Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage

• 19-09-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I've just had this Saturday a miscarriage, after 6 weeks of pregnancy, it was really hard for me!!!, It was very painful, from the beginning I felt that something wrong happening for me, I had a strange pain in my left side of the uterus, and it's getting worse by this Friday ( 6 weeks), severe cramps which occured suddenly and went after a while

On saturday morning found some trace of blood, went directly to the emergency, stayed there more than 3hours waiting, because there was just one doctor at this hospital "Rotunda" " bad experience of my life", during this time, the pain got worse and worse like I'm going to deliver, and I was bleeding a lot, they've used internal scan, and told me that there is nothing inside my Uterus, then they took my blood, and told to come back this monday to give them other, in order to confirm the miscarriage, ectopic or relevant pregnancy "Iwas very surprised, they let me go like that":confused::mad:

after coming back to my home, "was sick", and felt smthing comes out from me, than I was sure that I've lost my baby.

The Problem now is, this tuesday, they called me to confirm the miscarriage, just that, and when asked them what should i do now, do I need a follow up, specially I have RH (-) and my husband RH(+), and there are a lot of risk for the next pregnancies, they replied that they do nothing until the 12 weeks for the next pregnancy!!!!!!!!! Is it logical????:confused::confused:

As I know, directlely after deliver or miscarriage they give an anti-D after no more than 72hours for someone in my situation RH(-).

Please help, if someone know how does it work in such cases, what should I do, I'm lost and confused!!!! and if someone was in the same situation" what did you do"??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Oh you poor thing, I don't really know what to say, I hope someone can give you some proper information and advice but I don't think you were treated well at all. The entire experience sounded appauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Hi Estelle01,

Firstly i am so sorry about your miscarraige. It is a terrible thing to have to go through. I am also RH(-) and had a natural miscarraige 3 years ago baby passed
    around seven or eight weeks i didn't know until about week eleven. I also expected to get the anti d but i was told that they dont give it until 12 weeks in this country. I know they give it in America. When i was pregnant after the miscarraige the hospital took alot of blood and my blood was monitored carefully. I would speak to your doctor about it just so he/she can reassure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

So very sorry for your loss. Go to your GP as soon as possible and ask them all the questions you have. Good Luck. x x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm so sorry for your loss x

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Estelle01

Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying and thanks a lot for your words and advice, It's too kind from all of you!!
    I want just to add something about the GP, When I discovered by the urine test that I'm pregnant, I went to the GP, being worried by the fact that I had at this period strange pain, like I will have my period and cramps in the left side of the uterus which is anormal because I have just 5 weeks, the GP didn't ask me to do any further test until 8 weeks, and told me that the pain was normal which obviously wasn't as it was a sign of the start of the miscarriage . I thought that She should have done an early scan to diagnose my problem, but unfortunately it wasn't the case.

@Elaney: how long did you wait after your miscarriage to try for a new baby? i was told by rotunda that i can try after my next period, but on the internet, also in other countries, they advise to wait for a couple of months. What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately in these situations there's nothing much the hospital can do but send you home. They will bring you back to make sure you have passed everything from the pregnancy and if you haven't will organise something called a Dilation & Curretage (or D&C) to clear out your womb.

If you have more than 3 miscarriages (and that doesn't have to be 3 in a row, you could have 1 and then a baby and then two more) then you can be investigated further to see if there is a reason you are miscarrying.

In Ireland the Anti D injection is not administered until the 12th week of pregnancy.

If you feel you have been mistreated you can make a complaint directly to the hospital complaints department. Speak to your GP if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Estelle01

January wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately in these situations there's nothing much the hospital can do but send you home. They will bring you back to make sure you have passed everything from the pregnancy and if you haven't will organise something called a Dilation & Curretage (or D&C) to clear out your womb.

If you have more than 3 miscarriages (and that doesn't have to be 3 in a row, you could have 1 and then a baby and then two more) then you can be investigated further to see if there is a reason you are miscarrying.

In Ireland the Anti D injection is not administered until the 12th week of pregnancy.

If you feel you have been mistreated you can make a complaint directly to the hospital complaints department. Speak to your GP if you have any other questions.

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, the hospital didn't ask me to come back, they just said that I should do the urine test again in 2 weeks in order to make sure that I'm no longer pregnant. Should I call them and ask them to check with me if I passed everything from the pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I tried again after my period and got pregnant straight away he is 2 now and i am also due number 2 next week so don't give up hope. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I miscarried on June 9th 1992 at 9 weeks and on June 5th 1993 had my darling son. My GP told us to wait until after my first period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

So sorry for your loss OP. its such a sad thing to go through.

I had a miscarriage 2 years ago. It was at 11 weeks, but baby didn't survive passed 6 weeks. And I was in Holles street.

It seems to be the same thing across the board. When the loss happens in early pregnancy they pat you on the head and send you on your way. You're right its crap. There maybe nothing they can do but to just pass over you like that when you have so many questions isn't right. Regardless of your (valid) anti d questions, you had a baby for 6 weeks and while they may consider it early pregnancy, to you that's a month of plans and excitement and then bam its all gone.

A little more consideration and attention would have been nice I bet. Take care of yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Estelle01 wrote: »

Actually, the hospital didn't ask me to come back, they just said that I should do the urine test again in 2 weeks in order to make sure that I'm no longer pregnant. Should I call them and ask them to check with me if I passed everything from the pregnancy?

That's what the pregnancy test is for in two weeks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Estelle01 wrote: »

They done an internal scan and said nothing was visable, therefore there is no need to go back to them,

After 2 weeks, your hormone levels should have drop to not pregnant, if after two weeks you are still getting positive tests, you will need to go back for a further internal examinatation to check for a molar pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nesswill

Hi estelle
    Just want to say so sorry for your loss.. can't give advice re rhesus but can tell you i've been where you are now..Had a dd in 07 and went on to get pregnant again in 09 but lost that pregnancy at 5-6 weeks. It was a complete miscarriage and i didn't need any follow up appointments..Midife advised me to wait for two periods before trying again. Anyway i decided against that as i felt it was very early in pregnancy and it was a complete mc so i decided to leave nature take its course and thankfully i became pregnant again before i had any period. That pregnancy was great and had a perfect healthy dd again i had conceived her two weeks after mc so in essence my mc was a bit like a period..Roll on april of this year got my positive preg test and a week later had that familiar feeling and then began to bleed, wasn't even going to go to maternity hospital because i knew what i was going through but decided in the end to make sure my hcg had dropped.. Midwife this time didn't tell me one way or the other what to do re conceiving again and i didn't ask so off i went and once again let nature take its course and luckily got preg again immediately and now have 7 weeks left to due date.. when you lose a pregnancy that early and your body does all the work itself i really feel as long as you are emotionally ready you should go for it.. Doctors like you to wait for a number of reasons but one of them is being able to date the pregnancy.. I had early scans after suffering both mc's so it didn't matter..Don't get me wrong It wasn't all easy for me i think once a woman suffers any loss we become very paranoid and as i used to call it on knicker watch but i constantly told myself that there was a reason why i lost two babies so early on it was my bodys way of saying these pregnancys aren't healthy so that i was grateful for i suppose.. Best of luck whatever you decide to do just thought i'd share with what i've experienced..Heres to a happy and healthy preg for you in the very near future...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tabris6ie

not sure about the RH thing. my sister is rhesus negative but no injection with miscarriage. sorry you were treated so badly though. i miscarried yesterday after being diagnosed with a missed miscarriage the day before, baby died a few weeks ago apparently. the last thing anyone needs is to be treated like it doesnt matter. holles st have been lovely so far and i do have to go back for a scan in a week to make sure i've passed everything to lessen the risk of infection so if you're not sure, get onto them and dont take no for an answer.

Advertisement