Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ apologises to Cowen

• 25-03-2009 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Last night, RTÉ ran a brief, accurate report about the two unflattering paintings of Brian Cowen that appeared recently in two different art galleries in Dublin.

Tonight, at the end of the 9 o'clock news, Eileen Dunne read out an apology to Brian Cowen and his family for "any personal offence caused...and for any disrespect shown to the office of the Taoiseach by our broadcast".

Here's the original report and here's the apology.

I thought that Pat Kenny asking that breakdancing kid if he was going to black up was my 'seriously RTÉ, wtf' moment of the week. Right now, my disbelief is matched only by my anger. The paintings, however tasteless, were newsworthy, and had been covered in a number of newspapers before being picked up by RTÉ.

Apologising after receiving complaints over the tastefulness of the item was cowardly and pathetic. It suggests that there are limits to what the national broadcaster can say about the Taoiseach and other political figures. Are there? Where is the line going to be drawn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Unreal, wasn't as if it was a bad likeness either :p

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Also goes to show how conscious he is of the bad public opinion of him. Doesn't want anything except his own actions making a joke out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Police state next so it will be seeing as he's now in charge of our TV viewing, wish to god the man would just step down as Taoiseach and leave politics for good.

The boards here will be his next target :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

With all going on in this country Cowen sees fit to pursue this artist and draw ore attention to it. What a fool, watch this one really bite back, maybe if he jails the banking crooks and stops the everyday shootings, protects what jobs still exist etc before going after this artist,

Wow how stupid?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

hellboy99 wrote: »

Just goes to show how much pull and power this current idiot / crook of Taoiseach we have.

Watch your back, mate.

You might just end up disappearing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Being covered now on Pat Kenny

Some FF representative making the undercurrent that RTÉ is financed by a licence fee and should'nt make fun of the taoiseach, Pat made the point that the pictures were in the Sunday Tribune and that the govt was not looking for an apology from them.

I despair!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I totally agree with the assessment made by Stargal. This action was cowardly to say the least. RTÉ should not apologise for broadcasting a news item that has been extensively reported elsewhere.

This is approaching the way in which China operates their media. Had Cowen's office known in advance of this report, we can be sure it would never have been broadcast. This is sad, pathetic and laughable all at once.

By apologising RTÉ are towing the line! Has Cowen demanded an apology from the BBC for reporting the story? Would the BBC make such an apology? We can only wait and see.

I really hope other Irish media have more balls that this and start actively reporting, publishing the pictures and asking hard questions of both Cowen and the RTÉ response. Spineless on both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RTE= State broadcaster, they know full well what side their bread is buttered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've just sent off a missive to Pat Kenny, he might read it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Embarrassing decision by RTE. No balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Expect no less from a mouthpiece like o'carroll

• To be fair-it wasn't a piece for the main news in the way it was covered.
    It was a piece for a magazine programme or for the opening of tubridy or for podge and rodge...

They werent wrong to cover it but were wrong to treat it in the way they did.
    Their job is to Report the making fun of the Taoiseach and not make fun of him themselves.

Thats the way the piece was done and was most certainly not in my opinion what you'd find on the BBC news at ten or ITV were Gordon Brown the focus of this for example.

The news [as opposed to a discussion programme] on any broadcaster is not meant to be an opinion piece or mouthpiece for any one opinion or parody.
    It's meant to be the factual reporting of the days events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One of the reasons that a license fee exists is supposedly so that state broadcasting can continue on a long-term basis without being at the whim of the governing party. If RTÉ feel the need to back down so easily perhaps a return to a less secure form of funding might be appropriate...

• One of the reasons that a license fee exists is supposedly so that state broadcasting can continue on a long-term basis without being at the whim of the governing party. If RTÉ feel the need to back down so easily perhaps a return to a less secure form of funding might be appropriate...
    Thats ridiculous to be honest.
    Either you enforce proper complaints procedures regardless of who is complaining or you don't.

RTE isn't partial in that regard.
    They had no choice but to apologise.

I'd suggest if people here think that Cowen wasn't seriously entitled to complain about the way this was reported [as opposed to plain reporting] thentake it further and see how you get on...

This thread is just crass government bashing from what I can see- even suggesting that the decision to apologise was because of some government pressure.
    Utter Bull from what I can see.

I can guarantee that if the painting was of you or me and we were famous and complained if the report was done in the way it was done,the result would be the same-an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Disgraceful, issuing an apology like that. It's not as if RTE were the ones themselves putting the portraits in there. They just reported - in a fair manner I believe - on an event that happened.

What's more, it wasn't given top billing. It was treated as a curiosity, such as we often see on the news, and to my mind it was sensitively handled, with attention to the factual details, for example how the gallery can't sell the paintings, since they belong to someone else.

What's worse than RTE issuing the apology however is the government asking for it, which I presume they did. Cowen gets mocked for his physical appearance, but that's public life. He's a big boy and should get over it. While people might have a quick laugh at his expense, they'll retain a lot more long-term respect for him if they see him as someone who doesn't take himself too seriously.

How do we see him in the light of this event? An oversensitive, irascible bully who can't take the jibes that are the daily feature of a taoiseach's life? Or something more sinister? A vain leader who thinks he should be above ridicule, and who believes (with justification now) that he can stifle such ridicule in the media? Will he now start pushing further and criticise reporting of his political actions?

He seems to think that because he's able to get people to toe the party line in FF, that now that he's taoiseach, he should be able to dictate to RTE as if he had control over them like he does over the party.

What little respect I had for Fianna Fáil and Cowen is now totally gone. The sooner we have an election and kick this crowd out, the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thats ridiculous to be honest.
    Either you enforce proper complaints procedures regardless of who is complaining or you don't.

RTE isn't partial in that regard.
    They had no choice but to apologise.

I'd suggest if people here think that Cowen wasn't seriously entitled to complain about the way this was reported [as opposed to plain reporting] thentake it further and see how you get on...

This thread is just crass government bashing from what I can see- even suggesting that the decision to apologise was because of some government pressure.
    Utter Bull from what I can see.

I can guarantee that if the painting was of you or me and we were famous and complained if the report was done in the way it was done,the result would be the same-an apology.

Of course Cowen is entitled to complain, that doesn't mean he's entitled to be right.

RTÉ reported on an event that took place and was of some news value. It was not vital, earth-shattering or life changing but it had news value. It has now apologised for causing offence by doing its job, in the same way it might apologise to a crime victim for reporting what happened to them.

If Enda Kenny got up in the Dáil tomorrow and started lobbing personal insults at Cowen, which RTÉ would absolutely have to cover, would RTÉ be responsible for the hurt caused by them?

You can brush it off as anti-Government bile but we have seen our national broadcaster censor itself and apologise to Government for reporting facts. From what Ray D'Arcy spoke about today we are also seeing pressure from the top on Gardaí to pursue the artist by any means necessary due to the offence caused.

If that doesn't trouble you even in some small way you have to wonder what will.

My implication wasn't that it was due to government pressure. On the contrary it was due to a weak broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hardly Government bashing, I don't even live in Ireland anymore and haven't done for 5 years. The main point of my argument is that RTÉ gave in to pressure to apologise for something they had nothing to apologise for. They were weak and backed down when they should have held their ground.

The fact that Cowen complained isn't quite immaterial however as it shows that RTÉ cave in to Government pressure. Let's not forget too that there have already been echoes of Dermot Morgan & Scrap Saturday in the recent warning by RTÉ bosses to the writers of Nob Nation to tone down the Cowen bashing.

Government interference is not something to be taken lightly, nor is the fact that RTÉ backed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Dear Mr. Cowen,

Please find a link to the BCC, www.bcc.ie, should you wish to waste the time of a civil servant I suggested you use the correct ones.

Kind regards,

• Advertisement

My implication wasn't that it was due to government pressure. On the contrary it was due to a weak broadcaster.
    Correction. Now that I see that the Gardaí are committing valuable resources to it obviously they are exerting some unnecessary pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

As a matter of interest what exactly can the gardai charge the artist with?

I can't see how he broke the law. Perhaps littering?

• flogen wrote: »
    Of course Cowen is entitled to complain, that doesn't mean he's entitled to be right.

RTÉ reported on an event that took place and was of some news value. It was not vital, earth-shattering or life changing but it had news value. It has now apologised for causing offence by doing its job, in the same way it might apologise to a crime victim for reporting what happened to them.
    My point was it didn't just report.It went out on the street with a vox pop and made fun of him.
    Thats a departure from factual news reporting.It's an advocacy of disrepect which is ok in a satirical programme but it's not the function of news reporting.
    If Enda Kenny got up in the Dáil tomorrow and started lobbing personal insults at Cowen, which RTÉ would absolutely have to cover, would RTÉ be responsible for the hurt caused by them?
    Entirely different because they would be reporting what someone else done.
    They wouldn't be taking part.
    Effectively the piece they did on the 9 o clock news departed from plain reporting and entered the realm of joining the písstake that the paintings were.
    You can brush it off as anti-Government bile but we have seen our national broadcaster censor itself and apologise to Government for reporting facts. From what Ray D'Arcy spoke about today we are also seeing pressure from the top on Gardaí to pursue the artist by any means necessary due to the offence caused.
    I did not hear the darcy programme.Did he publish any facts regarding that?
    Are you suggesting that there is pressure from the top on Gardaí?
    With all due respect to you,I'd suggest you read the thread linked in the site wide forum announcement [for mods only]at the top of this thread by the way if you have no proof of this.
    If that doesn't trouble you even in some small way you have to wonder what will.
    Evidence please :)

Correction. Now that I see that the Gardaí are committing valuable resources to it obviously they are exerting some unnecessary pressure.

RTÉ should tell their Crime Corrospondent to report on the investigation :D

I don't think you are aloud to put paintings up with out the permission of the Galleries. I think that while they are public buildings you aren't allow protest inside them, this could be considered a protest.

My point was it didn't just report.It went out on the street with a vox pop and made fun of him.
    Thats a departure from factual news reporting.It's an advocacy of disrepect which is ok in a satirical programme but it's not the function of news reporting.

And one of the passers by took the piss out of their German PM, Should Mertial(sp?) complain? I am serious about the BCC becoming involved I don't see why the Mr. Cowen should have that quick access to complaints and appoligies when the average joe soap has to go through the proper procedures of making an application to the BCC. Cowen should not have had such access and he also should not ****ing care, there are far more important things going on he should do his job. He has made more of this than RTE's report did.

The report was done in a piss take manner. When I saw I was just about to say how Taigh Enright seems to be the Fluff Coorespondent.

For me the funniest thing about this is now that RTÉ have backed down and the Gardaí have been called in my opinion of the event has changed. Originally I had seen it as a well executed prank that Cowen could laugh off as a welcome distraction from more serious issues. Now I can see a lack of sense of humour, the willingness to meddle with the media and poor political judgement in how it was dealt with.

...and of course a weak pandering broadcaster.

• Elmo wrote: »
    And one of the passers by took the piss out of their German PM, Should Mertial(sp?) complain?

The report was done in a piss take manner. When I saw I was just about to say how Taigh Enright seems to be the Fluff Coorespondent.
    Personally I've no issue with that actually except to say what I said,it can give rise to an actionable complaint.

I wouldnt have complained myself now if I was the butt of it,I'd have laughed it off and I'd be of the view that Cowen should have.
    That said,the apology was to his family aswell so maybe it did genuinely cause grave offence to his wife?

But of course we are talikng here about an unpopular man,leader of an unpopular party doing unpopular things...so why should it be expected that posters here might even consider to think that he may be submitting to his families wishes on this.
    I probably would do that if my wife was upset or my mother or my children.
    It's a basic element of human respect.

Personally I've no issue with that actually except to say what I said,it can give rise to an actionable complaint.

I wouldnt have complained myself now if I was the butt of it,I'd have laughed it off and I'd be of the view that Cowen should have.
    That said,the apology was to his family aswell so maybe it did genuinely cause grave offence to his wife?

But of course we are talikng here about an unpopular man,leader of an unpopular party doing unpopular things...so why should it be expected that posters here might even consider to think that he may be submitting to his families wishes on this.
    I probably would do that if my wife was upset or my mother or my children.
    It's a basic element of human respect.

Then he should go to the BCC. That is what it is there for. I am annoyed that he thinks he can just ring up RTÉ and get an appolige the next night. Now he has Micheal Kennedy TD calling for Goan to resign. I am sorry but regardless of the hurt and offence taken by his family he has blown this way out of proportion.

If it was any politican I would feel the same way, guess what if your head of state warn your family that you will have critics and satirist after you.

• Elmo you are making assumptions there about Kennedy.
    Politicians aren't the best at being subtle in doing things to lick up to their party masters.

Calling on Goan to resign for this is a tad ott to say the least.

As for making a phone call to make the complaint,thats neither here nor there,it's the way governments make complaints.
    It's not the norm for them to go through the usual procedure and in fact as a government it's courtesy for them to make the approach directly.

The fact of the matter is, that if the complaint was made through the ordinary channels it would have required the same result.
    It's a cut and shut case of withdrawing from the remit of news reporting on a newscast and taking the píss out of someone.
    Fairs fair.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0325/1224243368658.html
    The fact of the matter is, that if the complaint was made through the ordinary channels it would have required the same result.

The BCC may have made the same decision but that doesn't mean that RTE should talk to anyone in the Dept of An Taoisecht relating to some non-story that they choose to report on, as I said they sent the Fluff Corrospondent to do the report.

What if RTÉ had not appoligised? Should they then have gone to the BCC?

Advertisement