Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irritating new words

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: Hi folks, just a gentle reminder to look at the title of the thread - we are looking for 'irritating new words' - which could include existing words given a new use - like 'woke' - or entirely new inventions. Malapropisms and egghorns are entertaining but not really on topic for this thread. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Here's an irritating new word then ; "Bootilicious" or maybe "Bodacious", another is "Chillax". Nouns which have been turned into verbs, eg. "tasked with" , "concerning" in the sense of worrying, or a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Embiggen

That's a perfectly chromulent word.

The recent proliferation of "staycation" everywhere has started to bite me hard, and I'm starting bristle when I hear it.

Also the use of "addicting" rather than "addictive".

Oh and one that made me properly twitch, "preciseness". The irony wasn't good enough to stop me making an audible groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I have noticed recently that some new, and to my mind , irritating, words are becoming increasingly prevalent,. Two examples ---- "get-go" instead of start, and "uptick" instead of increase. I have seen and heard these used on mainstream media now. I cringe when I hear them. :(

uptick has been on the go for around 15 years,maybe it just took that long to find its way into more mainstream or common usage, first I heard was in relation to an increase in insurgent attacks in Iraq around 2005, I was in a multinational then and within a few months I heard it being used commonly, but they were already fairly heavy on the corporate bull$hit lingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Here's an irritating new word then ; "Bootilicious" or maybe "Bodacious", another is "Chillax". Nouns which have been turned into verbs, eg. "tasked with" , "concerning" in the sense of worrying, or a cause for concern.

These are the new words that annoy me. Most of them seem to come from American sports reporters/commentators but have been integrated into British sport now. A good example is: To win a medal ----> to medal, e.g she medalled at the last Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Cosplay.. now there is one irritating word

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Former Coach

‘Would of’ rather than ‘would have’......

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Yeah-no. (With apologies to RO'CK.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

An IT specific one that drives me nuts is "build out".
    e.g. as soon as we get approval to go ahead we can start building out the API.

WTH is wrong with just saying build, code, or write ?

American sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,871 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Intersectionalist.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Staycation.... because people are too Fu***** lazy to say "I'm spending my holiday in Ireland"

The recent proliferation of "staycation" everywhere has started to bite me hard, and I'm starting bristle when I hear it.

Also the use of "addicting" rather than "addictive".

Oh and one that made me properly twitch, "preciseness". The irony wasn't good enough to stop me making an audible groan.
    Staycation.... because people are too Fu***** lazy to say "I'm spending my holiday in Ireland"

Amen brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭I see sheep

'Cohort' is used very ofter now and I find it irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Booty.
    It’s always arse in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Duckjob wrote: »
    An IT specific one that drives me nuts is "build out".
    e.g. as soon as we get approval to go ahead we can start building out the API.

WTH is wrong with just saying build, code, or write ?

American sh*te.

So many **** terms in IT now, We've a rake of consultants in at the moment, and they're hilarious.

"On-board"

"Socialize"

"Orchestration"

"Go on a journey"

We had one genius today actually come out with the terrm "See to the horizion and then beyond that" I had to bite my tongue

..just north of...'

Nothing is ever 'just over' or 'just above' anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Other nouns to verbs:
    "headquartered" as in "Company X is headquartered in Dublin."
    I've heard "officed" also.

"Reaching out" is gaining popularity. In place of "contacted/emailed/phoned".
    I've been hearing it on RTE radio1 recently.
    It has its place when referring to canvassing a community I suppose but not when it means emailing an individual.

Once again .. bloody americanisms!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Even though not strictly new words, I find the new usage of "conversation" rather than debate or discussion, and "journey" referring to a life event etc, rather irritating. Also why does everything have to be "absolutely amazing" ? .I was watching a TV soap, and the boss said to her employee "would you like to take your lunch break early? " "that would be amazing" she replied.

Banter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KaneToad wrote: »
    Hoisted by his own leotard.

I'd like to see that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

FaceTime

Even though not strictly new words, I find the new usage of "conversation" rather than debate or discussion.

That reminds me of 'narrative'...annoys me no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

Takeaway

I've used it once or twice for the crack , dunno how prevalent it's getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I hope you don't mean the perfectly acceptable take-away food.
    Now being replaced by take-out and to-go.

You mean takeaway as in conclusion or implication I suppose.
    Which reminds me of the awful "a big ask".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Cis this and cis that.

Advertisement