Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

• 14-01-2017 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

As people here work in various jobs / professions they might know things from work or study no one here knows yet. this is what this topic is about.

what do you know that we have never heard of?

Eg: you don't need to be great at maths to be an architect

this is obvious to me but everyone says to me "i wanted to be an architect but i was bad at math,i can barely add"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The RIAI state that English and Maths are required Leaving Cert subjects as geometry, trigonometry and calculus are involved in the courses, so some decent grasp of Maths is required. Of course, the definition of 'good at' is wide open.

Rats and Horses can't vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

You never see elephants hiding in trees because they're just that fúcking good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Cattle & sheep are not native to Ireland.

Wolves & bears are (or were, I don't think there are that many left hanging around these days. Except in Leitrim).

• Advertisement

Apples have more genes than a Human.

This could go on for years.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lillo Brancato, the guy who played De Niro's son in A Bronx Tale (after they discovered him by trawling New York for someone who looked like De Niro) was charged with second-degree murder after a cop was killed in a shoot-out right after he came across Brancato and another man (his girlfriend's father) attempting to break into a house to get drugs. He was found not guilty but was still sentenced to ten years for the burglary and was released on NYE 2013.

Now, bet you didn't know that and you wondering why his career hadn't taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

maudgonner wrote: »

Wolves & bears are (or were, I don't think there are that many left hanging around these days. Except in Leitrim).

Leitrim isn't a real place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Apples have more genes than a Human.

This could go on for years.......

But more humans are named Gene than apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You can fix a broken nail using a teabag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This our version of TIL?

The most northerly point in Ireland is in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

While around 10% of Irish people have red hair (ginger) 46% of Irish people carry the red hair genes.
    If both parents carry red hair genes, their offspring have a 25% of having red hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ireland is a metric country since the 1970's. Some people don't seem to realise.

The USA is also a Metric country, their armed forces use Metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Full fat Milk is a low fat drink.

People who drink full (whole) milk have a 46% less chance of diabetes than people who drink low fat/skimmed milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

1. That in common law countries (former British Empire), a lot of law is based on and developed by precedents decided before hand, as many already know. In civil law countries (the remainder, Europe) they legislate every possible situation before it can happen.

2. Some sections of the Magna Carta is still in effect in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

US law forbids renting of vinyl records

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Elemonator wrote: »
    1. That in common law countries (former British Empire), a lot of law is based on and developed by precedents decided before hand, as many already know. In civil law countries (the remainder, Europe) they legislate every possible situation before it can happen.

2. Some sections of the Magna Carta is still in effect in Ireland.

Early Irish laws are interesting. No fault divorce. A man could beat his wife, but if he left a mark she was entitled to compensation. The highest rank of poet had the same status as bishops and kings.

My favourite is one that describes how a king spends his week:
    Sunday is for drinking ale, Monday is for judging, Tuesday is for playing fidchell, Wednesday is for watching hounds hunt, Thursday is for sexual union, Friday is for racing horses, and Saturday is for judging (a different word from Monday, but the distinction is unclear).

Much better than Craig David!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You can fix a broken nail using a teabag

How?
    The most northerly point in Ireland is in the South.

Can you give a little bit more info please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How?

You cut a little square from the teabag paper, you use a tiny little piece of nail glue to stick it like a bandaid over the broken part of the nail, and you use a gentle file/buffer over it to blend it into the natural nail. Paint over it with a coat of two of base coat/top coat/colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

You cut a little square from the teabag paper, you use a tiny little piece of nail glue to stick it like a bandaid over the broken part of the nail, and you use a gentle file/buffer over it to blend it into the natural nail. Paint over it with a coat of two of base coat/top coat/colour

Just to add to this- Malin Head is in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

But its going to break again the second you bit it with a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Cartouche wrote: »
    As people here work in various jobs / professions they might know things from work or study no one here knows yet. this is what this topic is about.

what do you know that we have never heard of?

Eg: you don't need to be great at maths to be an architect

this is obvious to me but everyone says to me "i wanted to be an architect but i was bad at math,i can barely add"
    I have heard people use that excuse because they can't do Sudoku

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The earliest sunset is about December 12th not the 21st. There's a stretch in evenings by the 21st.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Malin Head is in The South i.e. not in The North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

John F. Kennedy was dating Miss Denmark in the 1940's, and when they stayed at Summer House in Charleston the FBI bugged their room because they thought she may be a Nazi spy. Turns out they didn't hear a lot of conversation, but instead a lot of NSFW time. Tapes are in the Library of Congress

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ireland is a metric country since the 1970's. Some people don't seem to realise.
    Irish mainline railways have been using 1600 mm since 1843.

Needless to say today the Luas uses 4 feet  8 1⁄2 inches because :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maudgonner wrote: »

Wolves and bears were all killed off.

Rabbits aren't native here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wolves and bears were all killed off.

Rabbits aren't native here.

The imported rabbits killed off our wolves and bears? Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

But we're getting there, inch by inch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement