Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your scene?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

probably the only ones in Ireland really,

You really think that you were in a scene of 3 people that liked 80s hardcore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Raconteuse wrote: »
    How is it a stupid thread? It's actually a really interesting topic. That comment just seems like snark for the sake of it, ditto the thanks it got.

Anyway, unquestionably goth (British 80s one). Not that I was around for it but had I been, it was made for me.

Love the atmospheric music of Siouxsie, Sisters of Mercy, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, The Cure etc. And the more stylish aspect of the look - medieval meets a hint of S&M. Patricia Morrison of Sisters of Mercy looked unreal imo. Plus it would have been a handy "scene" for me too as I've straight black hair and I'm pale as fook. I'm also one of those dreadful people who's not mad about the sun.

I love the look in 60s/70s movies too - like the Hammer Horror films. Those women were stunning. And even Morticia Addams and the woman who played the mother in The Munsters.

Of course it was silly and OTT at times, and very self absorbed (Sisters of Mercy were taking the piss but dunno about the others) - however a bit of theatre is fine by me!

Gawd this post brings me back - like way, way back :(

The Cure and Depeche Mode were huuuge in my primary school (primary school is until age 14/15 in my country, and after that 4 years of secondary).

Me, I have always been in for a mainstream-head, Top of the Pops kinda deal. It is what it is.

I will say one thing though, the more time passes, the more I am aware at just how special and awesome the time and the place I grew up in was, socially, creatively, music-wise, everything. 80's were the best. The later rave scene of the 90's was not my scene at all. I completely skipped it. Too soulless and drug-driven to float my boat.

And now I'm just an aul wan, out of the loop altogether. And I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Oh I'd have loved acid house in the late 80s/early 90s but yeah, the 80s was the biz.

tedbrennan wrote: »
    The 1980s gave us: synth pop, new romantic, thrash metal, glam metal, acid house, electro, deep house, shoegazing, madchester, techno and industrial.
    80s and 90s. :)

Although the bulk of it originated in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

tedbrennan wrote: »
    The 1980s gave us: synth pop, new romantic, thrash metal, glam metal, acid house, electro, deep house, shoegazing, madchester, techno and industrial.

The 2010s gave us: nout.

• Advertisement

Never did understand why people needed to identify with a particular music scene. I have a particular love for Blues, Classic Rock, and Italian Opera. :D

I listen to just about anything except Rap, and the newer pop country western. Just as I've been to concerts for a wide range of artists from White Zombie, Foo Fighters, Bjork, BB King, Rod Stewart, etc.

I like masses of different types of music but there can still be one "look" that you identify with the most.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Anyway, unquestionably goth (British 80s one). Not that I was around for it but had I been, it was made for me.

Influenced a lot of great chart music. The white weddings; she sells sanctuarys hard as it may be for folk to get their head around these days it was the sound of the street and ultimately provided an opportunity for to kids to wear their christianity. Agnostic; at worst and much like the church there were a few who seemed to get involved for all the wrong reasons in giving it not such a good rep but it was a movement I would hold in great reverence myself

Actually I was in my sitting room a few weeks back and the strained warbles of what sounded like ian Curtis meets the sisters of mercy started flooding out from the club all over the street! Not the usual karaoke nite I thought, it must have been a band for somebody’s birthday and it only got funnier as the PA go cranked up further. Fella was givin it socks but against the backdrop of a church / graveyard and under that moon it occurred to me that actually yeah it was a soundscape befitting the landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Metal/rock & folk, although funnily enough when I run I listen to House, or some Ibiza anthems.

I don’t like intense music if I’m tryin to excercise either it’s more like the ‘dub shack’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

i was the classic mid 90's indie disco kid obsessed with Radiohead, Ocean Colour Scene, Blur, The Divine Comedy and a total obscurist, always favouring rare B sides or unreleased demos etc. So, a total pain in the arse, basically. But hey, that's what your teens are for!

Always listened to stuff from before my own time too though (Queen, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Floyd, The Cure, The Smyths, Paul Brady, Van Morrison etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Symphonic black metal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bobblehats reminded me. Àh the cult, sisters of mercy. A few others I can quite remember

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself teenage years I was a emo out and out.

Then went to college and then loved raves (never done pills), a rave to me was good music, drink and woman. Everyone I was at in college I have a story from that rave.
    Don't think I be able for then now.

Now late 20s music wise it's everything and anything I go from David bowie to afi to panic at the disco to Steve aoki and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Ska and punk in the late 70s and early 80s. I'm still a skinhead* today, never grew out of the style or the music. In general I hated the 80s music and style at the time. New Romantics me ar$e :rolleyes:

(* 100% anti-fascist skinhead)

Love proper hardcore Rebel stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Britpop. Nothing better than relaxing to UB40 or Def Leppard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Techno, open mics, byob events, food festivals, local band nights.

I suppose I should elaborate more like the rest of ye-

With music, anything goes. The playlist often ranges from 90s techno, acid techno, to folk music, rock, Spanish Latino music...with a bit of dance and 80s thrown in!

Shes a manneeeatteerr.. Oh here she comes. With a bit of dire straits, the cure,

Tune.

Music is a huge part of life. Used to be extremely passionate about it in my teen years, which has kind of faded, but I still try to make time for it, and make myself fall in love with songs again like I once did!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Meh.

I thought this thread was going to be about sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sligojoek wrote: »
    Meh.

I thought this thread was going to be about sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Growing up it was metal all the way.

Then my tastes broadened out and I listened to more classic rock. Discovered that, far from being dull stuff for the old bastards, The Beatles were the best band of all time - that kind of basic trajectory.

Got more into indieish type music, but still always retained a love for anything heavy involving a guy growling about dismembering people, that kind of thing.

These days I listen to a lot of different stuff -rock, metal, alternative (which is a bit of crap description), electronic, folk, hip-hop.

I don't know what scene that places me in. I know that 95% of my t-shirts are music related. I suppose I'm a metaller at heart and I'll always feel comfortable in some sweaty venue, which reeks of BO, with some fella on stage roaring his head off, but I'll generally go to most gigs that I can go to, regardless of genre.

I think once you get out of your twenties, to still actively take an interest in music - in the sense of seeking out new bands, acts or sounds and going to gigs - kind of becomes a "scene" in and of itself. Most of the people who I went to school or university with, who would have argued passionately, at length, about the merits of one album over another, or would have thought nothing of crossing the country to see a random band don't have quite the same passion for music that they once had. That's fair enough. Other responsibilities and interests develop in a person's life over time. People have kids and marriages to think about, I can understand how they mightn't have the time to check out the new FKA Twigs, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Loads of stuff, but blues still the big one. I may or may not have been influenced by a dodgy movie back in the 80s starring Ralph Maccio.
    vlcsnap-2010-01-14-12h45m29s186.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Don't have a "scene" anymore, appreciate all good music but back in the late 90's, early noughties it was mainly trance. Picotto, Judge Jules, Seb Fontaine and the likes. Many a good night in the Temple, followed by a set by Lisa Lashes down in the crypt. Been to Ibiza on a few occasions

Great days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

topper75 wrote: »
    Loads of stuff, but blues still the big one. I may or may not have been influenced by a dodgy movie back in the 80s starring Ralph Maccio.

I remember it well! A good/dodgy cameo from a certain Mr. Vai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sex, drugs and rock and roll baby and in that order too....... well used to be, these days it's mostly just the rock and roll:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Chapel Hill indie scene early to mid 90's, Grunge.

Advertisement