Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

(Blackrock Galway) Seas Swimming in the dark - Lights recommendations

• 12-10-2020 9:50am

Hi All,

I've decide to try to keep up my sea swimming all year round this year, and get in a few times a week. My only concern, is that to swim mid-week, it will need to be either 6am or after 7pm. I'm not going to be doing any distance swimming. Rather, just getting in for a dip.

I'm absolutely confident in the water, but thought it might be best to get a light or two, just to be extra safe. Does anyone have any recommendations/links?

Also, for anyone swimming in Galway, any advice for swimming in the evening, mid week? What are the changing areas like? I know there are no lights down there. Is there a crowd of swimmers? Or do they only go in the am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

bazwraf wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've decide to try to keep up my sea swimming all year round this year, and get in a few times a week. My only concern, is that to swim mid-week, it will need to be either 6am or after 7pm. I'm not going to be doing any distance swimming. Rather, just getting in for a dip.

I'm absolutely confident in the water, but thought it might be best to get a light or two, just to be extra safe. Does anyone have any recommendations/links?

Also, for anyone swimming in Galway, any advice for swimming in the evening, mid week? What are the changing areas like? I know there are no lights down there. Is there a crowd of swimmers? Or do they only go in the am?
    Swimming in the dark, not a good idea, lights or not. Swim at the weekend when its bright,.much safer idea. You're putting yourself at risk and any emergency services that might need to be called out in the event of an accident at at risk

audiRon wrote: »
    Swimming in the dark, not a good idea, lights or not. Swim at the weekend when its bright,.much safer idea. You're putting yourself at risk and any emergency services that might need to be called out in the event of an accident at at risk

Thanks for your feedback. Believe me, I know a huge amount about water safety. I also know the water in Salthill. I've been swimming there for over 20 years. AS I mentioned, I'm not doing any distance swimming. I want to jump in for a dip, stay in for a few minutes, and get out again

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What's the purpose of the light? Is it to see where you are going or to alert others as to where you are?

What's the purpose of the light? Is it to see where you are going or to alert others as to where you are?

Im not sure really 😂 probably, so I could be seen
    Was just thinking it would be better to have one than not.
    Suppose it could end up causing bypasses to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

bazwraf wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. Believe me, I know a huge amount about water safety. I also know the water in Salthill. I've been swimming there for over 20 years. AS I mentioned, I'm not doing any distance swimming. I want to jump in for a dip, stay in for a few minutes, and get out again
    Again if you're only in and out for a dip, why risk it at night. Wait til the weekend. If you know that much about water safety you know where I'm coming from

• Advertisement

audiRon wrote: »
    Again if you're only in and out for a dip, why risk it at night. Wait til the weekend. If you know that much about water safety you know where I'm coming from

Because I want to go in more than twice a week.
    I'm not being rude, but do you know what the water is like in Galway Bay? Its ridiculously safe.

What I probably need to find is a group of other swimmers who would be keen on evening swims during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Bazwraf There are a lot of swimmers going in early before work. If you want a light to attach to your goggles try these
    https://evaq8.co.uk/Flashing-Strobes/emergency-beacon-personal-flashing-rescue-strobe-green.html
    I have one and use it when I swim at night as do a lot of other night swimmers.
    Get green or blue easier to spot. A water proof head light might work as well as it will light your way down the tower to the steps. Also a number of people swim as late as 20:00 during the winter. Get a key for the changing room and you can use the light with door open to guide you back to tower

martin6651 wrote: »
    Bazwraf There are a lot of swimmers going in early before work. If you want a light to attach to your goggles try these
    https://evaq8.co.uk/Flashing-Strobes/emergency-beacon-personal-flashing-rescue-strobe-green.html
    I have one and use it when I swim at night as do a lot of other night swimmers.
    Get green or blue easier to spot. A water proof head light might work as well as it will light your way down the tower to the steps. Also a number of people swim as late as 20:00 during the winter. Get a key for the changing room and you can use the light with door open to guide you back to tower

Thanks Martin.
    For the link for the light, and details on the groups of swimmers.
    Must pop down some evening so, and get chatting to some of the night swimmers. Would be better to do it with others.

Baz still interested in doing a night swim ??

martin6651 wrote: »
    Baz still interested in doing a night swim ??

Hey Martin, I can't with lockdown unfortunately. Also found out that the Atlantic Masters groups swim close by to me in Renville, so going to join them initially, and see how I get on. Thanks though

• Advertisement

Forgot about Atlantic Masters good group they swim Sat/Sun mornings at Blackrock.

Advertisement