Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System 10 Weight Loss

• 19-10-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any idea of what this is? I am particularly interested in the 'measuring your metabolism' bit, how is this possible ?

http://www.system10weightloss.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It just looks like a assessment, nutritionist plan, exercise plan. Pretty standard stuff. They aren't going to discover some secret thats holding you back.
    Measuring metabolism is pretty simple. A quick test measures actual BMR. It might even be an estimation based on weight, food activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

I know someone who followed it and got decent results for a couple of months. Ultimately though, that's all she did it for. They effectively lay out your menu every single day, and there isn't much deviation from that. (from what I remember).

I do remember not thinking too much of the exercise plan though...all based around swiss balls from home. I guess it depends on what level of 'buy in' you're going to have, your level of fitness and if you're the type of person that can work off that sort of strict menu.

Of course this was also about 5years ago, so some of that may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

My Mrs did it about 5 years ago. She tried everything else i.e. Weight watchers , curves etc. Nothing else worked only this. She lost 35kgs and went from a size 20 to a size 8 and has never looked back and never put the weight back on.

But fcuk me she worked hard at it and still does. She mainly walks now and does about 10klms on the treadmill everyday.

Hope this helps.

Also at the start they get you to fill in what you would normally eat in a day etc and they go from there with your metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

ambman wrote: »
    My Mrs did it about 5 years ago. She tried everything else i.e. Weight watchers , curves etc. Nothing else worked only this. She lost 35kgs and went from a size 20 to a size 8 and has never looked back and never put the weight back on.

But fcuk me she worked hard at it and still does. She mainly walks now and does about 10klms on the treadmill everyday.

Hope this helps.

Also at the start they get you to fill in what you would normally eat in a day etc and they go from there with your metabolism.
    so what you are saying is that in all the other methods she was really just faffing about and then it was the consistent hard work that was the key.

ANY system will work to a degree so long as its done with lazer like focus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Mellor wrote: »
    A quick test measures actual BMR.

Really ? what's the test ? I know the calculations alright but they are more estimate. I imagine someone actual BMR could be running significantly slower or higher based on overall health no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Really ? what's the test ? I know the calculations alright but they are more estimate. I imagine someone actual BMR could be running significantly slower or higher based on overall health no ?
    jasus dude who cares - train more, eat better. Its just a marketing tool to make you think you are getting some special extra bonus feature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Transform wrote: »
    jasus dude who cares - train more, eat better. Its just a marketing tool to make you think you are getting some special extra bonus feature

Yep.

I got so fed up getting email from them over the years trying to get me to sell that 'system'.
    Junk Mail ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

so what you are saying is that in all the other methods she was really just faffing about and then it was the consistent hard work that was the key.

I completly understand where your coming from ultimatly it takes the individuals commitment and focus and determination for any weight loss plan to work. But in my opinion you are like so many others missing the big picture. We all know that to lose weight you need to take in less calories than you use up. And put like that it sounds so simple but unfortunatly its not. The eat less be more active idealogy does not take into account why people overeat and for a lot of people, myself included, my eating is controlled largely by my emotions. Why this is I have no idea I wish I knew but doubt I ever will. I have a great life fantastic husband and family lovely job no big money worries the only major issue I have is controlling my emotional eating! I eat if I am happy, sad, celebrating, bored angry, you get the idea. Just like breaking any habit that is bad or has became addictive there is no one size fits all approach. Lots of people beat their different demons be it smoking, drinking, gambeling, anger issues by using different approaches there is no "one size fits all" for any of lifes problems and weight loss should be no different. Sure weight watchers and the like fail long term for more people than they do actually work for, but so does alcoholics anonomous and similar help groups. But for some people these weightloss plans do work something about their way just clicks and they go on to achieve their ideal weight. I really think its unfair that people are so ready to dismiss them so easily. Don't get me wrong I know that the main objective of the majority of these weightloss companies is to make a large profit. In an ideal world none of us would need any help for the multitude of problems that can effect human kind, we would all be able to take a "I will beat this myself" attitude and manage any problems we have. A little understanding of an individuals problems would go a long way towards helping them and less critisim when someone does achieve their goal in a way you don't think was correct would go a long way.
    I have had my say and I am not interested in continuing to argue the point I just wanted to try and present a different opinion from someone who knows what a healthy diet is, takes regular exercise, eats well for all meals which are largely homecooked, knows what is required to lose weight but who suffers from triggers caused by my emotions which sends me off to the snack cupboard and can end up undoing days of a healthy eating approach in a 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Transform I know you mean well, but sometimes the language you use is just so off-putting for lurkers and casual readers. I don't want to adopt a hand-holding approach by any means, but I'm quite sure that people who are trying these other methods don't believe they're "faffing about" at all.

ambman, a massive fair fcuking play to your Mrs, frankly I couldn't give a hoot what did or didn't work for her in the past, but to drop seven dress sizes is nothing short of phenomenal, and even bigger fair play to her for keeping it off - that's the really hard part.

System10 is just another generic weightloss system, I just wanted to highlight this lady's achievements without any kind of put-downs attached to it.

Emotional eating my arse. We are all addicted to food.
    As an ex fattie, I can assure you there is will power and there is no will power.
    It's up to the individual. Period.
    You can obfuscate the issue as much as you want but ultimately, for the overwhelming vast majority of folks, it is up to the will power to control bodyshape.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »

I'd rather not emotionally eat your arse but to be quite honest, it's a very real thing. What matters is someone's willingness to address it. Of course if someone recognises it and does nothing to try and change it and/ or uses it as a crutch then my sympathy dries up pretty fast.

I've a nice bum now g'em. Except for the stretch marks...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

g'em wrote: »
    Transform I know you mean well, but sometimes the language you use is just so off-putting for lurkers and casual readers. I don't want to adopt a hand-holding approach by any means, but I'm quite sure that people who are trying these other methods don't believe they're "faffing about" at all.

ambman, a massive fair fcuking play to your Mrs, frankly I couldn't give a hoot what did or didn't work for her in the past, but to drop seven dress sizes is nothing short of phenomenal, and even bigger fair play to her for keeping it off - that's the really hard part.

System10 is just another generic weightloss system, I just wanted to highlight this lady's achievements without any kind of put-downs attached to it.
    I actually intended to start off my post with congrats to ambmans wife too! Fair play to her she did really well and at the end of the day it was all her own hard work that paid off.
    Zamboni wrote: »
    As an ex fattie, I can assure you there is will power and there is no will power.
    It's up to the individual. Period.
    You can obfuscate the issue as much as you want but ultimately, for the overwhelming vast majority of folks, it is up to the will power to control bodyshape.
    You have presumbed that I am still overweight have'nt you? I am at a weight I am happy with and look good at I have acheived this through will power, I am definetly not addicted to food just because you are does'nt mean everyone who has weight issues is. As I stated I am an emotional eater 90% of the time I am fine but food will be my crutch when times are tough. Other people will somke/drink when they are stressed/happy, so what makes it so unbelievable that I and others use food in these occasions. I don't presume to know what works for others I can only speak for myself you should try this instead of making sweeping statements. Over and out:)

No doubt you do!! Ah I know where you're coming from, emotional eating is used as an excuse only too often, but there's an incredibly strong psychological tie between stress and food, so I don't like writing it off straight away. It's the duration that someone uses it to excuse shitty eating habits that's the problem imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

http://www.systemsixeasyfatloss.com/

I wonder is this 4 easier or is the other one 4 more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

! I eat if I am happy, sad, celebrating, bored angry, you get the idea.

I mean no disrespect to those who rely on food to comfort them during times of stress or sadness.

But to say that you eat when happy, sad, celebrating, bored etc etc makes it look like your emotions have nothing to do with it.

If you eat the same during all emotional states, then that would suggest that variation in your emotions is not having an affect on your eating habits.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this, I'm just following logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,993 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RobAMerc wrote: »
    It's just a BMR test.
    And true you might be running +/- 100 cals.

But its not much use for an individual.

Your activity expenditure is estimated, your intake is estimated. Having a super acurate BMR is now lost in the estimates.

Eat well, train hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

haha - A man after my own heart !

I have no intention of going to System10 - I am not looking for a thumbs up or down on it.

I think people are missing the point of my original post. The system claims a way of measuring someone's BMR as opposed to estimating it.
    I was looking for an explanation if someone had it as to how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Look into Body Bugg or Media Fit - things that monitor your heart rate and give a quite precise estimation of TEE - people seem to be happy with it.

You have to wear it 23.5 hours a day (except in the shower)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nina82

Hi there,

I have done the system 10 plan twice!!! first time i lost a stone and second time lost 6lbs! I done it twice because I convinced myself it was the only way I could lose the weight but I now see it from a different point of view!! EVERYTHING has to be weighed, you have to eat at certain times of the day and the food is boring!!! A year later I am still exercising and watching what I eat and have kept the 20lbs off and I have done all this by myself!!! These diets are marketed towards women who are absolutely desperate to lose excess weight and is seen as the only way you can do it!!! You need to work very hard week in, week out but this can be done without shelling out 200 euro!! Anybody can lose weight if they work hard enough! Eat smaller portions often, cut out salty and sugary snacks, try not to eat processed foods and eat fresh produce and still enjoy a little of what you like once a week or you will give up!! Believe me!! 12 months later and I have not regained any of the weight I lost!!! Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement