Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped up my polling card. Not voting

• 21-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

For the first time since I turned 18 I will not be voting.

I refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein. Watched the frontline and having heard independents was last straw. No vote from me.

Anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

Sure, but at the end of the day there are other options out there, even if the Irish media only feeds you the usuals.

No excuse not to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If you change your mind you can still vote without the polling card by going to the polling station with photo ID.

However, it is perfectly fair and is your right not to vote and no one can say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein. Watched the frontline and having heard independents was last straw. No vote from me.

That is your right but it basically means you are putting the responsibility on others to choose the next government. .

As far as I am concerned if there is one thing more irresponsible then voting for a clown, its not voting at all. If healy Rae or another useless candidate gets in because people choose not to vote then the responsibility is just as much in your court as it is in those who voted them in. . Not just that, I presume you wont be on boards.ie moaning about the poor decisions our next government will invariably make on some issues.

At the very least, vote for the candidate who represents your principles and beliefs most.

• Libya anyone?

Refusing to vote is a foolish thing to do.

True most people are going for fg and labour,what on earth is wrong with that option?
    If they don't do what they promise and they will get a chance from me,then I'll start to sigh.
    Contact me in 5 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I agree with the above if you don't bother to vote then you better not complain over the next 5 years about who is voted in.

We were saddled with 14 years of FF led Governments to disaster because a large proportion of this countries citizens were too lazy to vote. This is a privilege that was won with spilt blood in the early half of the 20th century in this country and a right that is being currently defended by those in North Africa right now.

As someone said you have between now and Friday to educate yourself on your options and to vote for whoever comes closest to your own opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I think we often forget what it means to have a vote. It's not so long ago that our ancestors fought and died for that privilege.

There's a lot of pain and blood invested in a voting card. The only thing worse than casting an ill considered vote is not casting one. That's one of the things that got us here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if their all that bad then surely you'd have done a better job if you'd bothered to run for election...

are you honestly saying that their wasn't even 1 candidate that was worth voting for...

in other countries they rebel and fight and wish they had the opportunity to vote - and this is what you do when you have democracy... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PulsW

If you don't have a party or person you want to give your vote to, why don't you vote in relation to who you really don't want to give your vote to.

You say that you "refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein", well if you refuse to vote, for example, Sinn Fein more than Fine Gael, then you could employ tactical voting so that your vote defiantly doesn't go to Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The only candidate in Ireland who will agree with you totally on every issue is yourself.
    Maybe have a go next time for the local elections in a few years

For now, the rest of your constituency will decide for you.
    There is no perfect candidate but they'll find the best they can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

The only candidate in Ireland who will agree with you totally on every issue is yourself.
    Maybe have a go next time for the local elections in a few years

For now, the rest of your constituency will decide for you.
    There is no perfect candidate but they'll find the best they can

What this fella said.

You have no right to complain about anything that happens under the incoming government now as you refused to even vote in the election and the rest of your constituency had their say

I mean, even vote for an independent that you share views with, don't just throw your vote away like...

• Advertisement

Just because he/she doesn't want to vote doesn't mean that he/she hasn't got a right to complain about issues.

Just because he/she doesn't want to vote doesn't mean that he/she hasn't got a right to complain about issues.

but if they chose not to have a say when it matters most, what is the point of them trying to have a say when it doesn't?

I'm ok with people not voting because they don't understand or haven't been sufficiently educated of the issues in question but imo people not voting because of some reason like "ahh they're all crooks if you ask me, no point in voting for anyone, hate the lot of them", it just comes across as a wee bit ignorant...

at the end of the day, it's the future of the country we're talking about, wouldn't kill anybody to try and have their say or they come across as a hypocrite if they give out about what the government does, as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I think voting should be compulsory with a none of the above option. It wouldnt make a difference but it would give us true figures of what peoples views are, it would also force people to make a decision if they were slightly unsure and were not too bothered about voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Indeed. For a whole host of reasons people choose not to exercise their ballot, as is their right. The OP clearly doesn't wish to commit his vote as he isn't convinced by the options presented to him, and can you blame him? All Irish political parties come with considerable baggage and the Indo's can be an eccentric bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

PulsW wrote: »
    If you don't have a party or person you want to give your vote to, why don't you vote in relation to who you really don't want to give your vote to.

You say that you "refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein", well if you refuse to vote, for example, Sinn Fein more than Fine Gael, then you could employ tactical voting so that your vote defiantly doesn't go to Sinn Fein.
    What a depressing post. Is this what people in this thread are saying our predecessors fought and died for? Is this what Arabs are being shot on the street for? For the privilege of listing a bunch of cretins in ascending order of how much we despise them?

I have a lot of sympathy for the OPs position. Its easy to say not voting is a waste, etc, etc, but democracy in this country has failed us.

Lets have a look at my choices here:

FF - Vermin.
    FG - Career politicians, cut from the same cloth as the above, whose main selling point seems to be "not as bad as FF". These will be elected and boards will be full of people banging their heads off the wall with frustration at them for the next x amount of years.
    Labour - Great, these might actually have some level of integrity as human beings. Unfortunately have no rational policy to reverse the economic damage done or govern the country. Non runner.
    SF - Where do I even start.
    ULA - Nutters.

Im lucky enough to have a decent single issue candidate in my constituency, so I can go down to the polling station, vote for him, watch him be eliminated at the first count and pretend I did my civic duty and that it actually meant something. Others dont even have that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Drumpot wrote: »
    That is your right but it basically means you are putting the responsibility on others to choose the next government. .

As far as I am concerned if there is one thing more irresponsible then voting for a clown, its not voting at all.
    voting for the sake of it is irresponsible voting too
    Drumpot wrote: »
    At the very least, vote for the candidate who represents your principles and beliefs most.

but by voting your accepting more than that in a person, I understand completely why some would rather not vote, personally I am voting but I think its better not to vote unless you believe in the candidate, anything else its silly, this ' we earned our right to vote' crap is riduculous, yes we earned it but clearly we didnt read the manual on how to use it and when to use it.

zig wrote: »
    I think voting should be compulsory with a none of the above option. It wouldnt make a difference but it would give us true figures of what peoples views are, it would also force people to make a decision if they were slightly unsure and were not too bothered about voting.

This would make a lot more sense, would be far better than people not voting or spoiling their votes with a message that wouldn't be seen. Actually saying in the poll that you don't want any of them is at least having a voice instead of staying mute, which you do by not voting or spoiling your vote

• For those saying the choices are bad,we're not much different to the uk or france and streets ahead of italy.
    I think theres fine candidates available but the problem is they have such a variety of opinions to appeal to,that of course theres a dilution to an extent of ideals.
    But it's the best we've got for now and it does seem to be improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

There's a quote, i don't know who originally said it - "Democracy is how we decide who gets the blame". If you don't take part in your democracy in the most fundamental way that you can, you don't get to decide who gets the blame.

Its your right not to vote of course. Doesn't make it the best thing to do.

(of course, if the candidates in your consituency are all genuinely equally awful, the best thing to do is to stand for election yourself, probably a bit late at this stage though)

spiralism wrote: »
    but if they chose not to have a say when it matters most, what is the point of them trying to have a say when it doesn't?

I'm ok with people not voting because they don't understand or haven't been sufficiently educated of the issues in question but imo people not voting because of some reason like "ahh they're all crooks if you ask me, no point in voting for anyone, hate the lot of them", it just comes across as a wee bit ignorant...

at the end of the day, it's the future of the country we're talking about, wouldn't kill anybody to try and have their say or they come across as a hypocrite if they give out about what the government does, as far as I'm concerned

They are allowed to complain because they are Irish citizens. Whether they voted or not is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Don't let the lack of choice put you off, you have a right to vote and even if you go to the polling station, get you name crossed off and pop a blank ballet in the box nobody can accuse you of not voting. But I'm sure somebody is worth a vote (although I'm still struggling to figure out who I'll vote for)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

zig wrote: »

But if someone doesn't want to vote and they are forced to vote by law, then they'll just spoil the vote as a protest rather than voting 'None of the Above' and you'll be none the wiser as to what their views are.

Personally, I've looked at the list of candidates in my constituency and if there was a 'None of the Above' option, then I'd vote for that. But I've never missed voting in a General Election, European Election, Local Election or Referendum, so I will be voting on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Use your vote. If you dont like the candidates on offer then spoil your vote at the very least as a form of protest against your view of the poor choice on offer.

One only has to look at the scenes in the middle east and north africa to see what voting means to people and yet you tear up your polling card. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Watch the Enda Kenny interview on Vincent Browne tonight.

That alone will make you vote to try and keep him out.

Although pointless you may get some satisfaction from voting against him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd say spoil your vote. It might seem pointless, but if you genuinely think there's no reasonable choice then you more than likely aren't alone. They count spoiled votes, if there are a lot, it might encourage someone with an alternative opinion or idea to run in five years time, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

You don't vote then you will have no right to whinge about political decisions taken in the new Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Anyone else feel like this?

Nearly. There is no candidate in my constituency that I want to support, because I am disappointed with all the party positions, and I have little liking for the independent candidates offering themselves.

But I will vote all the way down the ballot paper from first preference to last, starting with the candidate I consider least bad, and ending with most bad. As I think of it now, it feels like a last-ditch defence action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Look you have people marching/protesting throughout the Middle east region who'd give their right one to be allowed vote in a democratic election.

There but for the grace of God.

Stop whingeing and get and vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I don't agree with the others advising that you vote for a person you do not want.
    Spoil your vote which shows you went to the trouble of voting but could not cast your vote for any of the candidates.
    This separates you from the people who didn't cast their vote because they couldn't care less about who gets in.

It is the only option until we get a "none of the above" option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If you don't wish to back any candidate, that's fair enough, but at least register your disatisfaction with your local candidates by going to the polling office and writing SPOIL in block letters on your polling card and submitting it.

It is then counted and the higher level of "spoiled" votes shows the level of disapproval of candidates (above the numbers of natural / accidental spoilage).

I respect people right to not vote, but I do think it's biting off your nose to spite your face and you should either vote for who will do "most" of what you want, or if no one represents your views at all, then consider running in the election next time to have a platform for what it is you want from elected officials.

Embrace democracy, or it doesn't work. (it isn't fully embraced by the way, ergo...)

Advertisement