Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40+ first time driver quote

• 03-07-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

hi ppl, honest to god i need to lie down, I have only recently started to drive i know heard it all at my age what the heck was i thinking to have not done so before all that.
    But i am just looking for quotes and my 05 1.3 car the quote i have just got floored me €4,236.02. Honest to god, but i can pay 3 hundred and something a month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭ Victoria Petite Talc

Everybody knows that once your car goes over 10 years of age, it could explode at any moment. Just because it has never happened doesn't mean it won't happen.

On a serious note, that's slap in the face quote. I would have expected something closer to €1,000. Have you called all the insurance companies? IS that the best quote you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

2 salient points to remember.
    You only hold a learner's permit.
    You have no previous insurance in your own name.

For most they learn to drive as teenagers and their parents take the hit on the insurance quotes.

Insurance is based on the perceived risk and inexperienced drivers scare are very risky bet in the eyes of an insurance company.

The issue of older cars is quite simple, if someone is going to stage an accident to make a claim they are going to buy something cheap to maximize their return on investment.

While the OP does not fall in the latter their choice of car probably does.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

2 salient points to remember.
    You only hold a learner's permit.
    You have no previous insurance in your own name.

For most they learn to drive as teenagers and their parents take the hit on the insurance quotes.

Insurance is based on the perceived risk and inexperienced drivers scare are very risky bet in the eyes of an insurance company.

The issue of older cars is quite simple, if someone is going to stage an accident to make a claim they are going to buy something cheap to maximize their return on investment.

While the OP does not fall in the latter their choice of car probably does.
    Thank you not harry, I do understand all that and was expecting a hefty bill I thought around 1500 tops. I understand that I am a first time driver, but as a first time driver I'll be either with the driving instructor or a qualified driver until I get my full licence. There should be data to back up those costings, like how many 40 Yr old first time drivers were involved in an accident and claimed on insurance? How many same category were caught speeding? How many caught drink driving? How many penalty points did they accumulate before they passed their test? Then give a quote based on that data. I just want to get my car in the road so I can gain experience in order to pass my test so that I can drive my boys to school. Shouldn't be held to random

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There is also the scenario where many drivers with a chequered driving history reinvent themselves as a novice driver. Insurers are wary of mature drivers supposedly starting out.

There is also the scenario where many drivers with a chequered driving history reinvent themselves as a novice driver. Insurers are wary of mature drivers supposedly starting out.
    yes if course this would also be possibility, but it dosent take a whole lot to check on this, your face is on your licence, your pps number all just seem like excuse to just quote crazy numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

yes if course this would also be possibility, but it dosent take a whole lot to check on this, your face is on your licence, your pps number all just seem like excuse to just quote crazy numbers.

I'm not going to outline it here, but it is relatively easy to reinvent yourself in motoring terms.

I'm not going to outline it here, but it is relatively easy to reinvent yourself in motoring terms.
    Ooh I see so you think there could be a way I could have a full licence and 10 years no claims bonus? Asking for a friend 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Welcome to the world of motoring. Driving over 35 years accident free, and even the small things can trip ye up. With one insurance company I found that if I put my occupation down as civil /public servant my quote was €95 cheaper than if I put myself down as local govt employee. Put myself down as office administrator it was different again.

So many choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

hi ppl, honest to god i need to lie down, I have only recently started to drive i know heard it all at my age what the heck was i thinking to have not done so before all that.
    But i am just looking for quotes and my 05 1.3 car the quote i have just got floored me €4,236.02. Honest to god, but i can pay 3 hundred and something a month.

Main driver holding learner’s Permit is always going to attract the highest possible premium. You might be better off trying to do a lot of lessons and pass your test as quickly as possible. I was 36 before I started to drive and only used the instructors car until I passed the test. As I explained to the dealer when test driving a car the afternoon after the test, “I’ve never driven a car without dual controls before”.

Not everyone can work this way but realistically main driver on a learner permit is going to attract a huge premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

How many companies and brokers have you tried? I could never deal with chill.ie or some of the bigger brokers but going directly with Aviva or a local broker worked when i was starting out.

Try gmhd.ie in Kerry and maybe the ones targeting young drivers as they are geared for inexperience. I'm sure they wouldn't have an age limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is that a fully comp quote or 3rd party? I was getting quotes and have found that 3rd party quotes are now substantially higher than fully comp.

Also never value a car below €5k, they'll only give you book value but they increase the loading if you think your car is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Troll post and quotes removed

Advertisement