Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galwqy Salthill

• 12-08-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Heading down to Galway city tomorrow for a couple of days work. I have never swam there but have seen pictures of the diving tower. Where would anyone recommend for 1 .5k to 2k swim in the area. I think it will be low tide so not sure if this makes a difference. I will have my safety float with me for visibility and valuables.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Swim from the tower to the 2nd life guard hut is a 2K return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

martin6651 wrote: »
    Swim from the tower to the 2nd life guard hut is a 2K return.

Thanks Martin. Stupid question. But do I go left or right from the tower?

As you are standing at the tower the shore is on your left so swim parallel to shore. If this is late I hope you enjoyed your swim. Always enough water even at low tide

As you are standing at the tower the shore is on your left so swim parallel to shore. If this is late I hope you enjoyed your swim. Always enough water even at low tide

thanks Martin. it was obvious which way to go when I got there. I swam as suggested to the 2nd lifeguard hut and back. About 40 minutes. It was lovely except I am not used to swimming through kelp! It was a bit eerie. I presume at high tide the kelp dosent reach to the surface.

Glad you enjoyed your swim. Yes the stringy kelp is a pain at low tide. Sorry I have said that you should have taken a line from the tower to the outside buoy at the 500 metre mark and you will avoid most of the kelp. Enjoy any further swims you do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just back from a week in Galway myself and we swam every day in Salthill. Fantastic water quality and temperature, perfect for skins swimming. On a couple of evenings there were dozens of swimmers in the water. You’re lucky in Galway to have such a great set up, if only I lived closer to the sea.

Griffin Glad you enjoyed our water. I swim skins 365 temp. is 19 deg at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Griffin Glad you enjoyed our water. I swim skins 365 temp. is 19 deg at present.

it was so warm this evening ... beautiful!

Too warm Holly but we can take it any time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'll be there next week. Delighted to hear the water is so good

• Advertisement

Just another quick Galway swimming question.

We are having a large family reunion in Galway in November 2021 (hopefully)
    As part of it I have been asked to bring a few people sea swimming on the Saturday and Sunday. It will be around high tide (lunchtime on our dates)
    I have swam myself at Blackrock at the diving towers down towards the lifeguard hut as per the advice on this thread.
    My memory of Blackrock is that access is a little bit tricky so my question is....
    Is there anywhere in that area where it would be easy to wade in gradually and where it would be safe. I am guessing my cohort will be middle aged and not familiar with sea swimming so anywhere with rails and gradually shelving shoreline would be ideal.
    Is there other easier access at Blackrock. I vaguely remember going down a ladder or steps but it was low tide and I thought it was slippy..

thanks all..

If its at high tide then you a better going from the tower steps. You can check the tides for Nov. on https://www.sailing.ie/Tides/Galway so you can pick the best day that suits you.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Just another quick Galway swimming question.

We are having a large family reunion in Galway in November 2021 (hopefully)
    As part of it I have been asked to bring a few people sea swimming on the Saturday and Sunday. It will be around high tide (lunchtime on our dates)
    I have swam myself at Blackrock at the diving towers down towards the lifeguard hut as per the advice on this thread.
    My memory of Blackrock is that access is a little bit tricky so my question is....
    Is there anywhere in that area where it would be easy to wade in gradually and where it would be safe. I am guessing my cohort will be middle aged and not familiar with sea swimming so anywhere with rails and gradually shelving shoreline would be ideal.
    Is there other easier access at Blackrock. I vaguely remember going down a ladder or steps but it was low tide and I thought it was slippy..

thanks all..

There are a couple of beach areas along the prom in Salthill where people can wade in.
    The first lifeguard hut, is near ladies beach. That might be the best place.
    Novemeber is very dependent on the wind conditions. On a calm day, the diving tower would be the best place to get in, as long as it's not low tide. People can jump straight in at high tide, or use the steps.

If it is windy, it can be rough there for people unfamiliar with the water. In those instances, you are better getting in at Ladies beach, where people can walk in on the sand and stay comfortable

If you enter "Ladies Beach" into google maps when you're viewing Salthill, it should appear for you. It's basically directly across from the Salthill Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Has the sewage overflow from Mutton Island ever been sorted here? I got a nasty infection years ago when there was cryptosporidium contamination announced

Bridest I swim 365 at Blackrock and have never had any problems or infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Bridest I swim 365 at Blackrock and have never had any problems or infections.

Were you swimming there in 2014?

yes

Advertisement