Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody did SF Bess last year?

• 01-06-2007 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hello All,

Thought I'd do a bit of swotting over the summer as I learned last year that what with working part time , I can't fit it all in.

To that end I got the ''Economy of Ireland'' book, ''Financial Accounting'' book,
    and the ''Organizational Behaviour'' book.

Anybody know what chapters were covered in the year just gone?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

dont do econ of ireland so cant help there but as regards org bahaviour basically the whole book was covered. but specific attention was paid to chapers on motivation, job design, leadership. fellenz does his course paying no attention to the book or the way the chapters fall because as youll see after reading it it is all linked together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

there but as regards org bahaviour basically the whole book was covered.

Organisation Behvaiour: No it wasn't, chapters 1 to 10 were covered and then the section on 'job motivation' in chapter 11. Basicallt the first two out of three sections of the book.

Accounting: All Chapters were covered looking at Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow and Ratios being the most important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Indicative Course Plan and Associated Readings (Part I)

MT Week 1: Overview of the course and course mechanics; Introduction to management and organisational behaviour
    Fromm, E. 1976. Having and Being in Daily Experience, pp. 37 - 44, in To Have or To Be?, New York: Harper & Row.
    Vecchio, Ch 1 & 2

MT Week 2: Individuals in organisations; Learning theory (Please note: No lecture on Monday, October 16, 2006)
    Vecchio, Ch 3

MT Week 3: Motivation and performance
    Vecchio, Ch 4

MT Week 4: Motivation II; Groups;
    Vecchio, Ch 5; Section on Job Satisfaction in Chapter 11
    Vecchio, Ch 9

MT Week 5: Reading Week (no office hours)

MT Week 6: Decision making; Leadership
    Vecchio, Ch 8

MT Week 7: Power, Influence & politics
    Vecchio, Ch 7
    Vecchio, Ch 6

MT Week 8: Conflict management; Organisational justice
    Vecchio, Ch 10

MT Week 9: Integration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

For Economy of Ireland, the lecturer is the book's author. He basically covers the whole book with two chapters being optional. If you want to really get into the subject, it's a good idea to just sit down over a weekend and read it cover to cover. I hated the subject until Christmas of my SF year and then read it over a number of car journeys and breaks from work and it ended up being my favourite subject and my best result. Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Danger Bob wrote:
    For Economy of Ireland, the lecturer is the book's author. He basically covers the whole book with two chapters being optional. If you want to really get into the subject, it's a good idea to just sit down over a weekend and read it cover to cover. I hated the subject until Christmas of my SF year and then read it over a number of car journeys and breaks from work and it ended up being my favourite subject and my best result. Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.

Nope you're right. I think all of this years BESS schols did economics, and they all did very well in economy of ireland. it'll make you cry at times its soo boring, but it's not difficult, you just need to find some part which interests you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Can't add much to what's been said, really - you might want to look at Fellenz's notes on the business intranet (www.sfbusiness.webexone.com), but you'll need a registration code to access that and I can't remember it. Anyone else out there remember it?
    DangerBob wrote:
    Also, if you do Schols and you're good at it, I've heard there's a very realistic possibility of getting a first in it. Schols students may correct me there if I'm wrong.

Even if you're mediocre, O'Hagan is very kind when marking Schols papers, so a 2.1 is likely (which is very handy when aiming for exemptions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

That's great, much obliged everyone!!!

Advertisement