Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭KBurke85

As a Connacht fan I think I'd be happy enough with that.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and again conference A will be a lot more competitive than Conference B

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very odd way to determine the pools. Three of the four semi finalists including the two finalists in the same pool due to it being based on points and not the actual outcome of the tournament.

Not as badly lopsided as last season but not far off. Very much set up for a Leinster vs Munster final even this far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

Quinlan mentioned on OTB that the final would be in Cardiff City Stadium next year. Though I haven't read about it anywhere else?

Nice to have it in Cardiff, a shame the Principality is too big for it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭phog

PMC83 wrote: »
    Quinlan mentioned on OTB that the final would be in Cardiff City Stadium next year. Though I haven't read about it anywhere else?

From WoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you were Benetton you'd have to fancy your chances of getting to the playoffs again this season, if they can keep up some semblance of the form they had last season, and unless the Scarlets get their **** together a bit compared to last season, hard to see Munster not strolling that conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Edmc123

Does anybody know when the fixtures will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Edmc123 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the fixtures will be released?

It's normally well into July, it might be even later this year because of the late start to the season.

I think they wait until after the European draw and fixtures have come out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Demetri Catrakilis joining the Kings from Harlequins, been hampered pretty badly with injuries over the years but is probably the type of signing the Kings/Cheetahs should be targetting.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

excellent signing for them if he can stay fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2019/06/17/conferences-confirmed-for-2019-20-2020-21-guinness-pro14-seasons/

Conferences have now been confirmed. They are as posted at the beginning of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Great chance for Munster to finish top and avoid another away semi final in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2019%E2%80%9320_Pro14_transfers

The list of transfers for the Pro14 teams. Bear in mind this doesn't include players that left/retired during the 2018-19 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

They should have swapped Munster and Leinster to even up the conferences and keep Glasgow in a separate conference to Leinster.
    Ignoring the playoffs is a disappointment considering that they used them properly for ranking the teams for the Heineken Cup draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bit s*** for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭phog

They should have swapped Munster and Leinster to even up the conferences and keep Glasgow in a separate conference to Leinster.
    Ignoring the playoffs is a disappointment considering that they used them properly for ranking the teams for the Heineken Cup draw.

Why?

They ignored the playoff when they created the conferences when we changed from Pro12 to Pro14

I'd be sore about the conferences but I'm sure Leinster were aware at how the pools were going to be formed before they took the foot off the gas. It's a bit of a silly way to work it out but Leinster have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be sore about the conferences but I'm sure Leinster were aware at how the pools were going to be formed before they took the foot off the gas. It's a bit of a silly way to work it out but Leinster have nobody to blame but themselves.

The Pro14 swapped the Irish and Welsh seedings. Munster and Connacht were 1 & 4 two years ago when the original conferences were decided and were in A. Now they are again 1 & 4 but have moved to B.

As I said in another thread I think they did this to make sure that more than just Ospreys and Scarlets swapped conferences as would have been the case under the original seeding system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »

I'm still reasonably convinced Leinster will top the pool so I don't overly care.

• Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm still reasonably convinced Leinster will top the pool so I don't overly care.

I am absolutely convinced Leinster will stroll to the top of the conference again.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Why?

They ignored the playoff when they created the conferences when we changed from Pro12 to Pro14

The playoffs backed up the table results when the conferences were first devised so there were no issues and the conferences worked fairly well over the past two seasons.

However, sticking to the same system has made the conferences a bit uneven now.
    They have missed a good opportunity to use the results to seed the conferences more accurately.

Would have been a lot better to just seed the teams according to the strength of the clubs.

FWIW I think the following split would have made for two far more even conferences:

Conference A
    Leinster
    Munster
    Benetton
    Cardiff
    Edinburgh
    Dragons
    Kings

Conference B
    Glasgow
    Ulster
    Connacht
    Ospreys
    Scarlets
    Cheetahs
    Zebre

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne: Scotland scrum-half to leave Scarlets
    Anybody know why Sam Hidalgo-Clyne has fallen so far out of favour in recent years?
    He's now a free agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne: Scotland scrum-half to leave Scarlets
    Anybody know why Sam Hidalgo-Clyne has fallen so far out of favour in recent years?
    He's now a free agent.

His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his Edinburgh stay, once it was announced he was leaving it picked up as he was in the shop window.

I wonder will he sign back on at Quins?

In other Edinburgh news, seems to be a few whispers doing the rounds that Kwagga Smith is Embra bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

razorblunt wrote: »
    His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his Edinburgh stay, once it was announced he was leaving it picked up as he was in the shop window.

I wonder will he sign back on at Quins?

In other Edinburgh news, seems to be a few whispers doing the rounds that Kwagga Smith is Embra bound.

Good bit of business for Edinburgh there if true. Smith has been very impressive every time i’ve seen him, and wasn’t a million miles away from consideration for the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

3 month cover for the WC it seems unless he gets picked himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Hidalgo-Clynne to Racing an interesting move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

PMC83 wrote: »

Is that grass or plastic?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Hidalgo-Clynne to Racing an interesting move.

Only a short term move though. I'd say he's playing for his career at this point. If that goes badly, nobody is going to really want him and he'll end up taking a pretty crap contract somewhere.

I can't see him getting much game time though even with Machenaud at the RWC. Iribaren is the clear back up and a cut above SHC. Chauveau has left this summer though so he should be back up until the end of the RWC.

I saw he commented that he possibly wold have had to even decline a call up if Townsend named him as he had to give his club career priority (I assume he meant trying to rescue it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any word on broadcast rights for this and the Heineken?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any word on broadcast rights for this and the Heineken?

There's no change from last year.

Advertisement