Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's a Newscorp thing, they also do it on Today FM (current one is for Virgin Media). They don't seem to be doing it on their other stations such as Q102. It has been amusing in the past when they had injected ads for gambling firms during segments on gambling addiction.

I do also wonder if it contravenes advertising standards when it comes to gambling and alcohol advertising during shows during the day when kids listen, but I don't know if such restrictions exist, or if they apply to internet radio streams.

All it does is have me switch to RTE instead during the drive time shows in order to avoid it, so the advertisers are reaching at least one less in their audience.

Very good point. I may try out RTE for my talky shows and dump Newstalk. Injecting ads over an actual person discussing a topic is terrible practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

INM sold to a Belgian media group. Wonder if NT and Today FM will be left alone or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

INM sold to a Belgian media group. Wonder if NT and Today FM will be left alone or not.

Think INM covers the print media outlets but Today FM and Newstalk amongst others are owned by Communicorp.
    O'Brien has (had) large shareholding in INM but owns Communicorp outright.

Ah right. Carry on :)

Ah right. Carry on :)

Have always hated the name Communicorp. Always think it is like something owned by the villain in a Batman or Robocop film from the 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

I know all FM suffers in good weather like this, but the last two mornings I've noticed the Newstalk signal is much worse, where I was, than nearly all other FM channels in Dublin. Yesterday, I couldn't pick it up at all north-west of Swords, and today the signal wasn't consistently okay until I got to the airport.

plodder wrote: »
    I know all FM suffers in good weather like this, but the last two mornings I've noticed the Newstalk signal is much worse, where I was, than nearly all other FM channels in Dublin. Yesterday, I couldn't pick it up at all north-west of Swords, and today the signal wasn't consistently okay until I got to the airport.

Came down from Belfast today. Was fine since about Dundalk for me.

I do notice it's always poorer range than RTE does. Seems impossible to get in car on coast in Clare or Kerry.

Did anyone hear the news headlines at midday? The first sentence of every item was partially repeated and it wasn't the live newsreader behaving weirdly - it sounded like it was off disk and someone didn't check for errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Did anyone hear the news headlines at midday? The first sentence of every item was partially repeated and it wasn't the live newsreader behaving weirdly - it sounded like it was off disk and someone didn't check for errors.

I heard that as well. Thought someone had printed it out wrong and he was just reading what was on the printout.

It was really funny in a "I'm Ron Burgundy ?" kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I am enjoying Susan Keogh's 8am weekend Newstalk Breakfast show - she is coming into her own. She is definitely improving on her interview skills and in particular her interview this weekend with Kathleen Chada and a few weeks ago she had Mary McAleese on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Possible not the right place for this, but I'm enjoying George Hooks new weekly podcast.

The election coverage will be interesting as it will go up against Ivan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

Is Shane Coleman possibly the worst presenter on radio? He’s so PC its unbearable!
    This morning he was discussing the infamous TD/swing case and had Mattie McGrath on the line who righty said ‘Did you ever hear the like of a grown up looking to be supervised on a swing!’.

Coleman rushed to the TD’s defence saying she is entitled to sue and also stated she used the legal services of fellow TD Josepa Madigan.
    He qualified this by saying there was nothing wrong with using the legal services of a fellow TD.

He has strong opinions on Brexit, Trump & housing but on something like this he has nothing to say just mute!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

technocrat wrote: »
    Is Shane Coleman possibly the worst presenter on radio? He’s so PC its unbearable!
    This morning he was discussing the infamous TD/swing case and had Mattie McGrath on the line who righty said ‘Did you ever hear the like of a grown up looking to be supervised on a swing!’.

Coleman rushed to the TD’s defence saying she is entitled to sue and also stated she used the legal services of fellow TD Josepa Madigan.
    He qualified this by saying there was nothing wrong with using the legal services of a fellow TD.

He has strong opinions on Brexit, Trump & housing but on something like this he has nothing to say just mute!

He's not even the worst presenter or the most PC host on that show, let alone radio. Kieran Cuddihy could out-PC Coleman any day of the week.

Also, if Mattie McGrath is speaking more sense than you, you've already lost the argument.

He's not even the worst presenter or the most PC host on that show, let alone radio. Kieran Cuddihy could out-PC Coleman any day of the week.

Also, if Mattie McGrath is speaking more sense than you, you've already lost the argument.

Yes agreed on Cuddihy, it’s the main reason I rarely listen to breakfast NT these days.
    I am far from a McGrath supporter but he nailed the point here.
    If Pat Kenny was the host I could imagine him agreeing with McGrath but Coleman paused awkwardly and chickened out from saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Are you suggesting that she should not be allowed to sue? It is a pretty basic right to refer to the courts if you fail to get recompense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

technocrat wrote:
    Is Shane Coleman possibly the worst presenter on radio? He’s so PC its unbearable! This morning he was discussing the infamous TD/swing case and had Mattie McGrath on the line who righty said ‘Did you ever hear the like of a grown up looking to be supervised on a swing!’.

technocrat wrote:
    Coleman rushed to the TD’s defence saying she is entitled to sue and also stated she used the legal services of fellow TD Josepa Madigan. He qualified this by saying there was nothing wrong with using the legal services of a fellow TD.

This isn't PC in my view.

This is pro establishment bias - supporting their own.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that she should not be allowed to sue? It is a pretty basic right to refer to the courts if you fail to get recompense.

Not at all. Reread what I said.

I thought it was unusual that Coleman had no opinion considering the sheer brass neck of the TD.
    You obviously don’t know the facts but the hotel offered her compensation which she refused.
    Also the fact she completed a marathon in record time the week after tells you everything!

This isn't PC in my view.

This is pro establishment bias - supporting their own.

He’s been very critical of FG over the housing crisis so not sure the point rings true.
    I actually think he has FF connections if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But people are allowed to refuse offers of compensation,and sue for what they think they deserve. The court then decides if they have a case.

You used the quote from Mattie about supervision on a swing, a pretty clear opinion that the entire case was fanciful. Now that may well be true, but it is her right to spend her money on legal fees and lose the case if she so wishes.

I fail to see how Coleman was being PC when he was merely pointing out facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Coleman and Cuddihy are just very obvious about playing good cop/bad cop with one of them having to play devil's advocate on every piece. You can see that one of them is always very clearly taking the 'other side' of the story no matter what it is or whether or not they believe in it. It's clear as well when Andrea Gilligan is filling in for one of them.
    So in their defence (I suppose) it's maybe not that either of them are madly PC but that one is forced to take a contrarian view at all times.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But people are allowed to refuse offers of compensation,and sue for what they think they deserve. The court then decides if they have a case.

You used the quote from Mattie about supervision on a swing, a pretty clear opinion that the entire case was fanciful. Now that may well be true, but it is her right to spend her money on legal fees and lose the case if she so wishes.

I fail to see how Coleman was being PC when he was merely pointing out facts.

Family owned businesses can’t afford to renew their insurance with soaring premiums and we have a member of the government party partaking in compo culture.

Frankly it’s defending the indefensible, she was sitting on a swing holding beer and wine!!!
    She claims the hotel failed in their duty of care because the area wasn’t supervised... it’s laughable!

Look she was hoping to get a judge that comes to illogical decisions as with the tram surfing case.

Family owned businesses can’t afford to renew their insurance with soaring premiums and we have a member of the government party partaking in compo culture.

Frankly it’s defending the indefensible, she was sitting on a swing holding beer and wine!!!
    She claims the hotel failed in their duty of care because the area wasn’t supervised... it’s laughable!

Look she was hoping to get a judge that comes to illogical decisions as in the case of the tram surfing case.

I'm not trying to speak for #Leroy42 but I think he is pointing out the difference between a legal right and a moral right to suit, as in Maria had the legal right, but not even close to a moral one.

I agree with him that it is not PC to point this out but it is giving her an element of support more than many other commentators have done on this topic.

Also,
    Maria Bailey is Simon Harris's cousin and he has come out unfavourably against her
    Her solicitor (we think) is a FG TD and government minister
    A key journalist berating her is a relation of Kate O'Connell who is another FG TD.

I'd say the private Whatsapp messages between the above are pretty entertaining. Not a good PR story for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

technocrat wrote:
    He’s been very critical of FG over the housing crisis so not sure the point rings true. I actually think he has FF connections if anything.

FF/FG are the same thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He’s been very critical of FG over the housing crisis so not sure the point rings true.
    I actually think he has FF connections if anything.

He's Dermot 'What Bailout' Aherns brother in law.
    Any excuse to get a sly dig in at FG he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Times are tough for poor George - begging for sponsorship for less than you'd pay a handyman for a new shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Times are tough for poor George - begging for sponsorship for less than you'd pay a handyman for a new shelf

Ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

What is the going rate for advertisements on podcasts?

What is the going rate for advertisements on podcasts?

From Google.
    With advertising rates across the industry ranging from $25-$50 per 1000 listeners, This American Life would be able to pull in (at minimum) $50,000 per episode. The revenue (money generating) model for podcasts varies, but typically falls into one (or more) of the buckets below: Advertising (the largest bucket)

Relating to download numbers of a comparable Irish show
    You’ve also got Eamon Dunphy with The Stand who is probably averaging between 9,000 and 10,000 downloads.”

What's it worth to Tesco to have 10K people hear Eamonn mention them 3-4 times every week?
    That's probably similar reach to a small regional paper? And they have 10's of ads in them. Tesco is getting all the attention on Eamonn's show.

I would have thought Hook would have tried to get his show out there for a month or so and raise it's profile before looking for sponsors. I imagine he is only doing it to keep busy rather than actually needing an income.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I imagine he is only doing it to keep busy rather than actually needing an income.
    I imagine he is only doing it to keep his egotistical opinions in public view.

• Advertisement

I imagine he is only doing it to keep his egotistical opinions in public view.

Rally don't buy this "anyone who has a different opinion to me is egotistical" trope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement