Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yes, I’m classed as essential.

That's a matter of opinion. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

The Non Essential list must be pretty small, I'm classed as essential as I work in IT Support

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

zubair wrote: »
    That's a matter of opinion. :p

That's why i said CLASSED as it!! :D

Even my wife n kids wouldn't consider me essential! :p

robbie_63 wrote: »
    The Non Essential list must be pretty small, I'm classed as essential as I work in IT Support

I think its basically anyone who works in a job were you are either serving the public in a retail environment that's allowed be open, or have a support role for the places that are open, such as IT Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Might be an age thing as well.

When I was a first-time learner on my 125CC Varadero at 30 years old I could ride other bikes not belonging to me.

"The Policyholder may also drive a motorcycle not belonging to him or her and not hired to him or her under a hire purchase agreement.
    Cover for such vehicles is restricted to third party cover only."

I enquired about riding other people's bikes when getting my quote (just curious, don't have anything in mind) -the jist of what he said was that if my own bike (125cc) was bigger then it would be a possibility, but not for the moment. I have the full A licence so it's not a licence issue, but there seemed to be a "like for like" vibe. This was Principal/Axa, so may not arise for other insurers. Also I was just getting TPFT, so maybe if go fully comp you'd get cover for other bikes. Anyway, wasn't really a factor (& I thought the quote was good) so I didn't press the issue. I'm mid 40s btw so not an age thing - maybe years of consecutive insurance/NCB could be a factor in whether they'll extend that cover.

Wouldn't it be great if there was clear guidance on insurance. "If you want to do X you'd first need Y & Z and it would cost you approx €q extra." You could then save some time on the torturous calls, quotes with & without blah blah blah.

My own contribution to this knoweldge is that multi-bike (getting insurance on more than 1 bike you own) involves getting cover on the main (most valuable) bike, and then adding on the 2nd or subsequent. Cost about €60 extra for me to add a 2nd bike (old 250cc). Any other Insurance tips people could share? Most of the specific insurance threads just talk about what it cost people to get cover, not of much use to the next man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I never stopped working. Am i essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I never stopped working. Am i essential?

Work from home or front line because a lot of wfh aren't considered essential for some reason.
    Now they are cancelling tests for people who's ibts are expired. Great crowd altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Is €6000 enough to get started?
    That’s IBT, gear, bike, insurance the works.

I was originally (I still am really) thinking of changing my car to something that’s a bit more fun but now I’m wondering if €6k is enough to get myself started on a motorbike.
    I’ll be 24 this summer so I’d be going for an A licence

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

I was originally (I still am really) thinking of changing my car to something that’s a bit more fun but now I’m wondering if €6k is enough to get myself started on a motorbike.

Keep the car mate there are times going out on a bike is suicidal and you'll curse not having a car.

I started with less, depends what you want really.
    Ibt €550-€650
    Gear €1k - 1.5k to get very well kitted out, you'd get by under €1k too.
    Insurance depends on bike
    Bike again depends, market is brutal at the min.

Still you'd be left with around €4k bike and Insurance.

Nice cruiser or naked bike will be relatively cheap to insure.

If you're looking for a sports bike you'll need to get a skills assessment and probably still looking at nearly €2k Insurance. They may even still refuse you cover.

Your car ncb doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭goblin59

6k is more than enough

I paid about €350 - 400 for gear
    about €600 for the lessons (IBT)
    €3500 for the bike
    €800 for insurance (I was 30, so age probably lowered it)
    and then I would recommend getting what ever bike you buy checked over if you are unsure about road worthiness as there isn't an NCT to show that at some point in the last year it wasn't a death trap so that could be between €100 - €300 depending on if they have to do any work or put new tyres on.

There are definitely days in Ireland where a car is better and safer.
    I took my car off the road this year though in favour of using a go car for whenever I need one.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    6k is more than enough

I paid about €350 - 400 for gear
    about €600 for the lessons (IBT)
    €3500 for the bike
    €800 for insurance (I was 30, so age probably lowered it)
    and then I would recommend getting what ever bike you buy checked over if you are unsure about road worthiness as there isn't an NCT to show that at some point in the last year it wasn't a death trap so that could be between €100 - €300 depending on if they have to do any work or put new tyres on.

There are definitely days in Ireland where a car is better and safer.
    I took my car off the road this year though in favour of using a go car for whenever I need one.

A bike really can't replace a car unless you live very central in a large town or city. Yes you can commute almost 365 on bikes but day to day living with just a bike is not easy. I'm an ATGATT bar local spins to the shops but even at that I'd wear boots, gloves, jacket and lid, by the time I'm leaving on the bike I'd have been there and back in the car.

When I first started riding I did it on a much smaller budget than you're talking about so running both is not impossible. But both bikes and IBTs were cheaper then. Now is not the time to buy a bike, prices are stupid, based on the average donedeal price my bike is worth more now than when I got it 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,828 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A lot of people could go from a 2 car household to a 1 car + 1 bike household easily enough.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lot of people could go from a 2 car household to a 1 car + 1 bike household easily enough.

I went from car to bicycle when my commute was 15kms each way. Got fed up paying car insurance and tax for a car that was hardly used. Got a motorbike then for fun. Living and working inside the canals in Dublin you don't need a car unless you're ferrying kids about. On the odd occasion I needed a car I used GoCar.

My OH has sinced moved in though and she has a car that I'm insured on

Agreed, debated doing this a few times. But we remain a 2 car 1 bike household, when you have kids 2 cars makes a difference.

zubair wrote: »
    Agreed, debated doing this a few times. But we remain a 2 car 1 bike household, when you have kids 2 cars makes a difference.

Absolutely. We went from a one car household to debating the pros and cons of two car household vs 1 car/1 bike household.

Ultimately what decided it was that I wouldn’t be happy about putting the little lad in a second car that had been bought for Mrs KH6 for the same price a bike and gear cost.

So now she uses the car a LOT more than me but I still have it when needed. And I have the bike for commuting and doing what I need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

We went 1 bike 1 car when I got the bike and it's perfect 99% of the time.

No kids though and my commute is pretty short.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Get a top box.

Most kids fit in a top box, but your MPG and cornering suffers a little.

I am completely appalled that you would suggest such a thing

with no mention of drilling air holes.

Life ain't always empty.

I am completely appalled that you would suggest such a thing

with no mention of drilling air holes.

I wouldn't recommend drilling airholes in your passengers no matter what age.

Had my test this morning, arrived up on time got the call outside as they are doing now, running through a covid questionnaire before coming out. All good, do the ROTR and technical checks then we test the walkie talkie, my ****ing earphones wouldn't work. I went through all sorts of hassle to get a set without a mic on them (according to the tester this doesn't matter anyway), he let me ask my instructor for a set but his walkie talkies have dual pin so that was that.

I'm out my test fee and the cost of the bike from the instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

Had my test this morning, arrived up on time got the call outside as they are doing now, running through a covid questionnaire before coming out. All good, do the ROTR and technical checks then we test the walkie talkie, my ****ing earphones wouldn't work. I went through all sorts of hassle to get a set without a mic on them (according to the tester this doesn't matter anyway), he let me ask my instructor for a set but his walkie talkies have dual pin so that was that.

Ah f**k that's a pain, would have thought they could at least let you try running to the shop to get a pair

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Ah f**k that's a pain, would have thought they could at least let you try running to the shop to get a pair

Ah sure I was lucky he even let me ask my instructor tbh. Thing is they work in my phone and when we went back inside I played him some Toto

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I did the test twice, first time there was overlap on the radio with some taxi or delivery guys, pure balls, confusion reigned, tester no great help. #thesethingshappen

Thing is they work in my phone and when we went back inside I played him some Toto

If you'd managed to get the earpiece working and connected to him, he could have tried to Hold The Line.

If you'd managed to get the earpiece working and connected to him, he could have tried to Hold The Line.

I'm going to punch you in the face next time I see you

I'm going to punch you in the face next time I see you

You'll need to catch me first, L-Plate.

didn't need any of that earphone nonsense in my day lad *cough*

Life ain't always empty.

didn't need any of that earphone nonsense in my day lad *cough*

Should get that cough seem to, could be covid

Damn, that sucks!

Is there anyway they'll allow you credit on the test payment?

• Advertisement

Thats ****ing ****.

I used generic deals headphones on the day when I did the test.
    But they were crap and I couldn't hear his instructions anyway,
    Surprised they didn't let you just tune your instructors radio into the frequency they were using

Advertisement