Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bold puppy!

• 13-06-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭

Our 11 month old golden retriever puppy is getting bold. As in ignoring me when I call him back when he's off the lead, running away from me and having tantrums when I do get the lead back on him - ie biting at the lead and jumping up trying to snatch it from my hand.

Is this just to do with his age and a case of me reminding him that I'm the boss?

By showing him I'm boss I don't mean hitting him or anything! When he bites at the lead I tell him he's bold/leave it and stand on it so he doesn't have enough slack to jump up, fold my arms and turn away until he calms down. For his recall and other commands I've been practicing with him again and again and loads of praise when he gets it right. Of course when anyone we know comes by he does all his tricks giving the paw and rolling over etc and flashes his puppy eyes at them and they tell me he's so good and not bold at all! :rolleyes::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi tk123 with regard biting the lead when he doesnt want it on, try putting a few drops of lemon (we use the juice for pancakes) on the lead. We were told that from a dog trainer and it worked a treat.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks - I may try lime thou because he ignored my leave it the other day when there was a lime wedge in the park (lol) and promptly spit it out!! He tried to bite at the lead this morning but I quickly gave a look comand and he looked at me, got his treat and we walked on and no drama! :D If it happens again I'll try distracting him and see how we get on. I think it's just his age because his prey drive switched on over the weekend and he chased a bird around in circles like an eejit for ages :D

GAH! The saga continues :( He had his tantrum (biting at the lead, jumping up at it/me etc) beside the playground in the park the other day and it was full of kids! Does anyone know where I can get a Gentle Leader (not a Halti) in Dublin? I tried Pet Mania in Santry earlier but they only have Haltis. The trainer in his obidience class suggested trying the gentle leader for a few weeks...

Any ideas on the gentle leader guys? I know I could just order online but i'd prefer to try it on him for size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SophiaF

very sorry, but I don't know where to get one other than on-line, but I just wanted to say keep trying because they are very goog, much better than Halti's. Not sure how much it will help for the 'tantrums' but they are get for general lead work.

Also your training sounds spot on for the jumping up and the recall.

The only thing I would change is to not use any command when his is 'having a tantrum'. Sounds to me like he is getting a little confused and may be misinterpruting you telling him off/giving a command with praise. The best thing to do would be carry on exactly as normal but keep silent, also avoid looking at him or touching him when he is playing up. Do this by folding your arms and turning away like you have been. Then as soon as he behaves use your voice to praise him and/or give him a treat.

Teach the commands for down and leave seperatly when he is calm and responsive, train them well before being tempted to use them when he is 'having a tantrum'.

hope all goes well.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I just ordered one on line there. I wasn't going to bother but he was biting at the lead again yesterday and this morning. He has sore legs and was a bit stiff so I cut his walk short so he wouldn't over do it and he wasn't impressed! Ignoring him today worked so i'll stick with it and wear him out with training etc so he's not bursting with energy out on a walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

if the gentle leader does not work out for you , i can recommend the dogmatic
    http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/
    I got the leather version for my mad goldie and it works wonders and the age is definitely a factor regarding his behaviour ,
    I have a year and a half golden and he went through this as well , I found treat training him great for getting him to come back to you ,
    if he does run off and eventually comes back never give out to him for coming back , always praise him when he does come back .

I think it's just his age and also frustration because we're not doing as much excercise as we used to - he's going to ucd in august to see what they think of his legs. I took him for a quick walk thru the park at lunchtime and he was delighted with himself and good as gold! I'm going to try him on the retractable lead this evening so he can have a little run around/swim and I won't have to worry about him being bold and running off! When he wants to be he's very good - always comes back when I call him etc so hopefully it's just a phase!

Update - I ordered the GL from petstuffgalore.co.uk at 13:55 this afternoon and have just gotten a mail to say it's been displatched! :eek::)

Advertisement