Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go Safe speed vans - essential service.

• 25-03-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Passed one this morning.

Strategically placed as usual on a long empty stretch of road in the city.
    Completely shooting fish in a barrel as roads empty on this normally busy stretch of road.
    I assumed in the current climate that every effort would be made to keep staff from all non essential services at home in there houses to stop the spread but obviously these guys are an essential service :rolleyes: :pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The traffic program (4 - 7 p.m., DJ is Hugh Hick) on Dublin City FM yesterday was pleading with people to not use empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots exceeding the speed limits. He said that he was responding to reports from listeners.

So are speed vans an 'essential' service. As long as there are morons out there who treat empty roads as race tracks, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

They are effectively self isolating and yes if they limit accidents they are definitely essential services limiting the use of emergency services and hospitals. We need more of them on the roads at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

More morons on the road then ever, these vans don't catch these tools though....

coylemj wrote: »
    The traffic program (4 - 7 p.m., DJ is Hugh Hick) on Dublin City FM yesterday was pleading with people to not use empty roads as an excuse to drive like idiots exceeding the speed limits. He said that he was responding to reports from listeners.

So are speed vans an 'essential' service. As long as there are morons out there who treat empty roads as race tracks, yes.

am I the only one to read that (dj) name as huge dick? too much isolation I guess:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

REXER wrote: »
    They are effectively self isolating and yes if they limit accidents they are definitely essential services limiting the use of emergency services and hospitals. We need more of them on the roads at the moment!

Not sure how they are self isolating ?
    They hardly drive the van home after a shift :pac:
    Obviously they drive to the depot to pick up the van where other staff and drivers are. Maybe they have their lunch in the van also ? I honestly don't know ? Do they take a bus or luas to work ? If so they are again adding to the issue. If not then their cars will be needing petrol which will mean a trip to petrol station again more human interaction.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised service stations aren't making customers use the hatch and keep people out of the shops ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Technically the GoSafe vans are a Garda service (traffic policing).. even if it a service that is contracted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm surprised service stations aren't making customers use the hatch and keep people out of the shops ...

Because customers spend more when you let them into the shop. A lot of them couldn't survive on the margin they make on fuel. And if you have to go to a hatch, you will buy solely on price and go to the guy who's cheapest in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I giggle at these threads, its always someone else's fault no matter what.

Some people think that because there is national crisis, that they are entitled to some sort of a free pass around certain laws and regulations. They then grasp at straws by claiming it's a BS health and safety concern, shooting fish in a barrel, blah, blah. The speed limits on our roads are the same today as they were 2 months ago, as are the laws governing them. If you choose to break the speed limit then be prepared to take the punishment if caught otherwise don't be the fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Not sure how they are self isolating ?
    They hardly drive the van home after a shift :pac:
    Obviously they drive to the depot to pick up the van where other staff and drivers are. Maybe they have their lunch in the van also ? I honestly don't know ? Do they take a bus or luas to work ? If so they are again adding to the issue. If not then their cars will be needing petrol which will mean a trip to petrol station again more human interaction.

So you want the road all to yourself? They are in the vans, on their own when they are set up to "Shooting fish in a barrel" and who knows, possibly they do have their meals with them. All the rest of your post is exactly what you need when using your own transport. Just follow the rules, drive sensibly, take care on the roads and hopefully you won't be an additional burden on a medical system that is rapidly being overwhelmed.

Please stay safe out there on the roads and have a nice day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

bazz26 wrote: »

Some people think that because there is national crisis, that they are entitled to some sort of a free pass around certain laws and regulations. They then grasp at straws by claiming it's a BS health and safety concern, shooting fish in a barrel, blah, blah. The speed limits on our roads are the same today as they were 2 months ago, as are the laws governing them. If you choose to break the speed limit then be prepared to take the punishment if caught otherwise don't be the fish.

For what its worth I didn't get done as I had just came around a corner onto the road. While waiting at the traffic lights I saw the odd car pass by which would have passed in its path. Probably just the over the limit the odd one or two. The sad irony is these people who probably got done are more than likely the front line staff going to work keeping the country going during this sh!tstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest, it sounds like your just making that assertion to support your rant @ GoSafe vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

How many road fatalities have there been since the emergency measures were introduced,?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

How many road fatalities have there been since the emergency measures were introduced,?

Numbers of deaths on Irish roads soar despite coronavirus restrictions

Fools driving like absolute maniacs....

Getting tail gated at any time of the morning or evening or night.....

Happening at 430am or 12pm... Fcuking absolute as# hats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

no one seems to have copped that the lads have super sniper speed cams now , and can you get from anywhere

i spotted one outside new ross hiding behind a bridge pillar , looked like a construction worker til i got closer .

its game over , the golden age of pushing it a bit is history

no one seems to have copped that the lads have super sniper speed cams now , and can you get from anywhere

i spotted one outside new ross hiding behind a bridge pillar , looked like a construction worker til i got closer .

its game over , the golden age of pushing it a bit is history

Yeah but the van will still be hiding around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

For what its worth I didn't get done as I had just came around a corner onto the road. While waiting at the traffic lights I saw the odd car pass by which would have passed in its path. Probably just the over the limit the odd one or two. The sad irony is these people who probably got done are more than likely the front line staff going to work keeping the country going during this sh!tstorm.

So did you flash them a warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »

Same people giving out about there being traffic wardens in the city today (Limerick)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....there was light before, and even less now, that 'speeding' is anything other than A component in the statistics. And a minor one at that.

I suggest the current situation where over 65s are singled out, along with 'leisure driving' and by extension not on 'everyday routes' that one of the elephants in the room is the appalling condition of those roads.

Poor surfaces, non-existent - and even where present - completely ineffectual road markings and the absence of cats eye's all combine to make driving on those a challenge. And you'll get accidents.

I'd be very interested in the actual data on this latest tranche of accidents.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    .....there was light before, and even less now, that 'speeding' is anything other than A component in the statistics. And a minor one at that.

I suggest the current situation where over 65s are singled out, along with 'leisure driving' and by extension not on 'everyday routes' that one of the elephants in the room is the appalling condition of those roads.

Poor surfaces, non-existent - and even where present - completely ineffectual road markings and the absence of cats eye's all combine to make driving on those a challenge. And you'll get accidents.

I'd be very interested in the actual data on this latest tranche of accidents.

Drive to the conditions, if you know the roads are crap don't drive too fast.

Passed one this morning.

Completely shooting fish in a barrel as roads empty on this normally busy stretch of road.
    I assumed in the current climate that every effort would be made to keep staff from all non essential services at home in there houses to stop the spread but obviously these guys are an essential service :rolleyes: :pac::pac::pac:

A, so a long road that allowed for a nicer build up of speed to 'see what she's got'

B, a nice long visible road so you could see the marked up van well in advance.

C, a nice long road where you were pre warned the can would be positioned

D, the operator is alone, so isolated.

E, positions are picked in advance having identified areas where fatal collisions have occurred thus targeting dangerous areas and allowing those positions to be advertised in advance

F, the service does not make enough to cover the cost

G, if the van was on a bend it would be causing accidents and probable fatalities not preventing them.

You are obviously one of those drivers that considers themselves to be better than the rest and therefore shouldn't need to comply with the rules and is annoyed when penalized.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Cant wait to see how the RSA spins that into speeding kills :pac:

Less cars on road means less congestion and more people speeding.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

A, so a long road that allowed for a nicer build up of speed to 'see what she's got'

B, a nice long visible road so you could see the marked up van well in advance.

C, a nice long road where you were pre warned the can would be positioned

D, the operator is alone, so isolated.

E, positions are picked in advance having identified areas where fatal collisions have occurred thus targeting dangerous areas and allowing those positions to be advertised in advance

F, the service does not make enough to cover the cost

G, if the van was on a bend it would be causing accidents and probable fatalities not preventing them.

You are obviously one of those drivers that considers themselves to be better than the rest and therefore shouldn't need to comply with the rules and is annoyed when penalized.

They aren't' where fatalities occurred on all roads. Beside me there's been a few fatalities over the years yet the Go Safe van is in none of these locations, it's parked off the road where there's never been a fatality and it's hard to see.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They aren't' where fatalities occurred on all roads. Beside me there's been a few fatalities over the years yet the Go Safe van is in none of these locations, it's parked off the road where there's never been a fatality and it's hard to see.

It may have changed but that was very much the policy last time I looked. I doubt you can remember all the fatalities but it's all on the website anyway

And they can't park in areas that will cause more fatalities as a result of their presence ie bends not is there enough of them to cover all the spots all the time.

It may have changed but that was very much the policy last time I looked. I doubt you can remember all the fatalities but it's all on the website anyway

And they can't park in areas that will cause more fatalities as a result of their presence ie bends not is there enough of them to cover all the spots all the time.

I know where they were because the memorials are still there. The occured on dual carriageways and other open roads, no memorials where the speed van parks.

Passed one this morning.

If everyone knows the speed limit then they should be catching 0 people every day.

Fish in a barrel my hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Del2005 wrote: »
    I know where they were because the memorials are still there. The occured on dual carriageways and other open roads, no memorials where the speed van parks.

You arent permitted to put memorials up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Don't drive over the speed limit and you won't have to worry about been caught, pretty simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Cant wait to see how the RSA spins that into speeding kills :pac:

Exactly, most of the deaths are with the over 65s, not exactly an age category noted for driving over the speed limit.

It won't stop the RSA's propaganda about 'speed kills', though.

Advertisement