbourne
    Cooklock NS SC Coolock
    Omni SC Santry Swords / Coolock
    Swords Swords
    Dun Laoghaire Dun Laoghaire
    Nutgrove Dundrum
    Sandyford Sandyford
    Ballyfermot Inchicore
    Citywest Naas /Tallaght
    Clondalkin Clondalkin
    Tallaght Tallaght
    Terenure Terenure
    Cavan Cavan
    Monaghan Monaghan
    Athlone Athlone
    Castlebar Castlebar
    Mullingar Mullingar
    Tullamore Tullamore
    Drogheda Drogheda
    Dundalk Dundalk
    Maynooth Maynooth
    Naas Naas
    Navan Navan
    Newbridge Newbridge
    Letterkenny Letterkenny
    Sligo Sligo
    Ballincollig Ballincollig
    Cork City Grand Parade UB South Mall
    Midleton Midleton
    Tralee Tralee
    Bray Bray
    Carlow Town Carlow Town
    Dunvargan Dungarvan
    Gorey Gorey
    Kilkenny Kilkenny
    Portlaoise Portlaoise
    Waterford City Waterford City
    Wexford Town Wexford Town
    Clonmel Clonmel
    Ennis Ennis
    Limerick Limerick
    Galway Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Fair play to UB and i hope the late openings will continue. I am considering switching to them on the basis of this. Not happy with my bank as it stands.

I hope the other banks follow.

jaceq wrote: »
    Why 2 people is not enough? IT would still be better to have something open (like one cashier) than nothing.

Well firstly the queues could end up being massive, and secondly from a security point of view it wouldn't be do-able.

Well firstly the queues could end up being massive, and secondly from a security point of view it wouldn't be do-able.

I think that these are just excuses, there are tiny bank branches (1-2 people) in other countries and that works well, I see no reason why it wouldn't work here.
    Also "long queue" is not excuse, it's still better to wait a bit and get sorted then not getting that opportunity at all.

Where are people getting the idea that this is even a long term thing until may ?

According to the news item it is only until friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

thomasj wrote: »
    Where are people getting the idea that this is even a long term thing until may ?

According to the news item it is only until friday.

Only for a week? That cant be surly :eek:

Davy wrote: »
    Only for a week? That cant be surly :eek:

Yep- from the Ulster Bank site..

" To make it easier for you to drop into a branch, Ulster Bank branches close to closing Halifax branches will have extended opening hours from 10am to 7pm, Monday 15th February to Friday 19th February. Our staff will be on hand to help you in any way"

• Advertisement

I think that these are just excuses, there are tiny bank branches (1-2 people) in other countries and that works well, I see no reason why it wouldn't work here.
    Also "long queue" is not excuse, it's still better to wait a bit and get sorted then not getting that opportunity at all.

Would you care to give more details on where these banks exist? I'm telling you now, if I was going into work, and only 2 of us showed up, we'd either have to borrow staff from another branch, or else we wouldn't be able to open. You can write that off as an excuse if you want, but do you not think that if the branch could open over lunch, it would? Closing for lunch sucks for staff as well as customers.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I imagine it's all due to Union pressures - lack of flexibility and all that - the IBOA are a very strong Union.

Security has sweet-all to do it. AFAIK all our banks have a "if they threaten you with a gun then give it to them" style policy (and rightly so) so whether there are two or forty-two staff makes no difference.

After all how many staff are in this mobile bank ? http://www.achilltourism.com/banking.html

parsi wrote: »
    I imagine it's all due to Union pressures - lack of flexibility and all that - the IBOA are a very strong Union.

Security has sweet-all to do it. AFAIK all our banks have a "if they threaten you with a gun then give it to them" style policy (and rightly so) so whether there are two or forty-two staff makes no difference.

After all how many staff are in this mobile bank ? http://www.achilltourism.com/banking.html

No disrespect to them (I used to be a union rep in a previous branch), but the IBOA can be a bit whingey. I don't mean security as in 'gun in the face' type situations, of course if that happens you do exactly what they ask and give them whatever they want. I mean more in terms of control of keys, safe combo panels, security of value, etc. It sometimes is just not feasible to run a branch with only two staff, it depends on the branch size and what way they're set up.

Just on a side note, I covered for a week in a branch that closed for lunch and it was a pain in the arse. The doors closed at 12, but there would still be customers in the branch. By the time they were dealt with and out the door, it was about 20 past, then you had to lock up your cash etc, so by the time you actually got to sit down for lunch it was 12.30, you had to be back at your desk at 5 to 1 so you'd be ready when the door opened. We (at least BOI) don't get paid for the lunch hour, so essentially we were doing about a half hour of work unpaid (not to mention if you were delayed that evening). Never again! It would be better for all concerned if the branch opened through lunch hour, but as I said, sometimes it's just not as easy as just leaving a staff member or two to hold the fort.

I'm really tempted to go to Achill at some stage to check out the mobile bank, I'm intrigued!! :)

Would you care to give more details on where these banks exist? I'm telling you now, if I was going into work, and only 2 of us showed up, we'd either have to borrow staff from another branch, or else we wouldn't be able to open. You can write that off as an excuse if you want, but do you not think that if the branch could open over lunch, it would? Closing for lunch sucks for staff as well as customers.

There is plenty of them in Poland.
    Also, here you have post offices with 1 or 2 staff and most of them (if not all) are POST BANK as well... so maybe it's possible even in this country?

Just on a side note, I covered for a week in a branch that closed for lunch and it was a pain in the arse. The doors closed at 12, but there would still be customers in the branch. By the time they were dealt with and out the door, it was about 20 past, then you had to lock up your cash etc, so by the time you actually got to sit down for lunch it was 12.30, you had to be back at your desk at 5 to 1 so you'd be ready when the door opened. We (at least BOI) don't get paid for the lunch hour, so essentially we were doing about a half hour of work unpaid (not to mention if you were delayed that evening). Never again! It would be better for all concerned if the branch opened through lunch hour, but as I said, sometimes it's just not as easy as just leaving a staff member or two to hold the fort.

Well, if you say that you guys in fact get only 30 minutes lunch, why can't only one person go for lunch at the time? 1: 12:00 - 12:30, 2: 12:30-13:00 and so on. I understand that in this case there would be no time for gossip etc, but this shouldn't be important really in this case.

Well, if you say that you guys in fact get only 30 minutes lunch, why can't only one person go for lunch at the time? 1: 12:00 - 12:30, 2: 12:30-13:00 and so on. I understand that in this case there would be no time for gossip etc, but this shouldn't be important really in this case.

Because the lunch is supposed to be an hour, I'd imagine. That's what's in the contracts anyway, and also, the staff are not paid for that hour. I think expecting them to work half of their lunch hour for no pay is a bit much TBH. The ideal solution IMO would be if they had someone in part time who could provide extra lunch time cover, however I can't see extra staff being taken on at the moment.

Because the lunch is supposed to be an hour, I'd imagine. That's what's in the contracts anyway, and also, the staff are not paid for that hour. I think expecting them to work half of their lunch hour for no pay is a bit much TBH. The ideal solution IMO would be if they had someone in part time who could provide extra lunch time cover, however I can't see extra staff being taken on at the moment.

I think that there always is a solution, someone who has the knowledge (legal) should sit down and figure it out. I'm not saying that this would be easy but it would be doable.

I think that there always is a solution, someone who has the knowledge (legal) should sit down and figure it out. I'm not saying that this would be easy but it would be doable.

I agree - but here in Ireland things just carry on "because that's the way it is".
    The Ulster bank I use has about 4 or 5 visible staff whenever I go in. It wouldn't be hard to stagger breaks and stop closing for lunch.
    There are still plenty of other businesses that shut for lunch in Ireland - big businesses. It's just a bad habit that people just live with - and we shouldn't put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

The opening times of banks over here is just pathetic....

Yeas im about to provide you with an other country comparison..

Bank i was with in Canada(TD) opened monday to friday 8am-8pm and saturday 8am -1pm...

Brilliant.. no matter what way you work you can always get in there..

and yes at times there were only 2 on the counter.. 2 in the branch as far as i could see.. operated fine imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Under IBOA rules a branch can not open its doors with only 2 staff. This is to protect staff saftey & to comply with internal controls, where if broken staff would be up for dismissal.
    chris85 wrote: »
    Fair play to UB and i hope the late openings will continue. I am considering switching to them on the basis of this. Not happy with my bank as it stands.

I hope the other banks follow.

Ok, some already got it. Its just for one week.
    No disrespect to them (I used to be a union rep in a previous branch), but the IBOA can be a bit whingey. I don't mean security as in 'gun in the face' type situations, of course if that happens you do exactly what they ask and give them whatever they want. I mean more in terms of control of keys, safe combo panels, security of value, etc. It sometimes is just not feasible to run a branch with only two staff, it depends on the branch size and what way they're set up.

I'm really tempted to go to Achill at some stage to check out the mobile bank, I'm intrigued!! :)

All UB branches that close for Lunch do so at 12.30-1.30. This allows for customers who would normally take there lunch break at 12-1 or 1-2 to be still able to use the branch for a half hour either side of them closing.

Online banking has come on so far in the last few years, I fail to see why people still see the need for extended opening hours. Its not going to happen wide spread as people like. It may only happen in the larger branches in main towns and cities.

So far the extended opening hours of the UB branch for the "Welcome Halifax" down here has seen next to no-one avail of the extended opening hours.

Advertisement