Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Father Ted

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

briany wrote: »
    That's probably one of my least favorite episodes but I still love it because it's great and chock full of funny. Least favorite still equals top drawer as far as I'm concerned in relation to Ted.

I'll always love this quote best.

"The Chinese - A great bunch of lads!"

It just sums up the humour, the tone of the series so perfectly. It's really true what Arthur Matthews said, that the program captured a type of Irish humour that you hardly, if ever, see on TV.

yes , the general eejidtry

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

Usually if I see the same episode of a comedy show a few times I don't laugh or at least not as much as I did when I first saw the episode... Fr. Ted is the exception :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Skyrim wrote: »
    Dougal is asked to give the last rites and he just quotes off a list of italian football players. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Can anyone help me ? In which episode did Father Jack dream he was on a boat with models in bikinis?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can anyone help me ? In which episode did Father Jack dream he was on a boat with models in bikinis?

S02E01
    Wasnt a dream. He rolled off the cliffs and was pulled aboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

That's the one. Thanks horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I'm a huge fan of Father Ted & this one question has bothered me for years:

In the Christmas Special, Pat O'Mahony (of "Head to Toe" Fame) is credited as appearing in the episode as "Award Ceremony Priest" I have watched the episode at least 40 times and have never managed to spot him.

Here is a pic of Pat O'Mahony for those of you who are unfamiliar with him:
    POM_0047-7x5-428x600.jpg

Please help as this has wrecked my head for years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I love the one where Brendan Grace guest stars!

"If you ever say that to me again....I'll put your head through the waaaall!":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C4 had a Ted night yesterday with two behind the scenes programmes. I'm assuming both were repeats, enjoyable as I'd not seen either before.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mike65 wrote: »
    C4 had a Ted night yesterday with two behind the scenes programmes. I'm assuming both were repeats, enjoyable as I'd not seen either before.

The doc where they go back to the house is absolutely brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

The doc where they go back to the house is absolutely brilliant

any1 got a youtube link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nooooo, can't believe I missed that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

1st was new I think, second is a year or two old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Posy wrote: »
    Nooooo, can't believe I missed that!!

They will probably be on 4OD in the next week or two, Ist one was the best insight into the characters and inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They are on 4od, I watched them on it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've watched every episode so many times and quote it pretty much daily, I'd say! There are just so many good lines. I think it's a great example of how Irish people don't take ourselves or religion too seriously. For that reason, I think it shows us in a good light. However, I do think it's a very specific Irish humour. It has a lot of jokes that are specifically about the Catholic Church and priesthood in Ireland (the priest that everyone thinks is in the closet, one child becoming a doctor and the other becoming a priest, the priest who may be a pervert, etc.), and the ideas of the local lunatic (Tom) or the couple that pretend to be happily married to save face (John and Mary). Myself and my friends showed it to a couple of American people and I don't think they got it at all. I just don't think they got all the references to Catholicism or found it as funny because they didn't realise how big a deal Catholicism was in Ireland (and continues to be for some people). I think British people get it more, given we're such close neighbours and have relatively similar cultures.

A fantastic show though all the same. One of my favourites. I like the episode with the Cuban and Len Brennan's son.

'How's the son?' - Got to be one of the most perfectly timed comedy lines ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's on RTE two now - the Holiday one! Classic!

Fr. Noel: "Where's Tony Lynch off to??? Probably to get some heroin!!":D

"Who's a bit of a moooaning Michael tonight???!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No matter how many times I see it, it's the attention to bizarre little details - the "fecking Greeks" woman has the most Irish looking plastic bags I've ever seen in my life, they might as well say "HEATONS" on them or something

:D:D:D

Favourite non-priests were John and Mary and I don't think they were used nearly often enough.

The episode I used to not like so much but is now probably my favourite is that of ol' Father Stone.

50493_94837756641_3707878_n.jpg

Ted: "He introduced me to Fr. Stone...and just....ran away."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

leahyl wrote: »
    It's on RTE two now - the Holiday one! Classic!

Fr. Noel: "Where's Tony Lynch off to??? Probably to get some heroin!!":D

"Who's a bit of a moooaning Michael tonight???!"

God, he never left Tony alone. The later episode where Ted happen upon Noel and the St. Luke's youth group lost in the cave complex is equally funny.

Noel talking about eating Tony in order to survive and Tony finally snapping and roaring at him to shut up leaving Noel totally shocked and offended.

Noel to Tony : " I'm putting you down on my list of enemies. *Opens up small note book and starts scribbling furiously in it while giving Tony the evil eye, Tony looks worried.* That's it. You're in for it now, Tony!.............HAA!! Look what I've really written!!! *Turns notebook around to show what he's written - I REALLY LIKE TONY!!!* "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Is there anywhere online I can see the documentary that ye are talking about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I have to say i never get sick of watching Father Ted. Knowing RTE they are going to keep showing it for the next few years anyways! Ah go on go on go on...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

"Ted says you were touching him"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Father Ted is IMO the greatest thing that has ever been filmed.

Nothing smug or self indulgent or trendy or pretentious about it. It just wants to cram as many laughs as possible into an episode through whatever means possible. We will never see the likes of it again

More 4 are re-showing Ted from the start tonight with first two episodes at 10pm/11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yup. Love how they showed the final two episodes last week, then rewound straight back to the beginning. Can't have enough of a good thing :)

To be honest they could have dropped the boring priest episode, the opener was a hoot (again!)

Advertisement