Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert art practical...help me im confused and my teacher is out!!!

• 01-05-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok in desperate need of some things getting cleared up here, i would normally go to my teacher but shes out cause she went into labour early and there is no other art teacher in the school so i need your help.

Im doing the art craftwork paper and im doing the poster option. I have my idea out in my head and im making a moving part in the poster, a rotating windmill sail. Anyway i was just wondering if i could have the card cut out into the shape of the sail(no detail would be drawn on it, itd just be an x shape of card) before i go into the exam. Everyone in my class that ive asked said that they think it should be grand but im not one to take chances so what you guys think?

Also before our teacher left she recommended that if we had trouble drawing what we were doing on our poster that we should have the image on our prep sheet so that we could copy it directly and then before the end of the exam rip it off. Now id say it should work but would the examiner not look at our prep sheet first no??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

To answer your first question about the card- you can not bring in anything that will be used as part of your finished piece that has been prepared outside the exam room.

Second question - i see no problem with sticking the image on the prep. i don't even think that there would be a problem with leaving it in, but just to be safe, take it out anyway (use blue-tack to stick it on so you can easily take it off:D !!)

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing? I'm doing the poster for Positive Ageing Week 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Its a windmill for positive aging week 2007, sounds absolutly stupid i know but it fits the heading(in the way ive done it anyway) and its pretty easy.

Nerves are kicking in now........God damm why did my teacher have to get pregnant during my leaving cert year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rconway

you've gotta be careful about the prep sheet. i know you can be dropped down from an A to a B simply because your prep sheet is too like the finished poster. there HAS to be a clear progression of the idea. its gotta be rough work that leads up to the polished, finished piece. the examiners love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Done mine yesterday, chose to do a folder. Bit worried, turned out kind of 'simple'. Eugh. Ah well, have the drawing to go next week which will hopefully be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

rconway wrote:
    you've gotta be careful about the prep sheet. i know you can be dropped down from an A to a B simply because your prep sheet is too like the finished poster. there HAS to be a clear progression of the idea. its gotta be rough work that leads up to the polished, finished piece. the examiners love that

What are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

ya the topics were kinda obscure i thought this yr, doable like, but obcure!! im doing Holiday Destination: Space. the windmill idea sounds unique so go with that!!

Ok did my poster, turned out good and it turned out that i was allowed bring in a premade windmill sail outta card which saved me LOADS of time and it allowed me to get everything else in proportion to it.

My only complaint about my poster was that when the paint dried it looked like there wasnt enough variety in the greens in my mountains which pissed me off. O well no use crying over spilled milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

Have a question about his too, but instead of starting a new thread I'll just post here....

First, Patricide, were you able stick an image onto your prep and then just take it off at the end, did the examinor/supervisor not say anything?

Also for your prep, do your drawings have to be directly onto the single page or can you stick on a whole load of different drawings you did on other pages?

Any info is much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Spank wrote:
    Done mine yesterday, chose to do a folder. Bit worried, turned out kind of 'simple'. Eugh. Ah well, have the drawing to go next week which will hopefully be ok.

Did you have trouble with the time and making the folder? What option did you pick? I did the horror DVd one, had a right laugh making the inside of silicone which looked like skin. My uniform is completely ruined in paint from it.

Ok, examiner said absolutly nothing to me or noone else in our group who all had there images out in front of them, coulda been just a sound examiner but id say you should be ok just dont make it blatently obvious.

As for the prep, you can stick down drawngs you did from other pages, they also dont HAVE to be great quality as long as 50% or more of your actual sheet is your own drawings.

• Advertisement

Its pretty **** how you dont get marks for the prep work, I spent hours and hours on mine.

yea i know but if you mess up your poster and if they see from your prep work that your usually good they might mark you easier.

Still though farily easy for someone to trace prep work.

Yeah I seen loads of traced stuff on peoples when I was bursting away drawing in most of my classes right up to the day before the exam. Makes me kind of angry, I even asked my art teacher would the person correcting know I drew them and she assured me they would. So thats all I can do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 quacks

Thanks for that, much appreciated. One other thing:o Would you get docked marks for coppying directly from one or two of the drawings you did on your prep page or should the prep be bumbed down a little and have the pic on the actual piece far more developed???I'm doing the craft poster.
    Exam is tomorrow!:eek:
    Thanks again.

In my school people doing graphics people bring in things gridden up and ready to draw from. Do yee have to draw from your heads?

Have you not done a graphic design before?

Yea you get docked marks for development, your better off to have the image on your prep sheet and have somthing else on its other side, then when your done with your image flip it around and stick it down good. therefore you have an image and get docked no marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Agri_trust wrote:
    Did you have trouble with the time and making the folder? What option did you pick? I did the horror DVd one, had a right laugh making the inside of silicone which looked like skin. My uniform is completely ruined in paint from it.
    I picked the hairstyles one, was pretty comfortable timing, only spent about 10 minutes on my prelim though :/
    Agri_trust wrote:
    Yeah I seen loads of traced stuff on peoples when I was bursting away drawing in most of my classes right up to the day before the exam. Makes me kind of angry, I even asked my art teacher would the person correcting know I drew them and she assured me they would. So thats all I can do I suppose.
    Ah sure don't worry about it, you'll benefit when it comes to life drawing and still life, can't trace that can they?!

By the way is it true that you are not allowed stick anything onto your prelim, it has to all be drawings on an A2 page?

Spank wrote:

By the way is it true that you are not allowed stick anything onto your prelim, it has to all be drawings on an A2 page?

We were just told to do a really quick sketch with a bit of colour, I did mine in under 5 minutes and smeared colour on with my fingers. It was barely readable, ahah sher I presume we'll kinda find out next August.

Advertisement