Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luas: Badly designed?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

jrmb wrote: »
    That's true but no doubt they could temporarily turn them off. In France, on-board scanners work well.

There’s no need for on board scanners really, maybe an email extra couple at stations wouldn’t go amiss. If you turned them off people could just claim I was waiting my turn and it just went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s no need for on board scanners really, maybe an email extra couple at stations wouldn’t go amiss. If you turned them off people could just claim I was waiting my turn and it just went off.
    I appreciate your point but in French cities this doesn't seem to be a problem. I've had to get used to tagging on at the last minute, on the off chance that there's no space on the tram or that it doesn't arrive for a long time. On-board scanners would eliminate that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fatknacker wrote: »
    It should have a leap scanner on board

Needs a but more than a few screws. It would require a design change in how leap itself works with luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jrmb wrote: »
    I appreciate your point but in French cities this doesn't seem to be a problem. I've had to get used to tagging on at the last minute, on the off chance that there's no space on the tram or that it doesn't arrive for a long time. On-board scanners would eliminate that.

There's barely room to breathe on rush hour trams. How many scanners are you going to need to ensure they are reachable? Where are you going to locate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fair enough, seems you got lucky. It's not been that way for me. Now there are times it's quick but for me it's taking 17-20 odd minutes going that way around 8.30ish.
    15 minutes in Friday rush hour

477893.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Map of Dublin Trams from 1922 to see what we had. The Blue lines are heavy rail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dublin_1922-23_Map_Suburbs_MatureTrams_wFaresTimes_Trains_EarlyBus_Canals_pubv2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Just shows how small the city was

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Map of Dublin Trams from 1922 to see what we had. The Blue lines are heavy rail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dublin_1922-23_Map_Suburbs_MatureTrams_wFaresTimes_Trains_EarlyBus_Canals_pubv2.jpg

Single unit double deckers, that network would never have survived today to that scale if kept. Anywhere that has tried to retain that kind of network is left with effectively tourist lines that are unsuited for actual public transport (Lisbon for instance) and have to build modern Metro lines also.

Amsterdam wound its extensive old network down to a single line that was retained due to unsuitable road layout for buses before rebuilding what worked for articulated trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Just shows how small the city was
    But then of course there was very functional multi family accommodation in Monto and similar areas which housed thousands. No need for a three bed semi out in the sticks

Advertisement