Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rocommon Family

• 15-01-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what happened to the 2 youngest daughters in the family below.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Artagh_North/Curraghsallagh/765383/

I found the eldest daughter in the UK in the 1939 register but no trace of the 2 younger girls. I believe one of them to be a grandmother of my cousin (on the other side of her family). My cousin doesn't know who her father is but through ancestry dna and irishgenealogy.ie we have narrowed it down to this family. Sadly, we've now hit a wall and can't seem to get any further.

Theres no sign of marriage or death certs and the youngest daughter was rumoured to have gone missing. All advice on where to look welcome.

P.S. Just a disclaimer here! We could be wrong about the connection.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did Bridget travel from the US to Ireland in 1937?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

spurious wrote: »
    Did Bridget travel from the US to Ireland in 1937?

I don't know! I believe that they were all UK based at some point but anything is possible.
    There were a few Bridget's with the same name from the area and it really doesn't help my investigations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Bridget T Towey naturalised in Pennsylvania in 1928 that gives Ballaghdereen as where she is from, but the birth date is wrong and I think in the 20th century people would have known their birth dates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you traced the eldest daughter forward past 1939?
    Find her descendants could help trace the others.

Have you got the parents' deaths? One of the daughters may have registered, which would give an address.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have you traced the eldest daughter forward past 1939?
    Find her descendants could help trace the others.

Have you got the parents' deaths? One of the daughters may have registered, which would give an address.

We did find some descendants of the eldest daughter but they had no idea of what happened to the other girls. There was a rumour that the youngest worked for a shipping company and just disappeared. We think Bridget is probably the connection.

We found the mothers death, a neighbour registered the death. We couldn't find their fathers death. I guess that the girls weren't living in Roscommon when their mother passed away.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    There is a Bridget T Towey naturalised in Pennsylvania in 1928 that gives Ballaghdereen as where she is from, but the birth date is wrong and I think in the 20th century people would have known their birth dates.

I did see that Bridget too. I think she renamed herself as Beatrice. I don't think that she is the correct Bridget. Infact, I think that I found her parents names too and they didn't match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

We did find some descendants of the eldest daughter but they had no idea of what happened to the other girls. There was a rumour that the youngest worked for a shipping company and just disappeared. We think Bridget is probably the connection.

We found the mothers death, a neighbour registered the death. We couldn't find their fathers death. I guess that the girls weren't living in Roscommon when their mother passed away.

I don't suppose you may know of the general time frame Katia worked for the shipping company?

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I don't suppose you may know of the general time frame Katia worked for the shipping company?

I think she worked for the shipping company from the late 1930s. The White Star company has been mentioned.

I think Katia was probably just Katie. The name Katia seems pretty exotic for Roscommon at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you look at the actual handwriting, it is Katie.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think she worked for the shipping company from the late 1930s. The White Star company has been mentioned.

I think Katia was probably just Katie. The name Katia seems pretty exotic for Roscommon at the time.

I thought maybe you might find reference to her in the Signal (as they included more than just the ships crews), but wrong company and much too early a time frame.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you look at the actual handwriting, it is Katie.

It was late. I figured as much - just wrote it as the transcriber had. Ta :)

Advertisement