Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Confirms my g-grandparents were quite late in registering a December 1918 birth that was previously unviewable anyway!

First 2 I looked at there are no images, found others though.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I would like to understand how the Civil Registration Districts worked for these new marriage records just put up 1845-1863. Is it the very same areas as the Catholic records after 1864?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

hblock21 wrote: »
    I would like to understand how the Civil Registration Districts worked for these new marriage records just put up 1845-1863. Is it the very same areas as the Catholic records after 1864?

The districts were the poor law ones established in 1834; they should be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone else noticed there appear to be two of every marriage record pre 1864?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

BowWow wrote: »
    First 2 I looked at there are no images, found others though.
    Yeah, I found no images in Claremorris district. However, there were transcripts for some, which is useful. Wonder will they disappear when images go up.

Another observation...

There are no pre-64 marriages showing for Ballymahon district.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I found 2 of everything I looked up on the marriages.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

L1011 wrote: »
    The districts were the poor law ones established in 1834; they should be the same.

By coincidence this came up in my Facebook feed: Appendix to Report of the Royal Commission on Local Taxation, c. 1900:
    "By 1842 Ireland had been divided into 130 Unions. These areas were formed on very much the same plan as in England. The chief market town in each part of the country was taken as a centre and the adjoining rural district, within a radius of about 10 miles, was attached to it. The 130 Unions thus formed were subdivided into 2,049 Electoral Divisions. In 1850 the number of Unions was increased to 163, and the Electoral Divisions to 3,438. The number of Unions in Ireland at present is 159."

If Poor Law Unions changed, it is logical that Superintendent Registrars' Districts might have changed also. This might explain some of the oddities encountered.

• Advertisement

These were additional but obviously would have been carved out of pre-existing ones. There are some changes to names on independence (Parsonstown to Birr comes to mind) but they are almost identical now.

Here's a complete list:
    https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Ireland-civil-registration.html

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

It is great that we have some new records to check through.

I have just looked at the Civil & Church records of an 1868 marriage. The reason I checked was that Margaret was recorded as 17 yrs old & James 22yrs old. I would have thought that something should have been noted on church marriage record about her age? What was the law back then?

In actual fact, the witnesses are different of both records. The witnesses were Mack (maybe MacNamara) & O'Brien on the church record & the civil record is showing Gleeson & Cunningham. All four witnesses were related to the married couple.

Noticed something new on Irishgenealogy just now.

A marriage where it says the image is not available but they then provide a full transcript.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've come across a few of those recently myself.

Sam Beckett is one that caught my eye.

But I was able to find the image in the system the usual circuitous way.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hoping that the next leap, will be the leap home...

Genealogy Forum Mod

You must go on. I can't go on. I'll go on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

There was a piece on the RTÉ six o'clock news this evening about electronic birth registration.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0417/1132190-baby-registration/

What was very interesting though, was they showed the Registrar General TJ Fleming with some of the original historic birth records. They were large separate pages kept in an archival box.

I always assumed that they would have preserved the original volume but I'm glad to learn the pages are kept loose and separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Yes I saw that they looked really big.

Future genealogists will miss out on the fun we have trying to decipher the old records.

The real shame is that we don't get to view the original registers from the local offices but instead the handwritten copies which were sent to head office in Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Wonder if we asked nicely would the GRO give us the first quarter listings from 1920(Births), 1945(Marriages) and 1970(Deaths)?

Lots of online stuff being made available to make the lockdown more bearable...

• Advertisement

Not a chance. Far too complicated* to just hive off one quarter of the year and upload.

*not complicated, just unlikely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Lets hope they finish off the deaths back to 1864 before too long.
    At least then they've caught up with the arrears and issuing the subsequent records each new year becomes less complicated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

I fervently second that--the oldest records' priority. There is so little available for that time period.

I've no inside scoop but I'd hope they'll release those deaths this year.

However, GRO staff have been reallocated and when they get back to work, there'll be a backlog of marriages to process and there's the already reported 4000 babies unregistered so I doubt they will be prioritising deaths from the 1860s/70s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Those babies will just have to wait. :p

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's not like they can make demands....

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can't they do the current registrations remotely?

Yes, they've only started this though and it's just for births.

I am presuming no marriages are taking place at the moment at all, which will massively skew the stats for the first quarter of the year and maybe the second.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

I have my references ready for entries I can find online but a query about the specific and general searches. Is there much point in going for a specific search if I can't find it on a number of sites I'm signed up to? I know it's only 2 euro for the specific search but more asking about whether it's worthwhile since would it not have been recorded on these sites.

And how does the specific search work, as in how long would it typically take if you have all the necessary details?

Yes, I've never been to the GRO before.

• Advertisement

I think it's worth asking for a manual check.

The online indexes and what's on irishgenealogy.ie are great but there's still scope for an omission.

I haven't asked for a search in a long time but it was a few days - I'm not sure whether they're running as normal yet. I haven't done any online orders, but I understand the research room is open? I'm too far from there to go in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement