Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

putting cctv cameras on someone else's property

Options
  • 11-09-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Puzzled, a neighbour has put up cctv cameras a while ago on another neighbour's property without permission, everytime i leave or enter the entrance to my home, i have to pass the neighbours cctv cameras 1 on the wall a foot from my entrance and i'm not too happy about it , the neighbours live past my house and have another camera across from my house, is this legal,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭victor8600

Is it legal to put a camera on *your* property without your permission? I would guess no. But you said the camera is not on your property, so it is a matter between your neighbours.

I think what you want to ask is whether it is legal for your neighbour to install a surveillance camera which looks at your house. In that case, this article may help you:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/legal-advice/why-your-cctv-system-could-be-breaking-the-law-36543060.html

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donnacha_

Installation of CCTV at home, just like in a business needs to be done in a way that is compliant with the law. The installation of any CCTV system is goverened by a number of pieces of legislation but the most relevant is the General Data Protection Regulations introduced throughout Europe on May 25th 2018. There are also some other bits and pieces such as Human Rights laws relating to a right to privacy etc, but GDPR is the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Data Protection Commission have published guidance on domestic CCTV use, in most cases GDPR does not apply, but monitoring of public spaces will bring it into play.

Advertisement