Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

This is off-topic but I didn’t think it was worthy of a thread: Priests were responsible for reporting marriages to the registrar, right? I found a marriage that I think has butchered surnames and the only thing giving me pause is that the civil record has the same errors. But the priest would be the source of both records, correct?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, he would.

But it is off topic.

This thread is already enormous and daunting so please just keep it for handwriting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Anyone care to decipher William Molloy's exact DoB on the last line of this sheet

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02701/1994687.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

1884 March four (at) Kilcoony

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

ath262 wrote: »
    1884 March four (at) Kilcloony

Excellent thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

think the location is actually Kilcoony, without the 2nd l

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can anyone read what follows the sponsors' names in this baptism record? It is the sixth baptism down on the left page. 18 March 1849. Kinnegad parish, Diocese of Meath. Patrick, son of Thomas Grehan and Catherine Cunningham. Sponsors Michael Fox and Mary Grehan--and then ???

The name was actually Graham and they lived in Clonard, Co Meath, tho the head church of the parish was in Kinnegad, Co Westmeath. There is a possibility that the father was COI, in case that helps. Here's the link--

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635234#page/94/mode/1up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say it's the priest's initials. There seem to be another few instances of it, including the entry directly above.

It appears multiple times on the page - I think it's the priest's name?

Genealogy Forum Mod

:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thank you both. I did see it elsewhere on the page but it's an odd way for a priest to write his name. But it's the only logical explanation. So he is 'illegible McA
    '. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Can anybody have a go at working out the Christian name of eldest child in the Dean family (Female age 20). Nobody has been able to ascertain where she went after 1851 but having her correct name might help

Dean Family 1851 Canadian Census.png

Here is more of the page from the Census which may help

Canadian Census 1851.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can you post a better copy of the image?
    The writing in that one is too small.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I hope this is better, it's not an easy one, guesses may help.
    Thanks

Dean Family 1851 Canadian Census (2).png

Me too.

I've since found it on Ancestry and I see your problem.

When I enlarge it to the size I wanted it becomes quite blurry.

Even trying to guess what it might be is really hard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There are a number of sites where you can search Irish names beginning with a particular letter. Here's a guess--Daireann. Not great but a start.

Thanks Hermy & VirginiaB, it's not at all easy. I'd guess that the person filling out the form did not know the name and was unclear what to write down.
    Descendants of the Deans (or Deanes) in North America have put the name in as Damionaer in their trees but I haven't been able to find that name anywhere by searching etc.

I wonder about the first letter, it looks like a D ok but is unlike the other D's which are quite consistent (as in Dean in the 1st attachment). On the other hand there is no letter elsewhere that looks like this one.

The maiden name of the mother of the family Mary was Knightly and I have a lot of DNA matches to her descendants over there and have been trying for a few years to tie her in with my ancestors in Kerry so every little bit of information like that girls name might add to the knowledge.

Comparing it with other names on the same page the first letter looks to me like an A or an N though I can't make that work.

What is the name after Thomas? It looks like Patrick but I'm not certain.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Hermy wrote: »
    What is the name after Thomas? It looks like Patrick but I'm not certain.

That name is Catherine I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

By narrowing the letters of the mystery name, I think I can get 'Hannorah' out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That's a good call above - I also could see the Ann at the beginning and was wondering was it Annemarie Deane - The other names are very typical of the time and the scribe seems to run a lot of n's, s's and m's into an unlegible line - so perhaps it may be a matter of checking names of the time off against it and seeing if they fit. It's a difficult one

Thanks everyone, I'll have a search for Hannorah etc.

Their other son Eugene Owen got married the year before 1850 so was not in the household at the date of that census. I haven't looked for him in 1851 yet but here is his family in the 1861 census.

Eugene Owen Dean 1861 Canadian Census.png

I think the dates in the 1851 census are a bit out eg I think Thomas was born in 1830.

Yes Catherine 5th down.
    Full list is
    John Dean age 50, Mary Dean (nee Knightly) age 40
    then the illegible girl age 20, Thomas age 18, Catherine age 14, James age 12,
    Michael age 10, Mary age 8 and Jane age 6.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

By narrowing the letters of the mystery name, I think I can get 'Hannorah' out of it.
    Yes - that's what I thought.

In this image from the Tithe Applotment books I'm trying to decipher the first two entries for Castlewilder, the third section down on the right hand page.

I've a good idea about the first one but the second is a puzzle!

Thanks.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Something Wilder Esq a minor

Reps of ?? J? sdale Esq.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Hermy wrote: »
    In this image from the Tithe Applotment books I'm trying to decipher the first two entries for Castlewilder, the third section down on the right hand page.

Wilder Mat Castlewilder Kilglass Longford 1834 (My opinion "Mat Wilder Esquire-a Minor")
    Isdale Fras Castlewilder Kilglass Longford 1834 (My opinion "Rep. of Fras Isdale Esquire")

Search for Castlewilder http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie

"Mat Wilder Esquire-a Minor" is what I had myself.

Isdale isn't a surname I have come across before but it certainly seems to be what's written there.
    And I agree it's probably Representative of" or something similar.
    However, I'm still unsure about the forename but I might find something locally that will confirm this.

Thanks again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

Hi, can anyone help with understanding what the abbreviation of GC/GL/CL(?) on this baptism page means? Specifically looking at the baptism of Ellen Dooley. Thanks

Advertisement