Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

tinpib wrote: »
    I'm off it 4.5 years now, my 4th attempt to give it up permanently.

I had many, many reasons to give it up not just 1. As time passes some reasons that were not too important at the time seem the most important now, and vice versa.

One of the ones that feels very important now was one time I was drinking at a weekly event that I used to really enjoy. I was in my mid 30's and I was on my own at it, which doesn't help. But I was bashing away at the beers as one does.

Then I got onto that magical 3rd beer and the head buzz started, the head buzz that used to indicate that a great night was about to be had. And as it came over me, I felt, and said out loud "this isn't fun anymore".

What I've thought about since, and this is my just my own thoughts on it, is that what makes drinking great when we are young is that we have the energy of youth. And the booze makes us giddy. It is this giddiness that is where the fun is, not the drinking in and of itself.

It used to be both, drinking and then getting drunk and giddy and then having fun.

As the years tick by we don't have the energy of youth. We drink, get drunk, but we simply don't have the energy to get giddy and thus we only have a fraction of the fun we had when we were 20. And of course you can add possibly drinking more to get drunker to try and get that giddiness, and hangovers that are far worse along with possibly a whole bunch of other disadvantages.

Maybe it was just me, but recognising that the fun giddy times are gone and are not coming back simply because of my age helps me to hopefully never pick up a drink again.

Snap - it comes with age. The weight of responsibility. The desire to lose a few pounds. The To-do list that’s not getting done. I have arrived at that point where I feel the priorities I have are greater than the reward from getting hammered. I did ten weeks booze free before Xmas. Am going to aim for the year now and take it from there on. Good luck to all.

riddles wrote: »
    The To-do list that’s not getting done.

It's really expensive catching up on the old to do lists when you come off the alcohol. I've spent a fortune in the last two weeks and I'm not done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

4 months now.

Spent a great week in South Kerry with my wife, kids and parents. The lack of self-pressure to get a pint in wherever we went was very much welcome !

One thing I've noticed is that, while I'll never go back to drinking again, there are occasions where I'd think "Wouldn't it be lovely to have a creamy pint for the day that's in it". Think of Valentina Island, looking over at the mainland, beautiful sunset, having a fantastic dinner and nearly everyone around you with a glass in their hand. To be fair, I didn't give it a second of serious consideration, I know exactly why I wasn't drinking.

It just reminded me that it's okay to be able to admit that there are times where it'd be lovely to have a pint. While I'm never going back to drinking again I think it's important for me to acknowledge that it's not just a flick of a switch. It'll still be a while before I completely rid myself of those romanticised 'creamy pint' moments.

For those of you who've reached that stage, how long is it before we stop having those 'Ah wouldn't it be lovely to have a pint now' moments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

2 weeks.

BK92 wrote: »
    4 months now.

Spent a great week in South Kerry with my wife, kids and parents. The lack of self-pressure to get a pint in wherever we went was very much welcome !

One thing I've noticed is that, while I'll never go back to drinking again, there are occasions where I'd think "Wouldn't it be lovely to have a creamy pint for the day that's in it". Think of Valentina Island, looking over at the mainland, beautiful sunset, having a fantastic dinner and nearly everyone around you with a glass in their hand. To be fair, I didn't give it a second of serious consideration, I know exactly why I wasn't drinking.

It just reminded me that it's okay to be able to admit that there are times where it'd be lovely to have a pint. While I'm never going back to drinking again I think it's important for me to acknowledge that it's not just a flick of a switch. It'll still be a while before I completely rid myself of those romanticised 'creamy pint' moments.

For those of you who've reached that stage, how long is it before we stop having those 'Ah wouldn't it be lovely to have a pint now' moments ?

I'm up to 2 years now and it never went away. The only time I don't want a drink is when I'm around people who are drinking and just at the 4/5 pint stage and they start irritating me. Though that happened when I did drink as well.
    I've had an awful few months personally (and am back smoking) but even before that I'd love a drink. Obviously there's other issues at play but if I was financially/employment-secured and still single I'd probably go back on the booze pretty hard. That's a ways away however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

A couple of days ago i completed 2.5 years. It was only triggered by the fact we were at a 'street party' with neighbours, 10 of us with kids who we arranged food and games etc and then about 5 the lads took out a couple bottles of wine and that brings us up to about 10pm or so. I had a can of heineken zero and was chatting away and someone offered me whiskey and said no i dont drink...then i showed them the zero can and sure as night follows day they were all enquiry. Someone asked me how long and i said , oh 'two and a half years....yesterday!' to which they thought, 'someones counting the days'

Was happy to leave them at it at 10 and they continued on into the night , think the lads finished the whiskey bottle. (thoughts of which actually makes my stomach heave)

So here i am , fairly on auto pilot and happy out. I've started telling people its the best decision ive made as an adult. It is, hands down.

I hope you all continue to be strong and if you fall off the wagon, the tough part is to start again but all you can do is your best.

4 months now.

There can always be that moment. Its just how you handle it or associate it, for me. I think sure, i can have one, maybe 6, maybe 10. Then i think back to how i would get if i did. Then the hangover and it all outweighs the enjoyment i would get from drinking.

Im off the smokes 10 years and sometimes i still get a pang if i see someone smoking in a car beside me in traffic. Because i guess i used to enjoy the cig in the car on the way to and from work.

There are times and things that i associate drinking beer with, eating BBQ or chicken wings or having a pizza on a friday night, il have a can of heineken zero with it and i have to say, once that initial gulp is gone. I seldom finish a can. It's our memory tricking us into thinking we really want it but its just muscle memory and association with a previous time.

If you lasted your holiday, you have a tough resolve so give yourself credit.

drydub wrote: »
    A couple of days ago i completed 2.5 years. It was only triggered by the fact we were at a 'street party' with neighbours, 10 of us with kids who we arranged food and games etc and then about 5 the lads took out a couple bottles of wine and that brings us up to about 10pm or so. I had a can of heineken zero and was chatting away and someone offered me whiskey and said no i dont drink...then i showed them the zero can and sure as night follows day they were all enquiry. Someone asked me how long and i said , oh 'two and a half years....yesterday!' to which they thought, 'someones counting the days'

Was happy to leave them at it at 10 and they continued on into the night , think the lads finished the whiskey bottle. (thoughts of which actually makes my stomach heave)

So here i am , fairly on auto pilot and happy out. I've started telling people its the best decision ive made as an adult. It is, hands down.

I hope you all continue to be strong and if you fall off the wagon, the tough part is to start again but all you can do is your best.

Also, to anyone reading my post above. I may be off booze 2,5 years. But my journey started 6 years ago. I've just read back my old posts on here in this forum and I can tell i was struggling to link a week together and probably at times , 24 hours! Just an example of nothing is automatic and nothing is easy earned, you need to stick with it.

I might be cruising now, but i certainly wasn't back in 2014 when i started reading peoples posts on here, and thinking they were crazy for not drinking and i was busy making excuses with myself. This has been a great source of support to me over the years. I tried reddit but it was too intense. This has the right level of crazy for me : )

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=698005&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Eights months for me today.

I had stopped drinking in July 2019 (before which I had been drinking way too much due to work pressure and life stress) and did not drink again until New years Eve. A couple of beers in I realized that I didn't actually need or want it so decided there and then that I was going to stop permanently.

Occasionally I get the want for a drink, mainly associated with BBQ or after a hard days work but Ive gotten to the stage now where that is becoming less and less.

It's not great fun watching everybody else getting pi**ed and I normally check out before it gets messy.

There is now a lot less stress in my life and I associate alcohol with adding to that stress rather than helping it. I have formulated other ways to deal with stress which include exercise, healthy eating, talking to friends/family. I am more open with people.

If I was going to give someone advice on how to give up alcohol it would be to find someone who you can talk openly and frankly with and that you trust. Sharing problems really is the best way to find a solution. Nothing ever seems as bad once you have shared it with someone.

Best of luck to all.

9 days. :)

• Advertisement

Day 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

8 months now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

13 days today, went to my first Zoom AA meeting yesterday, weird but familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

petes wrote: »
    13 days today, went to my first Zoom AA meeting yesterday, weird but familiar.

Hi Petes. I remember you well, we both quit around the same time I think and I could relate to a lot of what you posted. Hope you are doing ok.

tinpib wrote: »
    Hi Petes. I remember you well, we both quit around the same time I think and I could relate to a lot of what you posted. Hope you are doing ok.

Course I remember :) I'm doing okay, anxious but I always have been.

Have always realised I can't do this on my own (but my other mind thought I could!), thinking I'm okay and all that lovely stuff :)

Hope you are keeping well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

15 months now

Day 30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

17 year's, kicked the hooch and other substances etc in September 2003 one day at a time..

Still as mad as a hatter,but more content and settled in myself.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Day 30.

Well done great achievement

Fell off the wagon, back on it now. Day 8.

• Advertisement

Fell off the wagon, back on it now. Day 8.

Well done on getting back on it.

Day 39 for me.

Well done on getting back on it.

Day 39 for me.

I fell off the wagon. Thousand times but eventually we get tired of the mental and physical trauma.

Then we are done with our drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

April 2019.

Gace it up for health reasons.

32 days.

Been to some Zoom aa meetings, thought I was getting something from them but not sure, haven't been to one in a bit. Use an app with a forum for people in recovery, that helps a lot.

Will try and get back in to meetings to see if they do indeed help (help me as opposed to anyone else as they definitely do help people:))

Yeah I'm on the fence regarding AA Zoom. Haven't had the attention span of late and large meetings trigger my anxiety and paranoia. I have extreme levels of social anxiety and also anxiety due to my family and accomodation situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

817 days for me today. I don't think about it anymore, my life is just so much easier without alcohol, I'm a lot calmer and much more content. I take better care of myself and others can see it.

Good luck to everyone here
    T*

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

4 months now.

I lost that thought within a couple of days of reading 'This Naked Mind' by Annie Grace. She teaches us that alcohol does us no favours, there are no benefits to drinking. In my case, it was wine. The thought of drinking just one glass of wine turns my stomach.

Yeah I'm on the fence regarding AA Zoom. Haven't had the attention span of late and large meetings trigger my anxiety and paranoia. I have extreme levels of social anxiety and also anxiety due to my family and accomodation situation.

Maybe try LifeRing chat room ?

https://www.lifering.org/online-meeting-schedule

down the end there is a link to a chat room, non video / mic just type

I dont envy people that have given up during covid, what with the non stop talk of when the pubs will open and eveyrone and their mother pushing the 'will we ever get to have a pint again' agenda.

Its tough. Im through it but if I hadnt the time and effort put in i would probably struggle.

Keep going for all of you. Its a tough and non linear path but if it was easy everyone would be doing it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Coming up on 20 months now. :)

Delighted with myself but keeping up my twice-weekly AA meetings (on Zoom) and my programme. I also meet my addiction counsellor for a 1 to 1 once a month.

For me, it's important to balance the great progress I have made with the realisation that I cannot get too complacent.

Advertisement