Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is Vodafone X limited to 10mbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

I am getting up to 160mb/s on through VF on this plan on my phone.

I tried 48 and was getting 3-7mbit.
    Also the call quality was toilet bowl level.

No comparison. Having said that, if VF drop it to 10mb as they promised I will probably look to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

I just did a couple of speedtests again to see what's going on with the 10Mbps thing.

Sitting at my desk with LTE in the exact same position I've done several tests in the past. According to my speedtest app history, I previously got 40-50 down and 15 up, I now get 10.8 down and 4.3 up. Previous tests were done a month ago on the 4th August and before then.

I think they may be now enforcing the 10Mbps limit. The test flies up to about 20/30 for the first couple of seconds, then goes way down, and eventually stabilises around 10. Maybe it's just right now, I'll test again later to see, but not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭DavidJC

170 down and 52 up just now.. 4g+

I wonder is it dependent on usage? I'd be a fairly light user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I always had over 150mb download since last top up few days ago my speed whent down to 15mb max download and 50mb up. Didn't get 10euro back as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

This doesn't make any logical sense, but - since my last topup, which was my first on the new unlimited data/limited speed plan - I have been clocking up massive usage. Even in a week where I watched one or no catch-up TV programmes I've been clocked as using 5GB to 10GBytes of data a day!
    I can't track it down. I'v taken to disconnecting everything, my TV, the NOW TV stick, the Mac and the PC, and the tablet. just is case there's some big OS update going on and maybe crapping out before completion and trying again the next night. I've turned off spotify and Google Play Music too, just in case.
    Up to now I rarely approached my 25GB a month (plus whatever I used at free weekends), now in 15 days I've used 100GB according to MyVodafone. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have a guy out on the laneway stealing my bandwidth!

Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I have been clocking up massive usage.
    .........Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker

Data usage in your phones settings should tell you what app is using the data.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Buffman wrote: »
    Data usage in your phones settings should tell you what app is using the data.
    Oh the Covid bit was just a joke.
    The majority of my data is not used on the phone- it's by the devices in the house, through the use of the phone as a "hotspot" (I don't have wired broadband). Trouble is that doesn't tell me which device - the Mac did some humungous updates in recent times, and there was a huge Windows update on the PC that I suspect might have crapped out before completion, and maybe started all over next day. The LG TV and the NOW TV dongle I presume don't use any data when I have the TV off. I'm less sure about Spotify which is/was sitting in the background on both PC and Mac - I wasn't playing anything recently but you'd wonder is it still drawing data down?
    The only way to find out is disconnect and turn off everything with a WiFi connection, and day by day turn one on and see if the reported data usage jumps up.
    Looks like we'll be isolating again soon so I'll have lots of time track it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The majority of my data is not used on the phone- it's by the devices in the house, through the use of the phone as a "hotspot" (I don't have wired broadband). Trouble is that doesn't tell me which device - the Mac did some humungous updates in recent times, and there was a huge Windows update on the PC that I suspect might have crapped out before completion, and maybe started all over next day. The LG TV and the NOW TV dongle I presume don't use any data when I have the TV off. I'm less sure about Spotify which is/was sitting in the background on both PC and Mac - I wasn't playing anything recently but you'd wonder is it still drawing data down?
    The only way to find out is disconnect and turn off everything with a WiFi connection, and day by day turn one on and see if the reported data usage jumps up.
    Looks like we'll be isolating again soon so I'll have lots of time track it down!

Windows update for all its failings doesn't start afresh if an update gets interrupted, it picks up from where it stopped. I couldn't see any of the music apps consuming large amounts of data, anyone in the house downloading/sharing torrents? They're usually the main culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

I Just left vodafone half way thru a month as it seem they have put the brakes on download speed mine went all the way back to 8mb from as good as 80mb download speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

This doesn't make any logical sense, but - since my last topup, which was my first on the new unlimited data/limited speed plan - I have been clocking up massive usage. Even in a week where I watched one or no catch-up TV programmes I've been clocked as using 5GB to 10GBytes of data a day!
    I can't track it down. I'v taken to disconnecting everything, my TV, the NOW TV stick, the Mac and the PC, and the tablet. just is case there's some big OS update going on and maybe crapping out before completion and trying again the next night. I've turned off spotify and Google Play Music too, just in case.
    Up to now I rarely approached my 25GB a month (plus whatever I used at free weekends), now in 15 days I've used 100GB according to MyVodafone. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have a guy out on the laneway stealing my bandwidth!

Maybe it's all the fault of the Covid tracker :)
    That seems impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

homingbird wrote: »
    I Just left vodafone half way thru a month as it seem they have put the brakes on download speed mine went all the way back to 8mb from as good as 80mb download speed.

Monday 8.43/ 70 down 6.8 up
    2 minutes previously
    22 down 7.8 up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you are tethering to anything try changing your tethering password which will disconnect everting. Then one by one reconnect.
    Check your back ups, photos etc that your are set to backup over WiFi only. Make sure you are not backing up any movie download folders in error.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sort of linked to this but have people seen issues with getting charged for tethering?
    I was not charged until recently, it was usually allowed in your data allowance as far as I could see.
    Lately it just ate all my credit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Sort of linked to this but have people seen issues with getting charged for tethering?
    I was not charged until recently, it was usually allowed in your data allowance as far as I could see.
    Lately it just ate all my credit...

Check your APNs, delete all others except the Live APN.

Have you changed handset or updated OS lately?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Check your APNs, delete all others except the Live APN.

Have you changed handset or updated OS lately?

Yeah, I've changed my handset all right, that might be it, cheers.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah, I've changed my handset all right, that might be it, cheers.

Not able to delete the hs one.. need root on android I think... Hmmmm..

bromley52 wrote: »
    If you are tethering to anything try changing your tethering password which will disconnect everting. Then one by one reconnect.
    Check your back ups, photos etc that your are set to backup over WiFi only. Make sure you are not backing up any movie download folders in error.

Yes, a good idea. I have a sneaky feeling that there could be a backup or sync going on - too many DropBoxes and GoogleDrive, OneDrive and iCloud and even some which I've forgotten. I thought they were all disabled, but you never know. And yes there's Google's Photo app, and I've been creating FLAC files from my CDs, wonder if Google Play Music is picking up on this and synching it? Odd thing is though I've been using Vodafone X for a year and more, but it's only since the new deal started has this usage balooned up from 20GB-ish to way over 100GB.
    I also need to dig into the TV to ensure I'm not using way too high resolution. My TV is HD, but not 4K or anything, and it seems to use about 1GB per hour on All4 and Virgin box sets.
    My deal resets tomorrow so I'll see what app raises its head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Well looks like throttling kicked in.

Not going over 10 Mbps.

That's a bummer because previously it was not going back up to 100+ speeds but it was hovering around 35 Mbps, which was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

Hi All

Hopeing to ask ye expience with the upload speeds of this 10Mbps plan?

For holiday home looking to install IP camera so upload is the most important aspect to me.

Is it limited to 1Mbps or have people see higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

irbx wrote: »
    Hi All

Hopeing to ask ye expience with the upload speeds of this 10Mbps plan?

For holiday home looking to install IP camera so upload is the most important aspect to me.

Is it limited to 1Mbps or have people see higher?

Not on same plan but other bill pay plan with 10 Mbps advertised speed.
    I am yet to see speed less than 50Mbps download and 10 Mbps in last few months!

I asked this in another thread, maybe I'll get more responses here.

Vodafone seems to have issues with some sites. For example,

mega.nz does not load at all
    broadbandspeedtest.ie does not work (powered by speedtest.net)
    speedtest.net does not work

Could you please check if the above sites work for you on your phone?

OE9ow1s.png

cmiVhPG.png

CyberGhost wrote: »
    OE9ow1s.png

cmiVhPG.png

No issue on any of sites, are you using adblocker? I use one but still no issue.
    Maybe try changing browser or disable pop up setting etc.

deep1 wrote: »
    No issue on any of sites, are you using adblocker? I use one but still no issue.
    Maybe try changing browser or disable pop up setting etc.

No, I'm not running anything. No blockers. Tried multiple browsers.

Speedtest simply does not load.

Mega.nz does not load, even though I have content block off from Vodafone.

Does it work with WiFi? Any other DNS setting changed, ie using Google DNS, cloud flare etc?
    I have no issue on my iPhone, sorry that’s all I can think of atm.

deep1 wrote: »
    Does it work with WiFi? Any other DNS setting changed, ie using Google DNS, cloud flare etc?
    I have no issue on my iPhone, sorry that’s all I can think of atm.

Works with Wi-Fi without any issues. Tried with Google DNS and it did not work.

Used VPN with mega.nz and it worked.

It's very odd because I have two Vodafone SIMs (both Vodafone X). One loads mega.nz without issues, the other does not. Neither work with speedtest.net.

I bought both in store so they were adult content locked from the beginning and I had to get them unlocked. I wonder if that's it?

I ordered another one from the online store now, so I wonder how that'll work.

Thanks for trying those sites.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Are you on PAYG? Have you completed age verification? Their adult-content filter seems to block some pretty random sites otherwise.

Quackster wrote: »
    Are you on PAYG? Have you completed age verification? Their adult-content filter seems to block some pretty random sites otherwise.

Yes! On PAYG (Vodafone X). I asked the age verification to be removed in store. But it seems like mega.nz and others mentioned are still blocked.

The third SIM I ordered from their website, where I had to enter my age as part of the checkout. So I wonder if it'll come with age restriction turned off by default? And hence nothing will be blocked?

• Advertisement

I agree with Quackster, I'm pretty sure that's an age verification issue, I remember I couldn't access some random non-adult related sites with Vodafone until after I verified my age.

Advertisement