Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philomena Lynott RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

They just they don't "think" that happens. What's wrong with that?

Well having nothing to do with her children/grandchildren isn't great form.

Read her book.

Seemed strange that she put the other 2 kids she had up for adoption and kept Phil.

He was probably the oldest. I seem to remember that his dad used to pay maintenance.

A marvelous, beautiful lady. My late mother, who had scarce hair as she aged, wanted to know what she did to keep that supreme head of hair. She became more beautiful as she aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

padd b1975 wrote: »
    She had a strong dislike of Gary Moore too for some reason which I found unnecessary.

Maybe it was because he was a far superior musician to Phil.
    Jealousy can be a cruel bedfellow.

May she rest in peace.

if you attended the concert in the point on the weekend they unveiled the statue of Phil you might see why , the concert in my opinion was about Gary Moore as he seemed to play far more than the other band members, and a life long friend of Phil's was told to come if he wanted to but not to bring anyone with him he just about got to sing one song. iI don't think she had anything to be jealous of.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seemed strange that she put the other 2 kids she had up for adoption and kept Phil.

She was living in England at the time, Phil was sent back to Dublin to his grandparents to be raised. She had 2 more kids then, they were put up for adoption. She didn't raise any of them, she never really had a mothers role with Phil.

I'm assuming one child was all the grandparents could handle and the other two had to be put up for adoption.

Phil himself had a child with who was put up for adoption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

PARlance wrote: »
    She was living in England at the time, Phil was sent back to Dublin to his grandparents to be raised. She had 2 more kids then, they were put up for adoption. She didn't raise any of them, she never really had a mothers role with Phil.

I'm assuming one child was all the grandparents could handle and the other two had to be put up for adoption.

don't think this is the time or place for that kind of talk, have a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Read an article a while back which seems to indicate she had Phil in the U.K and kept him. She then had a daughter by the same father as Phil’s but she was given up for adoption as the parents then split. The father of both children alleges he wanted to marry her but she didn’t want to. She had a further son 2 years later. I’m unclear as that what point Phil was sent to Dublin to life with her parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They just said they don't "think" that happens. What's wrong with that?

Well having nothing to do with her children/grandchildren isn't great form.

Her other two children were put up for adoption, I thought. If that’s the case, why would she see them? I don’t know whether she saw her grandchildren from Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Like how a certain German supermarket chain will always be Liddle no matter how often they advertise it as "Leedle" :D

And some creeps pronounce it Lie-dill. They should beaten with a thorny stick.

Her other two children were put up for adoption, I thought. If that’s the case, why would she see them? I don’t know whether she saw her grandchildren from Phil.

She did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've had a listen to some of his solo stuff and think that if he hadn't died so young, he could've gone on to do some interesting things. Yellow Pearl isn't the greatest thing he ever did but it's quite a departure from Whiskey in the Jar. Thin Lizzy I can take or leave.

Yellow Pearl and Old Town were very good and an interesting departure from the Lizzy stuff but it does look like his career had stalled by the time he passed away (apparently the drug addiction was causing havoc for him and interfering with his music projects).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

its a bit disappointing how the accusatory tone of this thread, especially in the circumstances seems to be on the verge of drowning out any notion of compassion, understanding, respect or kindness. When nobody here knew the woman or the inner machinations of her existence especially and the mindset and experiences that led her to make her choices all those years ago.

To have walked a mile in her shoes, and all that..

Strumms wrote: »
    its a bit disappointing how the accusatory tone of this thread, especially in the circumstances seems to be on the verge of drowning out any notion of compassion, understanding, respect or kindness. When nobody here knew the woman or the inner machinations of her existence especially and the mindset and experiences that led her to make her choices all those years ago.

To have walked a mile in her shoes, and all that..

Here here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

RIP very brave women and always kept her sons memory alive. Shes often attended many Thin Lizzy shows and other rock shows. The book was excellent

Her and Phil's life would make a awesome movie one day

PTH2009 wrote: »
    RIP very brave women and always kept her sons memory alive. Shes often attended many Thin Lizzy shows and other rock shows. The book was excellent

Her and Phil's life would make a awesome movie one day

There was plans for a film a few years ago, but it never materialised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Do people just want reams and reams of RIP posts? Why is it so wrong to refer to the life of the person in question based on information that's in the public domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Nice lady, went to a tribute act once in that Radio City place near Busarus and she went up to speak. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

She was a lovely woman.

Remember an interview she gave a few years ago about when she gave birth to Phil. Another mother in the ward referred to her as the mother of the n-word. She fought with this with racist ***** and the nun came in with a stick to break them up. She said wrestled the stick off the nun and beat both of them with it :D

R.I.P Philomena.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was she a celebrity aswell?Was she well known for music or what

Do people just want reams and reams of RIP posts? Why is it so wrong to refer to the life of the person in question based on information that's in the public domain?

Some of the stuff said on this thread appears to have no basis. Why the determination to defend that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

bigpink wrote: »
    Was she a celebrity aswell?Was she well known for music or what

Famous for being Phil’s mam. Seemed a nice lady from the very little I know about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

She was a brave woman to keep her baby in those days, especially a coloured one. May she Rest In Peace.

She unscuccessfully tried to abort him actually, according to her own biography.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

He was probably the oldest. I seem to remember that his dad used to pay maintenance.

Yep, she had another daughter, I believe (like I said, had a boy and girl, one of whom shared the same dad), with Phil's Dad-that one was put up for adoption.
    Very odd she didn't send that one home.

And then she had another child, who I believe is white, with someone else. Also put up for adoption, but when they made contact with her, she didn't want anything to do with em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Some of the stuff said on this thread appears to have no basis. Why the determination to defend that?
    I'm talking about what actually happened though, like the post I quote above. Someone comes along and says "not the time or place". Why? And that's the post they pounce on - there are plenty of others they could have chosen from.

I'm talking about what actually happened though, like the post I quote above. Someone comes along and says "not the time or place". Why? And that's the post they pounce on - there are plenty of others they could have chosen from.

It’s pretty standard on boards for people to be admonished for criticising someone in an RIP thread. Is it that hard to understand why? It’s a ‘rest in peace’ thread. They happen when a person has just died. It’s just plain inappropriate. Especially when it’s nonsensical or unsubstantiated stuff, like in this thread: “She didn’t talk to her other two kids!”. Ah, yeah, that’s kind of how adoption works. Putting children up for adoption is generally seen as a responsible thing to do so to use it as a criticism is frankly bizarre.

It’s pretty standard on boards for people to be admonished for criticising someone in an RIP thread. Is it that hard to understand why? It’s a ‘rest in peace’ thread. They happen when a person has just died. It’s just plain inappropriate. Especially when it’s nonsensical or unsubstantiated stuff, like in this thread: “She didn’t talk to her other two kids!”. Ah, yeah, that’s kind of how adoption works. Putting children up for adoption is generally seen as a responsible thing to do so to use it as a criticism is frankly bizarre.

Saying positive things about someone when they die has the same impact as saying negative things about someone when they die-nothing.

There are people in my extended family we had nothing nice to say about when they died.
    She put herself in the public eye, pretended to be one thing while really being something else entirely. Worse was said about people when they died, on this forum and others. And nobody batted an eyelid.

Like I said, when I'm dead an buried-say what you want about me. Won't matter. I'll be wormfood, the brain no longer functioning and no afterlife or reincarnation because none of that exists.
    Rich or poor, we all go in the ground.

Saying positive things about someone when they die has the same impact as saying negative things about someone when they die-nothing.

There are people in my extended family we had nothing nice to say about when they died.
    She put herself in the public eye, pretended to be one thing while really being something else entirely. Worse was said about people when they died, on this forum and others. And nobody batted an eyelid.

Like I said, when I'm dead an buried-say what you want about me. Won't matter. I'll be wormfood, the brain no longer functioning and no afterlife or reincarnation because none of that exists.
    Rich or poor, we all go in the ground.

What do you mean by this? You criticised her for not having anything to do with her other children. But they were put up for adoption, so why would she be expected to? And following on from that, why would she know the children of the children she put up for adoption? Do people not know how adoption works?

Unless you are criticising her for putting her children up for adoption. Is it something you oppose?

What do you mean by this? You criticised her for not having anything to do with her other children. But they were put up for adoption, so why would she be expected to? And following on from that, why would she know the children of the children she put up for adoption? Do people not know how adoption works?

Unless you are criticising her for putting her children up for adoption. Is it something you oppose?

No, no, no. I have no problem with people putting children up for adoption, or adoption in general. I do have a problem with the idea of putting a child up for adoption, and when they try and make contact with you, you completely blank them. For someone who lost a child very young, you'd think she would do their best to maintain contact with the living children. Instead, she denied they existed until it was shown that they did. When they went to the papers asking to meet her, or to meet her grandchildren.

But she much rather maintain one child's legacy than build any kind of relationship with the living ones. To me it seemed self serving-because he was famous, he was her focus. And she could make money from him.
    I found that reprehensible.

No, no, no. I have no problem with people putting children up for adoption, or adoption in general. I do have a problem with the idea of putting a child up for adoption, and when they try and make contact with you, you completely blank them. For someone who lost a child very young, you'd think she would do their best to maintain contact with the living children. Instead, she denied they existed until it was shown that they did. When they went to the papers asking to meet her, or to meet her grandchildren.

But she much rather maintain one child's legacy than build any kind of relationship with the living ones. To me it seemed self serving-because he was famous, he was her focus. And she could make money from him.
    I found that reprehensible.

That’s an incredibly complex issue. Personally I would not judge anyone for that without knowing the full details. I can’t imagine she denied the existence of human beings she gave birth to.

And her losing the child she didn’t put up for adoption is a separate thing to putting children up for adoption. She wouldn’t have expected to lose him when he was relatively young (no parent expects to bury their child) and the other children were already adopted at that point. Going to the papers in an attempt to meet your birth mother isn’t a great move either, is it?

You really are being very judgemental and making all sorts of assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Yeah, I know I'd rather people talked **** about when I'm dead instead of while I'm alive anyways!

Advertisement