Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem viewing Glasnevin records

• 22-09-2020 8:31pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having an issue with records I've paid for at the Glasnevin Trust website.

If I click to view any of them it just returns a blank where the entry would normally appear.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue before I email them about it?

EDIT: I've just noticed searches for known interments aren't returning anything either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just tried.
    Signed in ok, but same as you - blank page for any records I could see previously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for checking BowWow.

I'll email them about it on the morrow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tenterfields

Any explanation from Glasnevin Trust? Site still seems not to be functioning. I tried a search on a known burial but it came back with zero results.

I've been offline since I posted that so I haven't sent that email.

I'll send it off shortly and let you know if I hear anything back from them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Lynn has just been in touch to say there was a major outage last week and that it could be another week before the system is fully up and running again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks for that report, Hermy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Hermy.

Not working for me yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

snip

Bobbyy gee: please only post relevant content.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Is the site ok for anybody else? First time trying it this morning and the search function doesn't seem to be working.

I'm seeing a message on-screen saying that the database isn't currently accessible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Has it worked since your opening post?

I haven't tried it because to the best of my knowledge they haven't fixed it yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

From their website -

"Genealogy Search
    Please note that you cannot access the genealogy database at this time. Our technical team is working to fix the issue, and we sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused."

I was in touch with Lynn about this 2 weeks ago (after Hermy) and she thought it would be fixed by the end of that week, which it obviously wasn't.

I know that a big overhaul of their genealogy site is in the offing. Wonder if they just decided to use this fault downtime to finish it off and will start afresh? That's my hopeful thinking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Is there any update on when the Glasnevin site is likely to be back?

I checked with them today. They have no current timeframe for getting the database online - lots of problems of a technical nature.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Two months and still no word.

Thanks for checking.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This is certainly taking it's time. I have a short list of burials to check now.

Was supposed to be fixed in first week of October - obviously a very serious issue...

• Advertisement

Still down. Has anyone heard anything from them?

Not a thing unfortunately.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Nothing since I last checked (gosh, almost 2 months ago). I don't want to be bothering them. They know there's a problem and I'm sure if it could be online, it would be, since it generates money for them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

"Genealogy Search
    Thank you for your patience while we work to rectify the ongoing issue with our genealogy service as well providing enhanced search features. We expect that this will become available in the coming weeks. For any genealogy queries, please contact our resident genealogist Lynn on lbrady@glasnevintrust.ie"

That's encouraging.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

pinkypinky wrote: »
    That's encouraging.

No it is not!
    Sorry Pinky, I disagree. That site is down almost FIVE months. It is an absolute disgrace. It is not good enough for a body that (per its own mission statement!) “…… operates on the premise that a high quality of customer service is derived from committed and compassionate employees working together to provide the best standard of carewhether it be through assisting with public inquiries ……”

Glasnevin Trust is in receipt of major public funding, Board Failte grants, etc. – we the taxpayers pay! Glasnevin was allocated €25 million under a 10 year programme as part of the National Development Plan in 2006. On this project to date they have spent and received funding back through OPW of €12.5m

What is wrong with ‘officialdom’ and basic IT/customer service?
    We have seen failure after failure – Garda PULSE system does not work properly; the Company Registration office system does not work properly (and the new system they are implementing is not working). Of the (about) 50,000 computers in the HSE, about 40,000 are dependent on old software and 12,000 of those cannot be replaced because they are needed to run radiology and other systems that cannot run on newer software.

The list goes on, and on…….

I am encouraged that we might have it back soon, not that it's been down for so long without explanation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Mick Tator wrote: »
    That site is down almost FIVE months. It is an absolute disgrace. It is not good enough for a body that (per its own mission statement!) “…… operates on the premise that a high quality of customer service is derived from committed and compassionate employees working together to provide the best standard of carewhether it be through assisting with public inquiries ……”

I hope you've made you're feelings known to the good folk at Glasnevin Trust.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Hermy wrote: »
    I hope you've made you're feelings known to the good folk at Glasnevin Trust.
    No, not to them because I've given up on that site. My issue is another example of rubbish service from a state funded body. Were I to write it would be to the Minister with responsibility for the OPW and put the Chairman of the Glasnevin Trust on copy. BUT the website says the Chairman is David Bunworth, the latest annual report online is 2018 and it names somebody else. There is only one email address, info@ so an email would be binned, no underling would pass it ‘up the line’. The way to go is a Parliamentary Question and embarrass the minister publicly.

Mr.Patrick O’Donovan TD has been a politician for almost his entire adult life. He is Minister of State with responsibility for the Office of Public Works since July 2020. Prior to that gig he served as Minister of State at the Department of Finance and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform with special responsibility for Public Procurement, Open Government and eGovernment, from June 2017 until June 2020. Open Government and eGovernment? and a venture under his control takes five months to fix an IT issue? Ooooh wait, he used to have special responsibility for Public Procurement……….. anyone recall, when under his rule there was a Public Procurement fiasco for PPE at the inception of Wave 1 of Covid?

Glasnevin Trust has a board of about a dozen people but only two female directors. Why? The annual report is very opaque on financials and shows little on corporate governance, not even how long the directors have served. Why? The available accounts are from 2018. Why? Where is the accountability? The directors probably are nice people but none should be allowed in office for more than 5 years and they should be paid for their work. It seems they are not at the moment for a ridiculous number of meetings.

If it’s not fixed by month end remind me and I promise I’ll write:)

PS I’d bet Lyn Brady is pulling her hair out in frustration, at a time when people would, during lockdown, be using the PPV aspects.
    PPS - Mods - move this to Chat if you wish.

• Advertisement

I would send Lyn a copy of this thread! I only talked to her once by email about this and she did sound frustrated then.

What about a letter in the Irish Times?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement