Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus and the driving test (all tests now suspended)

Options
  • 13-03-2020 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hard to believe the RSA are conducting driving tests in these telling times.

Testers are sitting in cars with strangers they know nothing about within an enclosed environment for an extended period.

I'm told lots of ADI's have withdrawn their service but the RSA keep the cash cow going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

caldew wrote: »
    Hard to believe the RSA are conducting driving tests in these telling times.

Testers are sitting in cars with strangers they know nothing about within an enclosed environment for an extended period....
    I don't understand your logic. Sharing a vehicle with one person is multiple times safer than using public transport, visiting a pub, restaurant, shop, airport etc. or being at work - none of which have been prohibited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

All tests now suspended until March 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Markhealylouth

Posy wrote: »
    All tests now suspended until March 29th.

I'm waiting for a test date, my concern now is using public transport until I get my license. If this Corona is going to get worse people in my position are not keeping enough distance from eachother. I have my own car, what are other users experience and thoughts on this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm getting the bus as normal. No other choice for me to get to work.
    Everyone else I work with is still getting public transport, as I am in the city with no parking.

Luckily it's so quiet, everyone has a seat to themselves, and I make sure to sanitise once I'm off the bus, and wash my hands once I am back indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I'm waiting for a test date, my concern now is using public transport until I get my license. If this Corona is going to get worse people in my position are not keeping enough distance from eachother. I have my own car, what are other users experience and thoughts on this?

Tests are suspended until at least March 29th and they currently aren’t scheduling new ones. The suspended ones will take priority when they start back and the waiting list will lengthen

I was supposed to do my (motorbike) theory test today, and got an email and text last night saying it was cancelled, and to ring or email them to re-schedule.

I don't really see the point in re-scheduling as surely they'll just be cancelled again in a week or two anyway.

Have seen some Driving Instructor cars still out on the road so at least they're still keeping above board, if nothing else. I don't think they're cancelling the tests because they're dangerous as such, more so that they are moving all public sector workers from 'non essential' work to the HSE/Social Welfare to man those areas instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Northern Ireland has suspended tests until 22nd June

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

All tests cancelled until 19th April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I guess I should give up on any hope of doing my test before the summer's out :( cancelled the week before and countless hours of practice wasted

• Advertisement

I guess I should give up on any hope of doing my test before the summer's out :( cancelled the week before and countless hours of practice wasted

It’s unfortunate but unavoidable. People who had tests cancelled will be given priority when they resume.

It’s unfortunate but unavoidable. People who had tests cancelled will be given priority when they resume.

Hopefully, I've put myself on the cancellation list too so I'm hoping it's all processed quickly. The main thing I'm worried about is if I were to fail the first time around, would I be waiting an abnormally long time for another test and put to the back of the line? My instructor expected me to pass first time, but now the pressure of everything feels enormous.

Having to drive accompanied means hundreds of euro on insurance is going to waste since I made the plunge and bought my own car :/ I would love to wake up tomorrow and see this situation end, but it feels like it's going to be many many months

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know when the NDLS centres are open again? Besides the outdated info on the website that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone know when the NDLS centres are open again? Besides the outdated info on the website that is...

They will be closed until the government restrictions are lifted.

If you need to renew your licence you can do so by post, or online if you have a myGovID account.

LorelaiG wrote: »

If you need to renew your licence you can do so by post, or online if you have a myGovID account.

Is there a way of setting up a MyGovID account at any stage before the restrictions are lifted? I can't seem to book an appointment online. The NDLS need to introduce a way for drivers on their third or subsequent permit to renew as too.

There's a real lack of clarity from the RSA atm and still no formal announcement on the extension of licenses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is there a way of setting up a MyGovID account at any stage before the restrictions are lifted? I can't seem to book an appointment online. The NDLS need to introduce a way for drivers on their third or subsequent permit to renew as too.

There's a real lack of clarity from the RSA atm and still no formal announcement on the extension of licenses

Right on the NDLS website front page I found this:
    https://ndls.ie/images/FAQ_on_NDLS_closure_due_to_Covid_19_V3.pdf

It says that they plan to have found a way for everyone to renew their permit/licence by May. The FAQs cover everything.
    What was it you wanted to know that’s not in there?

Of course I have read the FAQ. See question 1 in the FAQs - Shane Ross will extend the period of validity of the driver licence/learner permit and further detail on this will be available in the coming days. Unless it comes today after an announcement of the extension of lockdown measures, the RSA have been holding off on a formal announcement for nearly two weeks now:-

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1247151148789882881

Also see here

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0330/1127427-nct-certs-restrictions/

- "Full details are due to be announced later this week." Yet no further details have been provided..

As far as I can tell, it will not be possible to renew my Learner Permit unless I have a MyGovID verified account. At the moment, it is not possible to verify a MyGovID account as it requires a Public Services Card. In order to obtain a PSC you need to have a face-to-face appointment which is not possible at this moment and time:

https://gyazo.com/c2980aa6f7783b754d7289f8ebc7a1d1

I'm just concerned that if the measures are lifted and driving tests resume whether my Learner Permit will still be recognised. As annoying and unfair as it is, I'd rather pay the 35e for peace of mind that my test won't be delayed further when testing resumes. I have also yet to contact my insurance company on whether they will recognise the extension of driving licenses but I'm holding off until a further announcement is made and further details provided.

Of course I have read the FAQ. See question 1 in the FAQs - Shane Ross will extend the period of validity of the driver licence/learner permit and further detail on this will be available in the coming days. Unless it comes today after an announcement of the extension of lockdown measures, the RSA have been holding off on a formal announcement for nearly two weeks now:-

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1247151148789882881

Also see here

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0330/1127427-nct-certs-restrictions/

- "Full details are due to be announced later this week." Yet no further details have been provided..

As far as I can tell, it will not be possible to renew my Learner Permit unless I have a MyGovID verified account. At the moment, it is not possible to verify a MyGovID account as it requires a Public Services Card. In order to obtain a PSC you need to have a face-to-face appointment which is not possible at this moment and time:

https://gyazo.com/c2980aa6f7783b754d7289f8ebc7a1d1

I'm just concerned that if the measures are lifted and driving tests resume whether my Learner Permit will still be recognised. As annoying and unfair as it is, I'd rather pay the 35e for peace of mind that my test won't be delayed further when testing resumes. I have also yet to contact my insurance company on whether they will recognise the extension of driving licenses but I'm holding off until a further announcement is made and further details provided.

Contact your local TD and ask them to push it. My local TD is pretty proactive.

Contact your local TD and ask them to push it. My local TD is pretty proactive.

Good call, any correspondence I've had with the RSA has been met with the same generic copy and paste responses so if anything it could be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

LorelaiG wrote: »

My problem is I need to convert a pass certificate into a full driving licence, dont see that mentioned anywhere. Plenty of time left on the certificate but no way to convert it from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ADowling

What’s the likelihood of tests operating again next week (June 29th) ? I’m in desperate need of a car and finally found one I’ve wanted at a really decent price, but I’m worried I’ll buy it and won’t get my test for ages. Mine was cancelled due to Covid so I’m hoping I’ll be allocated a date quickly when they resume, but the added pressure of passing this time round in order to avoid the backlog is making me stressed

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

ADowling wrote: »
    What’s the likelihood of tests operating again next week (June 29th) ? I’m in desperate need of a car and finally found one I’ve wanted at a really decent price, but I’m worried I’ll buy it and won’t get my test for ages. Mine was cancelled due to Covid so I’m hoping I’ll be allocated a date quickly when they resume, but the added pressure of passing this time round in order to avoid the backlog is making me stressed

Sorry to say that you wont be getting a car test next week. i would suggest that it might be another 5-6 weeks before any car tests are done . At that car tests will be at much reduced availability

Yes I thought it would be a long shot that they would open next week, but they keep promising to give updates that never come. I’m hoping that phase 4 (July 20th) will see them reopen, it’s the uncertainty around it all that’s so stressful. My test was due on the first of April which was about 2 -3 weeks after they cancelled tests so I should get one fairly quickly when they are back up and running... I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Yes I thought it would be a long shot that they would open next week, but they keep promising to give updates that never come. I’m hoping that phase 4 (July 20th) will see them reopen, it’s the uncertainty around it all that’s so stressful. My test was due on the first of April which was about 2 -3 weeks after they cancelled tests so I should get one fairly quickly when they are back up and running... I hope...

Try being a driving instructor right now. That's uncertainty

They are hoping to restart car tests within Stage 3 but it won’t be at the start of it. They’ll be much closer to Stage 4, 20th July I’d say.

SteveAdti wrote: »
    Try being a driving instructor right now. That's uncertainty

Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for them if they actually were working towards a solution. Every other business is making adjustments in order to get back to work, not hiding behind the 2m distance. It seems they're happy to continue being paid but not go into work.

I'm talking about RSA driving testers btw, not driving school instructors who are planning on getting back on July 20th,

Yeah, I'd have more sympathy for them if they actually were working towards a solution. Every other business is making adjustments in order to get back to work, not hiding behind the 2m distance. It seems they're happy to continue being paid but not go into work.

I'm talking about RSA driving testers btw, not driving school instructors who are planning on getting back on July 20th,

They are working towards a resumption of car tests which should happen within Stage 3 ie before 20th July

As for instructors, I’m planning on going back to work on Monday 29th with measures in place in accordance with the government’s Return to Work Safely Protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

They are working towards a resumption of car tests which should happen within Stage 3 ie before 20th July

As for instructors, I’m planning on going back to work on Monday 29th with measures in place in accordance with the government’s Return to Work Safely Protocol

Hi MascotDec85

Can I ask what your going to do differently when you go back to doing lessons compared to what you did before Covid19. Sorry I probably could have phrased that better.

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just want to let folks know, I've a motorcycle test on Monday 29th June

For those wondering

• Advertisement

Just want to let folks know, I've a motorcycle test on Monday 29th June

For those wondering

Yeah they’re starting with motorcycles, trucks and buses ! Cars won’t be until July probably. Best of luck !

Advertisement