Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Does that include the SW ? Getting paranoid up here, if theres a risk I want to shut everything down....

Unlikely to get more lightning in Kerry tonight IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Talk of 'very big thunderstorms' moving up from Europe tuesday night and wenesday on bbc news 24 forecast just now

Let’s hope it comes to fruition and that parts of Ireland (especially Dublin) get in on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Total Water Column' I.E, water content of the air, charts from the 'Rapid ECMWF' 06z run for Tues Eve/Weds Morn. Hopefully our east coast friends will finally get to see something.

6gARzfz.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    'Total Water Column' I.E, water content of the air, charts from the 'Rapid ECMWF' 06z run for Tues Eve/Weds Morn. Hopefully our east coast friends will finally get to see something.

Thanks for the well wishes but I can't see any significant potential for us on current model output, the instability all looks too far east. Maybe we'll see a few distant flashes over the Irish Sea if anyone's bothered to look (it would be like watching flashes of the middle finger from Zeus imo). Hope I'm wrong and/or things change to bring the potential further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The prognosis has not really improved overnight for some storms in to the east. Most of the activity is either just off shore or well east in over Britain.

Still time for this to evolve though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The prognosis has not really improved overnight for some storms in to the east. Most of the activity is either just off shore or well east in over Britain.

Still time for this to evolve though.

It'll stay to the east,that's its momentum
    Wont even hear the thunder in the east
    Might see distant cloud tops near wales

Yep. No movement in the models this evening and I'm resigning myself to that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the latest Met Office graphics on YouTube it gives a main bunch of thunderstorms going into the sw of England Tuesday night and Wednesday morning before heading to Scotland but it also gives another smaller bunch coming into the SE of Ireland in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

https://youtu.be/jJyhoXkiegM

On the latest Met Office graphics on YouTube it gives a main bunch of thunderstorms going into the sw of England Tuesday night and Wednesday morning before heading to Scotland but it also gives another smaller bunch coming into the SE of Ireland in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

https://youtu.be/jJyhoXkiegM

I saw that,I'd be less confident of that line being as thundery versus what moves up from France,but we'll see what mother nature does with her Lego

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm in Cornwall at the moment. Should I order in beer and popcorn for tomorrow night?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I saw that,I'd be less confident of that line being as thundery versus what moves up from France,but we'll see what mother nature does with her Lego

It'll be a test of the Met Office v's the rest. :pac:

The BBC news 24 graphics just now,you can see they haven't the UK Mets line that enters over cork but they do have the french stuff fringing the east potentially in that southerly flow
    They're using a blend
    One image attached, you can see where they have the tue night precipitation and its direction of travel
    It ended up bringing the east and built up in to East Ulster and Scotland on that

As weak as the storms were a few weeks ago,the BBC/meteogroup were pretty accurate 24hrs out,lers see how it goes this time ?

Ugh gonna be painful missing this one if it's as close as I suspect it will be.

We just need a tweak for something special.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

There is no doubt that the main show tomorrow night into Weds morning will be over the UK with all that heat and the passage of troughs overnight could lead to quite a spectacular light show there.

At the moment maybe a few thunderstorms running up the SE , E, NE coast but not looking overly promising at this stage but need to keep an eye on it. Will need to see wind direction tomorrow.

As the front moves into Ireland from the SW there could be thunderstorms up along the Atlantic seaboard and perhaps along the S coasts. Loads of Deep Layer and Low Level Shear available tomorrow night.

WxwfCz3.gif

FZasfFp.png

dgsaycY.png

pYi076C.png

2Vqaxf3.png

X9QUHvO.png

Looks a write off for us really unless something changes fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Jeez thats depressing. Look at the light show the UK are in for

Looks a write off for us really unless something changes fast.

Yeah,looking at that,at a stretch,on the coast (and even here 2kms inland) we might see very distant lightning on the horizon but you never know,storms of that intensity can be imported,a veering west 50 or 60kms over sea wouldn't kill them if you get me? BUT wind direction on the night is key as meteorite said and I am very doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

That lightning density chart above would make anybody on this island that loves thunderstorms literally tear their hair out!

NE might clip a few.

Hr1Xm90.png

Xbivqir.png

The Irish Meteorological Service

Tuesday night: Showers will spread from up from the southeast on Tuesday evening and night, bringing the threat of a few thundery downpours in the east and north. Meanwhile, outbreaks of rain will push in off the Atlantic to affect the southwest and west. Lowest temperatures will be around 14 to 17 degrees in mainly light to moderate southerly or southeasterly breezes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

This is the best I could get from Fridays event, my son was on camera duties and got a fright when the strike happened, it was very close as you can hear the thunder over the noise of the rain and my crazy kids!
    I've noticed before with strikes that are close that it causes interference and doesn't really capture the strike.

https://youtu.be/u4-y8FKk-Vw

pad199207 wrote: »
    That lightning density chart above would make anybody on this island that loves thunderstorms literally tear their hair out!

Theres some availability on the late sailing to fishguard;)

This is the best I could get from Fridays event, my son was on camera duties and got a fright when the strike happened, it was very close as you can hear the thunder over the noise of the rain and my crazy kids!
    I've noticed before with strikes that are close that it causes interference and doesn't really capture the strike.

https://youtu.be/u4-y8FKk-Vw

A young Reed Timmer in the making !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Theres some availability on the late sailing to fishguard;)

I’m actually one of those wackos that would actually do it! ;)

Talk on Netweather that all this could be shifting in Ireland’s favour, I’m assuming E Ireland.

I’m actually one of those wackos that would actually do it! ;)

Talk on Netweather that all this could be shifting in Ireland’s favour, I’m assuming E Ireland.

Ha! They needn't fear!

Could someone post up historic sferics maps for the overnight june 25th 26th 2009 please if you get a chance
    Wexford and south Wicklow were burned alive by lightning that night

It was the night michael Jackson being discovered dead was all over the news so it was the 25th LA time but from around midnight the 25th here through the small hours of the 26th
    As night storms go that was a classic with shot gun,peeling and window rattling noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Not really, the UKV model shifted things slightly west, towards Ireland but still nowhere near Ireland. We'd need a massive shift west which is very unlikely. We'll have to rely on scraps and hope for a surprise or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Latest from Convective Weather, keep an eye on updates.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-07-23

pySW2lx.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 23 Jul 2019 - 05:59 UTC Wed 24 Jul 2019

ISSUED 21:06 UTC Mon 22 Jul 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper ridge will cover much of western and central Europe on Tuesday, its axis over Germany / Switzerland placing the British Isles in a south-southwesterly flow on its western flank. This will encourage gradual advection of a high Theta-W airmass northwards, with surface dewpoints up to 20C expected on Tuesday afternoon across England and Wales. An elevated mixed layer (EML) will over-run this very warm, moist low-level airmass, generally preventing any surface-based thunderstorms from developing.

Meanwhile, a shortwave rounding the largescale upper trough over the Atlantic to the west of Ireland will swing northeastwards, the associated falling heights and cooling aloft resulting in increasing instability over northern France and the western English Channel where 1,000 - 1,500 J/kg MLCAPE is possible by late afternoon and into the evening hours, locally up to 2,000 J/kg.

Convective initiation is expected mid/late afternoon over N France as a lead impulse encourages elevated convection to develop, these scattered showers/thunderstorms then drifting northwards into CS / SW England during the evening hours, riding the leading edge of the ThetaE ridge and ultimately marking the leading edge to the instability plume. Scattered elevated showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop and expand in coverage with each hour through Tuesday evening and night as they continue to migrate to the N or NNE - initially over CS / SW England, then affecting Wales / Midlands, northern England and eventually into Scotland later in the night. Other additional elevated showers/thunderstorms could develop on the eastern edge of the instability plume, and may affect parts of East Anglia and perhaps SE England.

The magnitude of CAPE/shear and very steep mid-level lapse rates suggests lightning will be very frequent at times. The environment will be conducive for thunderstorms to become locally severe, perhaps scope for one or two elevated supercells, capable of producing large hail - particularly during their early, more discrete stages before likely growing upscale into a mesoscale convective system (MCS) as they continue to drift farther north/northeast. Consequently, profiles will become increasingly saturated and instability will gradually weaken with time (and hence northward extent), and so a downward trend in lightning frequency is possible towards the end of the night.

A SVR has been issued to highlight the threat of large hail. Rainfall is somewhat less of an issue in general, due to a combination of reasonably fast storm motion and some evaporation of rain due to dry layers beneath the thunderstorm base. However, should multiple showers/storms move over the same area, then localised flooding could also be an issue.

There is still some uncertainty over the exact track / coverage of thunderstorms during Tuesday evening / night, and some relatively minor changes may be necessary to the threat areas - including perhaps the introduction of a HIGH threat level if confidence improves (main focus at the moment is the West Country and south Midlands).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The west might get something similar to this from June 2012 if we're lucky, the UK getting all the fun with MCS's and supercells but some decent long lived pulse storms fired up across the north and west

article-2165944-13D5E7C5000005DC-372_470x483.jpg

Advertisement