Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

• 27-11-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/where-have-all-our-young-teachers-gone-36666467.html

It is one of the great failures of Government policy that people like teachers, gardaí, nurses, doctors, firemen and on and on cannot afford to buy a house or apartment and live in Ireland, most especially in Dublin. Young teachers could not even afford to rent in Dublin. So the only avenue open is to go abroad, save hard and hope to get a deposit, the only downside being that the price of houses continues to escalate while they are away.

Due to the high rents in Dublin and other cities, why doesn't the government pay special allowances so that public-sector workers can afford to live in those place in order to fill vacancies for especially important jobs in those areas? Isn't that what already happens in Britain?

Teaching is a clear example of a profession in which job vacancies in cities cannot be filled because of high rents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Should be i reckon 20% extra for living n working in Dublin. Freeze all increments to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/where-have-all-our-young-teachers-gone-36666467.html

Due to the high rents in Dublin and other cities, why doesn't the government pay special allowances so that public-sector workers can afford to live in those place in order to fill vacancies for especially important jobs in those areas? Isn't that what already happens in Britain?

Teaching is a clear example of a profession in which job vacancies in cities cannot be filled because of high rents.

This a windup?

One of the highest paid public sector work forces in the oecd and they should be given rent allowance?

They should be just delighted we haven't started reverse bench marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What I get from that article is young teachers go to Dubai to earn big money, and their job is still available to them when they return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

The largest group of "accidental" landlords in this country are guards.

I call bull**** on any claim that they are not paid enough. Same for teachers. They get all summer off and can take second jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

limnam wrote: »
    This a windup?

One of the highest paid public sector work forces in the oecd and they should be given rent allowance?

Not sure what bearing 'one of the highest paid public sector work forces in the OECD' has got to do with this particular issue?
    If anything it shows how desperately bad starting net pay for public sector workers is and/or the exorbitant cost of living for everyone in Dublin is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

enricoh wrote: »
    Should be i reckon 20% extra for living n working in Dublin. Freeze all increments to pay for it.

Paying extra doesnt build more houses. Would be just pouring away money for nothing.

Paying extra doesnt build more houses. Would be just pouring away money for nothing.

Agree here. The issue is related to the ridiculous living costs in the city. Paying people more generally drives these costs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭political analyst

This a windup?

But the housing crisis is being blamed for the teacher shortage in Dublin, according to the following article from last year.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/teacher-shortage-in-capital-blamed-on-housing-crisis-36247775.html

BBFAN wrote: »
    The largest group of "accidental" landlords in this country are guards.

I call bull**** on any claim that they are not paid enough. Same for teachers. They get all summer off and can take second jobs.

Getting paid by the tax payer then off in Spain pulling in a second tax free salary before they come back here whining about having to correct a few papers that they pull another salary from!

License to print money.

But the housing crisis is being blamed for the teacher shortage in Dublin, according to the following article from last year.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/teacher-shortage-in-capital-blamed-on-housing-crisis-36247775.html

Why is the teachers forum on board always full of teachers not able to find work?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Agree here. The issue is related to the ridiculous living costs in the city. Paying people more generally drives these costs up.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that paying special allowances to public-sector workers in cities is what happens in Britain.

The INMO had an unsuccessful strike in 2007 in which one of its demands was a special allowance for nurses in Dublin.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that paying special allowances to public-sector workers in cities is what happens in Britain.

The INMO had an unsuccessful strike in 2007 in which one of its demands was a special allowance for nurses in Dublin.

British PS workers earn significantly less than here starting out and London is a far more expensive city to live in comparatively speaking......

• https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/where-have-all-our-young-teachers-gone-36666467.html

Cry me a river, private sector workers are afforded fewer protections and prone to wage cuts. And the holidays are nowhere near as generous.

From march last year.

Davy stockbrokers have today released a report on public sector pay in Ireland.
    The report has found that average public sector wages are €47,400 in Ireland, 40% higher than in the private sector

I don't know how they survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The article doesnt specify who it wants to price out of living in Dublin by giving public servants an advantage (paid by those being priced out of course) over them. Talk about a lose-lose for everyone else.

kippy wrote: »
    British PS workers earn significantly less than here starting out and London is a far more expensive city to live in comparatively speaking......

That is true, but it's also true that they are paid more in major cities in the UK where PS workers here are paid the same whether they live in the middle of Dublin or somewhere in the midlands.

There is a certain logic to paying a premium for cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Why not reduce the pay of those living outside of Dublin?

Cry me a river, private sector workers are afforded fewer protections and prone to wage cuts. And the holidays are nowhere near as generous.

Not to mention the "sick days" that are taken as holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thread turned into another public v private whinefest, how original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Don't worry. Sinn Fein and friends (the reason we have a property crisis) are to the rescue - https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-city-council-set-to-allow-families-build-log-cabins-in-back-gardens-888117.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From march last year.

Davy stockbrokers have today released a report on public sector pay in Ireland.
    The report has found that average public sector wages are €47,400 in Ireland, 40% higher than in the private sector

I don't know how they survive.

Yeah with a starting salary of less than 25k good luck with backing up those figures in the last 10 years for new entrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Giving teachers/guards/nurses extra cash is a great way to alievate the housing shortage.

Is what landlords will say.

You wouldn't be saying that if you had a child who can't get a comprehensive education because of teacher shortages or you couldn't get the necessary medical treatment because of a shortage of health workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The best solution is an across the board payrise for public servants of 10%

The article doesnt specify who it wants to price out of living in Dublin by giving public servants an advantage (paid by those being priced out of course) over them. Talk about a lose-lose for everyone else.

Do you not think that paying public sector workers more is justified in order to uphold the constitutional rights to life (i.e. saving of lives by health workers and protection of lives by gardaí and soldiers) and education (i.e. teachers)?

The Constitution permits infringement on some rights for the greater good, i.e. property rights with regard to compulsory purchase orders to make way for motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Do you not think that paying public sector workers more is justified in order to uphold the constitutional rights to life (i.e. saving of lives by health workers and protection of lives by gardaí and soldiers) and education (i.e. teachers)?

What about everyone else who works but can't do it? Is it just the teachers you want to protect?

I think you should declare a vested interest here if it applies.

ligerdub wrote: »
    What about everyone else who works but can't do it? Is it just the teachers you want to protect?

I think you should declare a vested interest here if it applies.

It doesn't.

• Bloody hell, 2018 is definitely the year when After Hours became Angry Hours. Social welfare recipients, travellers, OAPs getting free public transport access etc. I'm actually surprised it took until nearly the end of the year for a lightning rod to appear to focus attacks on that old reliable, the public servant.....

Bloody hell, 2018 is definitely the year when After Hours became Angry Hours. Social welfare recipients, travellers, OAPs getting free public transport access etc. I'm actually surprised it took until nearly the end of the year for a lightning rod to appear to focus attacks on that old reliable, the public servant.....

Isn't that what After Hours is for?

• Advertisement

• Isn't that what After Hours is for?

Wasn't it a sub department of the Ministry of Fun years ago? Can't remember the last time I genuinely laughed me b*ll*cks off reading a thread in here tbh.

Advertisement