Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIII-33,444 in ROI(1,792 deaths) 9,541 in NI(577 deaths)(22/09)Read OP

1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Is 180 euros a reasonable cost for a private test and certificate in respect to travel?

Reasonable is a case of what you are willing to pay

It seems to be the going rate, however turnaround is 48 hours in Ireland which is rubbish

I can get a test for the same price this morning at Munich airport and have a result by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

We've crossed the Rubicon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Why did the CDC remove their comment that the virus is airborne?

The WHO queried it and the the CDC came out to say it was an error.

So 1% of actual negatives come back positive. That's a big number, no?

Up to 1% not 1%. Its an important point. Could be 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Reasonable is a case of what you are willing to pay

It seems to be the going rate, however turnaround is 48 hours in Ireland which is rubbish

I can get a test for the same price this morning at Munich airport and have a result by 3

Airport would be a private lab for profit rather than the health service. Cost of reagents and consumables would be 40 euros at the most if running in a full batch. Nice mark up at 180.

Even the longest PCR test is 3.5 hrs at the most, POC like the Abbott NOW is 13 mins. Even the more narrow less sensitive Antigen test like the Abbott BinaxNOW or the Roche chromatographic Antigen test are 15 mins, cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/obesity-linked-to-hospitalisation-and-icus-for-covid-19-patients-1.4361841

Obese people are 17 times more likely to end up in ICU.

This problem needs addressing. Many people in this country are wilfully eating themselves into huge problems while the rest of us suffer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Airport would be a private lab for profit rather than the health service. Cost of reagents and consumables would be 40 euros at the most if running in a full batch. Nice mark up at 180.

Even the longest PCR test is 3.5 hrs at the most, POC like the Abbott NOW is 13 mins. Even the more narrow less sensitive Antigen test like the Abbott BinaxNOW or the Roche chromatographic Antigen test are 15 mins, cheaper too.

I did think that 180 was expensive - I suppose there is a GP consultation and admin costs in there also so not as massive a mark-up.

Interesting that airlines see testing as the way forward - https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0923/1166893-lufthansa-covid-antigen-tests/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/obesity-linked-to-hospitalisation-and-icus-for-covid-19-patients-1.4361841

Obese people are 17 times more likely to end up in ICU.

This problem needs addressing. Many people in this country are wilfully eating themselves into huge problems while the rest of us suffer as a result.

It is probably getting worse by the day during the current restrictions. Level 4 (which NPHET want) will mean the further closing of exercise facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I did think that 180 was expensive - I suppose there is a GP consultation and admin costs in there also so not as massive a mark-up.

Interesting that airlines see testing as the way forward - https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0923/1166893-lufthansa-covid-antigen-tests/

Why would you consult a GP for an airport test? you would just get tested and get the result from the labs pathologist? its not like public health.

collection and admin costs are not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Just watching this so called professor, clearly a loon. That she has a PhD or masters degree doesn't mean she is immune from bad ideology - a way of viewing the world which is inimical to public health during a pandemic of a virus without any cure.

I wouldn't mind differing opinions . The way she conducted herself was pretty unprofessional especially on national TV. Anyone who thought she owned Ryan is probably looking at it with an obvious bias. Embarrassing behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not been paying enough attention and you guys sneakily took it over 10,000

New thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement