Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights gyms in Athlone

• 24-05-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Guys, I'm moving to Athlone next week and would appreciate some advice on the best free weights gyms in the town. I do some powerlifting and so require a squatting rack, bench press, deadlift platform/area, olympic bars etc.

john999
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

can only really advise you on the gyms I've been in, the Athlone Regional Sports has a pretty good gym and weights section. I'm sure they'll let you look around if you want. It's on the ballymahon road, also the swimming pool is located in the same building, not too hard to find.

Use the AIT gym during term myself, the weight section is ok looking (don't use free weights myself yet) but the area is kinda cramped, would be ok during the summer, but not during term.

Haven't been in any of the other gyms around town, i'm sure others could fill you in. There's a gym in most of the hotels (raddison, hudson bay, sheraton etc..), also there's one in the Leisure Center on Grace Road. No harm looking around yourself if you don't get any solid replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 john999

Thanks BoB. I'll have a look in the Regional Sports Centre tomorrow evening and take it from there.

john999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

try the rugby club

they'll have proper powerlifting equipment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    try the rugby club

they'll have proper powerlifting equipment

They use the AIT gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

AIT is probably the best but its pretty busy and small, also rugby players tend to hog squat and bench in groups(this might have changed I stopped using AIT gym a few years ago.

The Athlone Springs is meant to have a pretty good set up but I am not too sure if they have olympic bars/squat rack etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement