Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Transit conversion to camper MKII

Comments

so it'd be beside the batteries and all that.

Supposed to be beside the house battery not the engine batteries. Not that it'll make much difference on your massive cable. It's a boost regulator..whatever it gets on the input it boosts so voltage drop doesn't matter, the output ought to be as short as possible because that's the final regulation.

The back of that unit doesn't get hot.

How're ya gonna charge 2 engine bateries with one cable from your pronautic?

Big bus bars down by house battery land would make everything much tidier.

We connect the chargers and loads to the bus bar and the battery then has only one cable at the terminal (not counting little sense leads)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Supposed to be beside the house battery not the engine batteries

Bollox. I thought it had to be at the Front

How're ya gonna charge 2 engine bateries with one cable from your pronautic?

Yeah.... about that. Say I moved the charger to the back of the van and If I only want to charge the starter battery can I link the pro-nautic to the input of the sterling, or would that be a big no no?

or would that be a big no no?

You can but it's messy and no offence, DIY not Pro.
    that sortov wiring gets messy fast and it's extremely difficult to troubleshoot after. Hence my bus bar suggestion.

Er..but you've 2 engine batteries!?
    Best find out what they're for before we get too carried away.
    I'd be inclined to use one smartbank and two relays if your ECU won't be upset by it, in order to know that you'll have to investigate why you have 2 batts.
    If you want to "be lazy" run a third way from the Pronautic with a proviso to maybe use it for solar too in the future.

I'd have the engine battery -> local fuse -> long run to rear -> Engine Stud/Bus at House Distro
    & House bus bar -> local distribution & fusing serving:

• Isolating Disconnect fuseblock -> all loads
    • Pronautic + Fuse
    • Solar Charge Controller (later) + circuit breaker / fuse
    • Inverter + Fuse + Isolator
    • B2B + Fuse
    Schematics at €80 per..:p ;)

Er..but you've 2 engine batteries!?
    Best find out what they're for before we get too carried away.

One for starting and one for the accessories in the van, lights etc... the rear battery is the starter. If I was so inclined I could remove the second battery and have it all powered by the starter battery

Is this what you had in mind?

That's supposed to be a fuse to the left of the b2b

IMG-20210114-180948.jpg

• Advertisement

One for starting and one for the accessories in the van, lights etc... the rear battery is the starter. If I was so inclined I could remove the second battery and have it all powered by the starter battery

I think there's a lot more to it than that, anything official to confirm? Are they both the same voltage at all times when underway?

Here's a few similar I did earlier..these things take days...
    Obviously not exactly what yer looking for. Every installation is different.

539469.jpg

539470.jpg

539471.jpg

539473.jpg

539474.jpg

Is this what you had in mind?

The B2B has input and output linked.

In = engine battery post/bus

Out = house battery bus

Yes. Split charge relay joins the two batteries together in parallel when the ignition is turned on. Prevents the radio / lights from running the starter battery dead.

Yes. Split charge relay joins the two batteries together in parallel when the ignition is turned on. Prevents the radio / lights from running the starter battery dead.

Is that an OE split charge relay?

Is that an OE split charge relay?

Yes - Factory fit

• Advertisement

Moved some things around....

There is a fuse at the seat base beside the starter battery.

IMG-20210114-222025.jpg

I want to see if I can get a better bus bar for the power feed. What I plan to do is put the isolator from the battery feed to the bus bar, and have the b2b and pro-nautic feed into the bus bar. That way they can charge the battery and I can isolate the power into the van when I need to. I can also isolate the batter and use the pronautic as a power supply if it suits me.

Don't mind the terminals that are on the battery there - they're just there to run the lights for now

WRT to charging the starter batter from the pronautic. I have a split charge relay lying around that I no longer need. I was thinking I could put that between the pro-nautic and the input on the sterling. This will allow the charger to supply the battery when shore power is in, but when on the road the battery will be isolated from the pro-nautic.

Thoughts?

Yes - Factory fit

Pardon my scepticism but it's highly suspicious Ford added 10kg of high tech lead, and split charge for such a whimsical reason. Vehicle manufacturers (especially Ford) don't spend money they don't have to.

It could be regen and the accessory battery is being deep-cycled with the engine battery on charge only.

Regen is a moving target, you have to record the system in normal operation (or rtfm) over the course of urban driving to ascertain what it's doing. Sticking a multi-meter onit once and saying she's right isn't thorough enough.

....if it is as you say then one battery/standard split charge is fine. If it's more sinister I can't make a recommendation until I know what it is and doing but it the absence of that the ProNautic outputs are isolated so you won't go wrong running one per battery (4mm² is loads, 6mm² if you want a sufficiency of overkill).

If you run the Charger outputs now you can intercept them and rearrange their functionality down the line from the house battery distribution.

Moved some things around....

:pac: I often say amateurs get it right the second time...Pros do it 4 times!

There is a fuse at the seat base beside the starter battery.

Good place for it, closer the battery the better. Terminal fuses are deadly...no holder required...they only work on threads though...and they can heat the battery if you're like me and push them to the limits. ....I've never met someone like me...most people can't pull 300A off a battery system...I'm sure they're out there though.

I want to see if I can get a better bus bar for the power feed.

c9e351f7c9b2113cb915dba630707ba834d26a08_original.jpeg
    What I plan to do is put the isolator from the battery feed to the bus bar, and have the b2b and pro-nautic feed into the bus bar.

Engine battery (B2) to engine Battery bus.
    B2 bus -> B2B in & ProNautic Out

That way they can charge the battery and I can isolate the power into the van when I need to.

Both of those units are automatically self-isolating

I can also isolate the batter and use the pronautic as a power supply if it suits me.

Better to not isolate chargers. It can damage solar controllers and usually, you want the chargers to have independent isolators for servicing. For storage and troubleshooting you usually want chargers on and loads off.

The ProNautic will act as a power supply regardless. It has load compensation. The feature just means that if you take the battery out of the van then the 12v can still work from mains.

Don't mind the terminals that are on the battery there - they're just there to run the lights for now

Seen worse as a permanent fixing. :pac:

WRT to charging the starter battery from the pronautic. I have a split charge relay lying around that I no longer need. I was thinking I could put that between the pro-nautic and the input on the sterling.

This will allow the charger to supply the battery when shore power is in, but when on the road the battery will be isolated from the pro-nautic.

The 3 outputs on that charger are isolated. You're making it complicated.

Thoughts?

I've always wondered why Sterling made the Out the first stud and In the second. :confused:
    Looks like a c0ck-up they decided nobody'd notice.

Put a screw through the cable tie mounts, the sticky back is just for placement.

Why did you fuse the ground? What size is the fuse?
    I don't like yer battery terminals.

s-l400.jpg

I don't like yer battery isolator either. I use contactors or albright EDs

The stud on the side of the pronautic is an earth (green) not a ground (black).

No harm in what you've done...in fact, it's correct to earth the ground but you're confusing the function of the conductor and your ground bus ought to be connected to the earth bus and the inverter neutralised with it's own earth leakage protection making it TN-S.

Why is there a terminal strip under the ProNautic?
    You can use the one on the fuse block.

You need a set of these for the big loads:

s-l500.jpg

Pardon my scepticism but it's highly suspicious Ford added 10kg of high tech lead, and split charge for such a whimsical reason. Vehicle manufacturers (especially Ford) don't spend money they don't have to.

https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135949
    https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-transit-under-cab-seat-twin-batteries.215433/post-3769064

This is what I know. I don't know any other reason for it.

The 3 outputs on that charger are isolated. You're making it complicated.

One output to go to the house battery, another to the starter battery

Put a screw through the cable tie mounts, the sticky back is just for placement.
    already ahead of you on that one :pac::pac::pac:
    Why did you fuse the ground? What size is the fuse?
    Because you said to. 30A

I don't like yer battery terminals.

s-l400.jpg

They're better alright

Why is there a terminal strip under the ProNautic?
    You can use the one on the fuse block.

Just a negative bus bar, that's all

This is what I know. I don't know any other reason for it.

I'm gonna file that under, not doing yer homework fer ya. :pac:
    If it's that primitive and overengineered sure one cable/battery will do.
    You can use the feeder for the B2B to double as the charge from ProNautic.

One output to go to the house battery, another to the starter battery

Grand so.

I'll take it that that black cable floating in the breeze with the wall-mounted Mega Fuse is actually a positive then? Grand. I double my rates when I'm asked to work on installations with that craic.

They're better alright

Much. Better clamping, post for temp sensors and sense cables. You need a cable mounted insulator for the +ives though.

Just a negative bus bar, that's all

Yes, you have two a foot apart.

I'll take it that that black cable floating in the breeze with the wall-mounted Mega Fuse is actually a positive then? Grand. I double my rates when I'm asked to work on installations with that craic.

No. Its a fused negative for the b2b. I was re-using the a maxi fuse that I had, and I had no additional black cable to swap out at the time. The red from the maxi fuse will be replaced with black.

S9ctNg6.jpg

That one

That one

That's the terminal for the battery monitor, going to the neg of the batter and then GND

Ah very good. That meter's amazing value. I have two, both worked outtov the box. I've spent days calibrating or failing to calibrate ones 4-5 times the cost.

More done.

I have the isolator fitted & new bus bars, one for + and one for -

Power comes from the Starter battery to the in on the b2b, via an 80A fuse. Out from the b2b routes through an 80A fuse to the battery.

I have no suitable heavy bus bar for this, so it's easy to have all together on the terminal clamp. Stud clamps have been ordered.

Power goes to the isolator from the battery and then via 40A fuse and then to the bus bar.

Output 1 from the ProNautic goes to the + on the battery. Output 2 from the ProNautic goes via split charge relay to charge the starter battery.

I have noticed that when I plug in shore power, the split charge relay is energised and I was getting 15v at the starter battery. However when I plugged shore power out, the relay stayed energised even after a while. I undid the link from the b2b and it disconnected before I left (It didn't reconnect when I put it back on). I'm surprised by this. I would've thought that the voltage from the ProNautic would've disappeared and therefore disconnected the relay.

I wonder is there a need for the SCR at all, given that the outputs from the proNautic are isolated. I may be able to go directly to it.

One remaining job is to add a feed to the b2b to indicate the engine running. There's a wire in the dash behind the glove box that I can take and run it to the battery box, and use the cables there to run back to the b2b

IMG-20210116-171924.jpg

IMG-20210116-171912.jpg

IMG-20210116-171929.jpg

IMG-20210116-171935.jpg

Didn't realise the lighting was so poor, but here' the battery monitor

IMG-20210116-161607.jpg

There's no point to the SCR. Get Rid, it's creating a feedback loop and defeating the B2B from operating. (€30 box making a £500 box redundant :pac:...I've a mate's boat I'm doing jobs on, factory fit, 3 alternators, 210A £600 Sterling Alt2B Charger anna £500 meter...they installed the Sterling box to disable the 160A $500 alternator, ignored that the meter was reading charge at 60A not the 250A I rewired it to and the D+ was hardwired to the B+ to turn off the battery light & prevent attention being drawn to the €1.5k of not working hardware onboard (meter was shyte too, I got rid))

The SCR probably has a delay timer on disconnect to reduce contact wear from hysteresis switching. Because it's voltage sensing and as soon as you connect two batteries to a charger the voltage drops momentarily.

Be aware that that battery isolator is only rated for off-load operation and will fail after a few years. If you use it too often to connect an inverter the inverter capacitor inrush will blow the bejaysus off the contacts and they'll be pitted and krusty after about 20 operations.

I still think you've too many terminal strips. I'd use the fuse block for the small ones and a bus bars you don't have for the big ones.

The trigger for the B2B you are looking for might be the coil of the Ford Split Charge contactor (reservations aside) or else there's usually one for the seat-belt alarm or handbrake sensor switch near the driver seat.

When you get solar the SCR will have to be isolated from engine split charge (DPST normal closed relay).
    That SCR is fairly light duty..the insides are a bit weedy. Grand for solar, I can melt them if I try with not much effort.

• Advertisement

PS yer eyelets are too big for that fuseblock. M5.

There's no point to the SCR. Get Rid.

Fair point
    Be aware that that battery isolator is only rated for off-load operation and will fail after a few years. If you use it too often to connect an inverter the inverter capacitor inrush will blow the bejaysus off the contacts and they'll be pitted and krusty after about 20 operations.

Noted.
    The trigger for the B2B you are looking for might be the coil of the Ford Split Charge contactor (reservations aside) or else there's usually one for the seat-belt alarm or handbrake sensor switch near the driver seat.

The one behind the glove box is an indicator specifically for the engine running. I suppose the ignition on / engine running is 6 of one. half a dozen of the other.
    When you get solar the SCR will have to be isolated from engine split charge (DPST normal closed relay).
    That SCR is fairly light duty..the insides are a bit weedy. Grand for solar, I can melt them if I try with not much effort.

Will worry about that when the time comes.

The one behind the glove box is an indicator specifically for the engine running. I suppose the ignition on / engine running is 6 of one. half a dozen of the other.

Engine running is better because it prevents the engine battery getting pancaked if you leave the key in the on position with the engine off.

As an installer I have to failsafe it against the user. As a DIYer I know better than to leave switches in silly positions or at least have nobody to complain to except myself when I don't.

In any case the B2B has a 60 sec initialising delay to reduce system wear as the alternator works very hard after a crank and the engine is cold.

Will worry about that when the time comes.

Figured you would.

So that wire under the dash didn't work, gave no reading out of it if the van was running or now. Moving on, I decided to use the cigarette lighter in the drivers dash. Someone had already butchered it to have a constant live rather than the ignition switched one (taken from the mirror controller no less, so I had to un-munge that while I was at it too.

The manual says it won't start until it's over 13.3v and won't run down past it either, so I'd imagine with the ignition on only, it's a safe enough. Plus as you say, I know about it so it'd be my own fault.

IMG-20210117-150347.jpg

IMG-20210117-150351.jpg

Built a box in the back of the van to give a little extra legroom in the bed. I've gained 2 inches this way, and will get another two on the other side of the van when I do that too.

Continued the vapour barrier behind the panel and it's all joined up again. Lots of taping up. Have a sheet cut to cover the remaining, but ran out of time to fit it today.

I left a cut out to allow the conduit run up the van behind the barrier. It'll be covered with lining carpet, so should be good.

IMG-20210131-170915.jpg

Progress...

IMG-20210217-201846.jpg

IMG-20210217-201856.jpg

I'm considering not bothering with the water heater for the van, or at least forgoing it to a later date. I recall rarely using it in the last van, there's quite a bit of scale on it it would seem, and there's no insulation on it. I can't justify shelling out on a new one, and I'm not overly enamoured to cut a hole in the side of the van for an antiquated water heater. I can retrofit on later I'd imagine.

Jury's out

I'm considering not bothering with the water heater for the van,

What is it? I'm curious.

I recall rarely using it in the last van,

Meanwhile, I'm designing a hydronic DHW system with conventional domestic radiators and a calorifier that also takes a feed from the engine coolant off a separate coil, mains via an electric element and 24V solar excess via an electric element...(dual voltage element)
    ...With the air heater as a backup because it's already mostly there. :pac:

...and a 2 gallon, recirculating shower with heat exchangers, filtering and thermostatically boosted recovery...something, something..I'm still beard scratching how it'll actually work.

there's quite a bit of scale on it it would seem

Circulate an anti-scale through it. eg vinegar on a closed-loop, 12v pump.

and there's no insulation on it.
    Armaflex.

I can't justify shelling out on a new one,

I don't buy new anything for a camper except maybe batteries and solar because new domestic solar is cheaper than 12v.

When you think about the usage of a camper most of the hardware has less than 200 hours on it.
    So pretty mind blowin how poor the standard is when stuff can't last that long. I buy used genuine products...same cost and you'll never see the end of them.

and I'm not overly enamoured to cut a hole in the side of the van for an antiquated water heater.

Yet people think huge intakes, vents and an exhaust for a gas fridge that still won't work after you do butcher your van is perfectly acceptable. :rolleyes:

Jury's out

If it's 24v or gas I might be interested.

I've been watching this guys channel lately. He's a bright chap. Impressive skillset. You'll like him.

Seem's to be a blue box fanboy...I try to not hold it against him.
    Also, he went down the expensive "more efficient" li-ion road now he's heating them in the Winter...:rolleyes:....
    I have yet to see li-ion be better than lead at anything other than energy density.
    When cost and practical applications are factored. Li-ion is not only underperforming but also a liability.

The feckin' battery tells the chargers to turn off when it's cold!! Efficient me [rude word]. I can charge lead faster too because it's cold charge compatible and doesn't melt alternators.

What is it? I'm curious.

It's a Carver Cascade II

You can see it on the side of the old van

IMG-20200905-110914.jpg
    Armaflex.

Thanks for that
    Yet people think huge intakes, vents and an exhaust for a gas fridge that still won't work after you do butcher your van is perfectly acceptable. :rolleyes:

You've sold me on that front.

If it's 24v or gas I might be interested.

Gas - I have to actually assemble it to see if it still actually works.

Hrmmm...maybe useful to me (or something like that)...for that shower...dunno...I'd rather not have gas....I think I'll be a long time working on this shower.

I'll have to build one in the mancave first. Loadsa lads are doing it and saying it's working ta-da...I wanna see how the pumps and filters hold up to a coupla months of soap and hair before I commit.

• Advertisement

I've been watching this guys channel lately. He's a bright chap. Impressive skillset. You'll like him.

This guy takes perfection to a whole new level. He clearly has an abundance of time and money with the way he's building that yoke.

In other news, I started on the passenger side of the van, with the same sort of idea as the drivers side. Since this was the side where the water tank is going I've installed the water inlet on the side. I've test fitted the tank, and there's space for the water heater between the tank and the wheel arch should I choose to install it.

IMG-20210219-135435.jpg

IMG-20210219-135427.jpg

IMG-20210219-161006.jpg

IMG-20210219-161017.jpg

Advertisement