Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 1930s Dail politicians

• 22-05-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi. I've an autograph book that my grandfather had signed by most (if not all) of the Irish cabinet in 1934. I'm trying to decipher some of the signatures, but it would help if I knew the names of those around the Dail during this time.

Can anyone help by providing a resource I can tap into?
    Many thanks
    Colum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hi. I've an autograph book that my grandfather had signed by most (if not all) of the Irish cabinet in 1934. I'm trying to decipher some of the signatures, but it would help if I knew the names of those around the Dail during this time.

Can anyone help by providing a resource I can tap into?
    Many thanks
    Colum
    Oireachtas.ie and check the dail debates under dail term and 1934 would fall under the 8th dail which started in 1933 so normally the cabinet is elected on the first sitting like the Taoiseach and ceann comhairle. So while the cabinet may have changed you'll have most of them.

Edit: I typed Taoiseach but the Taoiseach wasn't created until 1937.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Todd Andrews, Frank Aiken and Sean Lemass would be three.

Courtesy of wiki.

President of the Executive Council Eamon de Valera
    Minister for External Affairs
    Vice-President of the Executive Council Seán T. O'Kelly
    Minister for Local Government and Public Health
    Minister for Justice P. J. Ruttledge
    Minister for Industry and Commerce Seán Lemass
    Minister for Finance Seán MacEntee
    Minister for Agriculture James Ryan
    Minister for Defence Frank Aiken
    Minister for Education Thomas Derrig
    Minister for Lands and Fisheries Joseph Connolly
    Minister for Posts and Telegraphs Gerard Boland.

The dail debates from that time are fascinating to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ColumMcAndrew

Thank you so much. I'll take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Many of them may have signed the Irish/Gaelic version.

Thanks everyone. I have managed to decipher signatures of Eamon de Valeria, Frank Aiken, P J Ruttledge, Sean Lemass, Patrick Little, Edward Dawson, Margaret Pearse, Seamus MacCall, and Dan Breen.

Others that I've not been able to decipher (mainly because the handwriting hard to read) could be:
    Seamus O'Riam (?)
    Sean T O'Meallay (?)
    someone with the surname O'Congoile
    Proinsias o'Faraig

There are also two others that I can't even begin to decipher. It looks like these forums don't allow images. Is that correct? As it could be a useful way for you useful people to help.

Sean T O'Meallay (?),(O'Ceallaig)that may be Sean T O'Kelly.
    Seamus O'Riam (?), (O'Rian) that looks like James Ryan.
    Joseph Connolly ( O'Connaille)
    Proinsias o'Faraig (O'Fataig) Just a shot at the name Francis Fahy.
    My Irish spellings may not fully correct.
    You need 50 posts to put up pics, I think.

An alternative for;
    Sean T O'Meallay (?) is Sean O'Meallain, that's Sean Moylan from North Cork.
    But I don't think he was a Minister that early.

Thank you so much John. That's very helpful. I guess I'll have to post some more to get access to the insert picture option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Interesting aside re Joseph Connolly: originally from Belfast, he was the last government minister who wasn't a TD - while in office, he was a Senator.

Dr. Jim Dooge was appointed a Senator by Garrett Fitzgerald and then made a Minister in the 1980s, never elected to public office.
    I think that's the only one since the 1937 Constitution, your's may be the only one prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Water John wrote: »
    Dr. Jim Dooge was appointed a Senator by Garrett Fitzgerald and then made a Minister in the 1980s, never elected to public office.
    I think that's the only one since the 1937 Constitution, your's may be the only one prior to it.

I stand corrected.

Advertisement