Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Genuinely head scratching comment, literally what is the point of the remark?
    they are questioning whether the core motivation for this attack was a fear or hatred of homosexuals. it dosnt matter to the victims since they took beating either way but a randomer on the internet is permitted to ask the question particularly as robbery was also involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

serious question, are all crime committed by men against women misogynist?

Ofc there is no element of misogyny involved where a bunch of lads beat up and rob women who wouldn’t kiss each other for their entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ofc there is no element of misogyny involved were a bunch of lads beat up and rob women who wouldn’t kiss each other for their entertainment.
    thats nice but youre not answering the question asked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I agree with plenty of what you say. It is incredible the way things get deflected and twisted to make it seem like the victim is the one at fault. Aoife Dooley thread, Sinead Burke thread. Astonishing (well it should be).

But I think things should be described accurately. I don't think they were attacked *because* they're gay. I think they were attacked because they wouldn't do what was demanded of them and because they were easy targets.

I understand what you're saying, I think it comes down to semantics. They were *physically* attacked because they wouldn't do what they were told but they were attacked verbally because they were gay. I would consider being asked to kiss someone for the entertainment of others a form of attack.

thats nice but youre not answering the question asked

Of course not. But this is very definitely a misogynistic and homophobic attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

serious question, are all crime committed by men against women misogynist?

Not necessarily, but when the attack is committed because the perpetrators have the notion that women, and lesbians in particular, are obliged to perform for them to provide sexual titillation, and who resort to violence when the women dare to refuse then how is it not coming from a misogynistic place? It is objectification of and dominance over women. Would they have asked two gay men to do similar? Highly doubtful.

Put it this way, a group of men trying to force women into performing sexual favours for them (which is sexual assault in itself) , and then beating them up when they refuse clearly is a misogynistic attack IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

YFlyer wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    4 lads arrested, one had been speaking Spanish. But sure, religion of peace...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/07/two-women-left-bloodied-in-homophobic-attack-on-london-bus

Where does it say they were speaking Spanish?

The flight attendant typed entered a detail account of the attack to facebook in both English and Spanish.

Fair enough, quoted the wrong article.

From the BBC "Ms Geymonat said one of the men spoke Spanish and the others had British accents"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48555889

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree with plenty of what you say. It is incredible the way things get deflected and twisted to make it seem like the victim is the one at fault. Aoife Dooley thread, Sinead Burke thread. Astonishing (well it should be).

But I think things should be described accurately. I don't think they were attacked *because* they're gay. I think they were attacked because they wouldn't do what was demanded of them and because they were easy targets.

Your doing the same thing just out the other side of your mouth.
    It stinks of a homophobihic attack, trying to deny that makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Of course not. But this is very definitely a misogynistic and homophobic attack.
    Why very definitely? It was deplorable. The perpetrators are disgusting and it seems too that homophobia and misogyny are becoming increasingly fashionable again, but I don't see any definite evidence that the attack was because they're women and because they're gay.

_Brian wrote: »
    Your doing the same thing just out the other side of your mouth.
    It stinks of a homophobihic attack, trying to deny that makes no sense.
    Oh please, look at my posts on the Aoife Dooley and Sinead Burke threads rather than lazily and unfairly lumping me in with that crowd.

• Advertisement

Why very definitely? It was deplorable. The perpetrators are disgusting and it seems too that homophobia and misogyny are becoming increasingly fashionable again, but I don't see any definite evidence that the attack was because they're women and because they're gay.

Yeah they were going to target a pair of heterosexual men and try make them kiss each other but there weren’t any on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Utter lowlifes whoever the hell they were. They basically just sexually assaulted (the forced kissing), harassed and then physically assaulted two gay women on a bus because they wouldn't perform for them.

Hopefully they're not tried as children as they sound like they would be a risk to society in general given the level of violence when they didn't get their way.

Yeah they were going to target a pair of heterosexual men and try make them kiss each other but there weren’t any on the bus.
    Yeah fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I doubt an English speaker would recognize a Spanish tone. Any pictures of the attackers?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trump was spot on when he called out the sadiq Kahn during the week.

There were about 2 and a half times as many murders in New York as London last year. He should probably be looking closer to home when giving out about cities.

Das Reich wrote: »
    I doubt an English speaker would recognize a Spanish tone. Any pictures of the attackers?
    We've finally reached parody. :D

Yeah that obscure Spanish accent. So non distinctive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

At least being London, they will be on CCTV multiple times on the bus and the street. It shouldn't take long to track them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anteayer wrote: »
    At least being London, they will be on CCTV multiple times on the bus and the street. It shouldn't take long to track them down.
    Arrests have been made. Its in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well I am an English speaker and would recognize a Spanish tone a mile away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Huh?

How can you not recognise Spanish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

We've finally reached parody. :D

Yeah that obscure Spanish accent. So non distinctive.

I have very distinctive Portuguese accent, yet anglo people had asked me if I was speaking, Polish, German, French... They can't recognize a Chinese from an Indian, yet she was so sure about he being Spanish speaker. Strange. A photo and names of the attackers would be better. I will follow till police find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

My feeling is that this was a gang of scumbags, who are used to bullying, humiliating and intimidating people. Had they not stumbled upon the lesbian couple, they would have harassed somebody else. They are just out to create general mischief, but I'm sure anybody who was "different" would have been a target. I don't feel they sought out homosexuals, but targeted them as they woul a "nerdy" teenager.

I have very distinctive Portuguese accent, yet anglo people had asked me if I was speaking, Polish, German, French... They can't recognize a Chinese from an Indian, yet she was so sure about he being Spanish speaker. Strange. A photo and names of the attackers would be better. I will follow till police find them.
    Why do you doubt this happened? Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Terrible attack, very sad, scummy behaviour, one wonders about the thought processes of the gang involved.

But, apart from that, the BBC has a dedicated LGBT Correspondent?!?!

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

"Why do Gay people still need to have a Pride parade, sure there's no more real homophobia."

"Oh this wasn't a gay attack, sure they attacked a gay couple, harassed them, attacked them and told them to kiss but this wasn't a gay attack."

"Probably Muslims."

Jesus Christ I weep for After Hours these days. Long gone are the days of fun and banter, now it's just right wingers spreading their usual ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,379 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's waffle.

Tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Horrific. I feel they have intentionally left out an important detail about the attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Horrific. I feel they have intentionally left out an important detail about the attackers.

Really? What would that be? And do you have some knowledge unknown to the beeb and the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Odhinn wrote: »
    Really? What would that be? And do you have some knowledge unknown to the beeb and the rest of us?

I would assume the girls would have a fair idea of the ethnicity of the attackers, wouldn’t you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ceadaoin. wrote:
    What? This has nothing to do with religious beliefs. The men wanted the women to put on a show for them. When they refused they beat them. So not just a homophobic attack, a misogynistic one too from men who think that women exist for their titillation, and who don't like to be told no

You have to remember that many people hide behind religion to mask or try justify their homophobic beliefs

Advertisement