Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Watches in landed in Dublin airport now - good thing I paid that VAT cost already!

Should be at my doorstep on Monday all going well :)

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Watches in landed in Dublin airport now - good thing I paid that VAT cost already!

Should be at my doorstep on Monday all going well :)
    I'm very excited now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Getting closer by the day. Won't be long now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ya8kegTT8 - Random Rob is going to do a review of the Starlight apparently (heh no, not a paid review) - the background is interesting in that it was actually a watch I sent on to a reviewer as a way to support his content creation for a small(ish) channel but he apparently knows Rob and sent it on to him to take a look too.

So it is possible to have 50k+ sub channels do free reviews too :P

Heh - I "squeezed every penny" and will be adding a QR springbar to the Equinox bracelet too - not the dedicated diver attachment - that will use non-QR for "proper diving" but drilled lugs will help you change out of those too... will allow you to swap the bracelet easily to say a salmon strap if you want to have your diver on a dressier strap instead...

Those bottom lines rise with every extra "little" feature I add - but I want to make this as awesome as possible ("for the price" - I know Fitz hates that phrase ha - but Sólás can't charge 4-8k for a diver with "no" compromises)... the QR bracelet is one less compromise though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ya8kegTT8 - Random Rob is going to do a review of the Starlight apparently (heh no, not a paid review) - the background is interesting in that it was actually a watch I sent on to a reviewer as a way to support his content creation for a small(ish) channel but he apparently knows Rob and sent it on to him to take a look too.

So it is possible to have 50k+ sub channels do free reviews too :P

Those lads have a great Discord network and send watches “on tour”. Some of the best unbiased watch reviews around. Just normal guys buying affordable/entry luxury watches without notions. Random Rob, Bruce Williams, DougFNJ, SaleenDriver etc. Definitely worth subs and catching the weekly live chats.

5pm today - I'm like someone waiting for the prom date to arrive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was scrolling through Instagram, saw a watch an though "jesus, that's a nice watch" before I realised it was a solas.

Fantastic watch, this is the post btw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO-ivj1r2_r/?igshid=153ca6znvv90e

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3192367

Latest update - over the next while I'll be relatively quiet I think as I get on with watch work - see you all on the other side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Well done. While I never publically said it, I was slightly fearful for you incase your factory partner would mess you around. 500 custom movements I suspect is a very small run for them.

It’s a good day for Solas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Shamrock92

Delighted to see things come to fruition Diyu. Long road and a lot of work clearly put in but you've done an incredible job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

5pm today - I'm like someone waiting for the prom date to arrive :D

Saw that on instagram too, congrats TF, bet you slept well. Hope all goes well now with QC, straps and getting them out to customers.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

A very professional looking package congratulations,

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Well done Diyu and best of luck putting the final part together, you have everything at hand now so don't be putting yourself under pressure getting them out an extra day or two won't matter now. We all look forward to the finished product.

hammerdub wrote: »
    Well done Diyu and best of luck putting the final part together, you have everything at hand now so don't be putting yourself under pressure getting them out an extra day or two won't matter now. We all look forward to the finished product.

You say that - but (and I suspect for some people they may be backing their first KS ever) there are people who ordered multiple watches to be given to groomsmen for a late June wedding - I really wouldn't recommend that for a KS project usually - but felt comfortable that I personally could deliver.

Might be giving some people unreasonable expectations for any other KS projects they back :pac: (for those who don't know - it's "reasonable" (I don't find it reasonable) to have delays of 3-4 months on many KS projects and 6-12 months in horror stories (if the project creator doesn't run off)) - I don't regard that as reasonable though - so had enough buffer time that despite some issues in the background (you can't expect everything to go smoothly) we are still delivering exactly on time.

Ok - back to work for me *zips mouth* :D

in horror stories (if the project creator doesn't run offD

That happens 50 percent of the time for Irish watch Kickstarter’s. That’s a verified stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

To see Diyu's project come to fruition and his creative vision finally and fully birthed...
    Makes me very happy and isn't it funny how now he has one birth out of the way?
    That he has baking away in the background not just with the next Sólás projects, but!
    Slapping a bun in Mrs TF's oven!

I have no doubt that the combined baking skills of both Mr & Mrs TF will far exceed the horological vision of TF on his own :)

Congratulations on bringing the Starlight to fruition, but even moreso on the journey of family and parenthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭dinorebel

banie01 wrote: »
    To see Diyu's project come to fruition and his creative vision finally and fully birthed...
    Makes me very happy and isn't it funny how now he has one birth out of the way?
    That he has baking away in the background not just with the next Sólás projects, but!
    Slapping a bun in Mrs TF's oven!

I have no doubt that the combined baking skills of both Mr & Mrs TF will far exceed the horological vision of TF on his own :)

Congratulations on bringing the Starlight to fruition, but even moreso on the journey of family and parenthood.

You old romantic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

Fantastic achievement TF. A lot of hard work has paid off. I'm really looking forward to having the watch in hand. And congrats on the charity run too. All in all an exceptional project. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

It is quite an achievement and should rightly be an enormous source of satisfaction.

Maith an fear!

• Advertisement

First watches shipped out - postman was very helpful with advice and provided rolls of stickers... I told him I'll be coming in every day to send 10-15 parcels for the next 30 days or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Great work TF, delighted to get a tracking no. It must feel amazing for you to finally see them heading off into the world!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

First watches shipped out - postman was very helpful with advice and provided rolls of stickers... I told him I'll be coming in every day to send 10-15 parcels for the next 30 days or so :D

Not sure where you're based exactly, but happy to lend a hand with packaging etc if needed. If it can help speed up one side of the process more than happy to help!

Sorry for the spam - thought I should get the strap use instructions out to people before I had a chance to shoot a new version of the instruction video:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch/posts/3194603

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

First post in this forum but have been a long time follower.

My planned lie on this morning was interrupted by a knock from the postman. Best ruined lie on ever as it turned out to by the much anticipated arrival of the Starlight.

I have to say the updates and photos along the way have been great but the finished product is even more fantastic. I was hoping to have it in time for my wedding in the next few weeks so amazing that its finally here.

Congratulations Diyu on bringing this all to life over the past few years. All the hard work and thought you have put in is really evident in the quality and design of the product - it is beautiful.

I wish you the best of luck and continued success as you grow the brand. I will be definitely back for more!

553595.jpg

Edit: FYI I haven't yet taken off the protective film for those with an eagle eye.

Leave the stickers on. Be worth a fortune in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

893bet wrote: »
    Leave the stickers on. Be worth a fortune in years to come.

The grey-market price will be keenly watched. The first sighting on Chrono24 will be like that of the first Cuckoo in Spring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Magellanic wrote: »
    First post in this forum but have been a long time follower.

It looks fantastic, and brilliant to see one finally out in the wild amongst boardsies.

I was lucky enough to get my tracking number last night :)
    But alas, no delivery this morning :(
    Fingers crossed for tmrw morning, I've already sold a watch to make space for this icon in my rotation :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Magellanic wrote: »
    Edit: FYI I haven't yet taken off the protective film for those with an eagle eye.
    You're also 8 days ahead. :)

Advertisement