Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help looking up a small few baptisms on roots?

• 07-04-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have been looking for a record for my my 3x great grandfather Thomas Burke and his wife Bridget (Mannion?)but I couldnt find anything for a long, long time, I think I have found their Marriage record in Killascobe, Co. Galway on july the 29th 1841.As i didnt know his wifes name until recently until i done dna testing thanks to some americans but i also dont know her surname for sure.
    But I cant confirm this as the Baptisms are only on roots ireland, could someone look up and see if any of their sons and daughters show up. So far I know theres a Edward Burke b Abt1855, Thomas Burke bAbt 1849 and Margaret Burke abt the same time.there are probably a lot more but if someone could check if the names and dates match up That would be Great! Thank you!!:)

They lived in the area so thats what Im guessing.I was told they lived in Ballinamore bridge but I guess that was much earlier so i think im on the right path now.

heres their marriage record (I think) https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FPRS%2FMICROFILM04220-01%2F0066&parentid=IRE%2FPRS%2FMAR%2F1270572%2F1 Her name was definetly bridget thats all im sure

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could she be Monahan?

**edit
    Looking at that marriage record, it's fairly clear it is Mannion/Marmion.

For information, for Thomas Burke/Bridget Mona(g)han, rootsireland has
    Mary 1841 address given as Carnaseer Dunmore parish
    Margaret 1845 address given as Carnaseer Dunmore parish
    Thomas 1850 no address given
    Bridget 1852
    Patrick 1854
    John 1856
    James 1858
    William 1860
    Bridget 1862
    Catherine 1865

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

spurious wrote: »
    Could she be Monahan?

do you have children for her with the names edward and thomas? Could be im not sure. I was told the burkes were from Ballinamore bridge, Galway for the longest time so them nearest parishes would be either Killian/glinsk or Killosolan but i didnt find anything there.(you might have better luck though as findmypast is dodgy) Bridget died in menlough b1823-d1893 thats why im thinking she was from Killascobe. The house was in menlough too where the burkes stayed.

G1QMV9f
    Could she be Monahan?

**edit
    Looking at that marriage record, it's fairly clear it is Mannion/Marmion.

For information, for Thomas Burke/Bridget Mona(g)han, rootsireland has
    Mary 1841
    Margaret 1845
    Thomas 1850
    Bridget 1852
    Patrick 1854
    John 1856
    James 1858
    William 1860
    Bridget 1862
    Catherine 1865

Mannion is native to the area so id guess its that but that might not be the marriage record after all, one of my america relatives has a record for thomas the sons marriage but it doesnt mention bridget surname in new jersey https://imgur.com/a/G1QMV9f

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That last Burke/Monahan birth's civil record gives an address of Woodmount Creagh if that is of any assistance.

Did the names of NJ Thomas' children give any clues?

That last Burke/Monahan birth's civil record gives an address of Woodmount Creagh if that is of any assistance.

Did the names of NJ Thomas' children give any clues?

Thanks for your help anyways:) i think i might need to start looking outiside galway as the dna test had lots of roscommon and south mayo genetic communities that we couldnt figure out,given ballinamore bridge had many roscommon migrants thats my guess for now. I have been trying the genetic genealogy route but no luck so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement