Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death record of child in 1940s

• 25-11-2020 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am looking for the death record of my uncle who died when he was a child, I want to find out how old he was when he died and what his cause of death was.

My Grandmother didn't want to talk about him when she was alive so no one knows. He was the eldest child and was born less than a week after a shotgun wedding.

I have his birth record, he was born in 1946. I can't find his death record. I have searched through the death records over and over.

I'm wondering if it was common for people not to register the death of a child back then?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's unlikely to have been unregistered but that might be the case.

Have you tried looking for a death notice or burial record/ headstone?

If you want to post a name I can check the newspapers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ConorBDeNiro

He's not on any of the family headstones, but I suppose that doesn't mean he wasn't buried in one of the graves. How would I find a burial record? Would I need to contact the church directly?

I'd rather not post a name. There are two local newspapers and each of them on different subscriptions. I had access to one of them for a while and there was no mention of him.

If you want to PM me a name feel free and I can check.

Can you say what cemetery it is? Depending on which one there may be online records or you might have to contact someone locally who would have access to a burial register.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If they registered his birth, it's unlikely that they would not have registered his death.
    Have you looked under:

unknown plus surname

expanded the registration districts - maybe he died in a hospital

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy, I PM'd you there.

Yeah Pinky I have done all of that. The only place I haven't checked is Northern Irish records, I know some people went to hospitals over the border. I think My Grandad was treated in a northern Irish hospital in the 60s.

• Advertisement

Not seeing that message - might be because you're a new member.

I can message you my email address if you'd like to send to that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry Hermy, I thought that PM had sent. I sent you an email there.

I've checked the Northern Ireland records now too and there is nothing there. I've searched through the records of all the children who died around that time in the county and I've searched the areas in adjacent counties with hospitals.

I'm afraid I've had no luck with the newspapers or the civil records either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for looking Hermy.

I suppose there is a chance that his death wasn't registered. I can't help thinking that if there is no death record to be found anywhere that he might not have died. If he had a disability he could have been given up to an institution. It would explain why my grandmother wouldn't talk about him.

That's definitely a possibility.

But there's also a chance that it was recorded but didn't make it as far as the online records.

You could check with GRO HQ in Roscommon to see if they have it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I am looking for the death record of my uncle who died when he was a child, I want to find out how old he was when he died and what his cause of death was.

My Grandmother didn't want to talk about him when she was alive so no one knows. He was the eldest child and was born less than a week after a shotgun wedding.

I have his birth record, he was born in 1946. I can't find his death record. I have searched through the death records over and over.

I'm wondering if it was common for people not to register the death of a child back then?

Thanks

Is it possible your Grandmother maybe had to give him up for adoption, and it was easier for her to say he had died than to explain the adoption?

I had considered that, and that's why I got his birth cert and their marriage cert to check if he was born before or after the marriage. He was born 6 days after the marriage (officially, anyway). They made the effort to make sure he wasn't illegitimate, so I don't think she would have had to give him up.

Advertisement