Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you have leftover infection after root canal?

• 07-09-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

I had root canal on one of my molars on the top, probably about 6 years ago. The dentist, who I like, did tell me I'd need a crown eventually. Money was tight so I never bothered and the tooth cracked about 4 years later. Crack seemed superficial enough so the dentist was able to do a crown and all seemed well. Tooth is absolutely fine when I'm well but when I'm sick or run down it aches. And now, every time I get a cold I seem to get sores on the roof of my mouth near to the site of the tooth. I have them now, they look like small little raw areas - not mouth ulcers really. Very sore and make eating very difficult.

Thing is, I never have them when I see the dentist. By the time I get an appointment they're usually gone. I am basically wondering if it's possible that I have some leftover infection in that tooth. My boss said this happened to him before so the idea is in my head. I said it to my dentist and he dismissed it, saying if I had an infection the tooth would be sore all the time, not just when I am sick or run down. But I never had sore teeth and sores in my mouth before having the crown fitted. Any thoughts just so I have a bit more info before I go back to see him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Roots of upper molars are very close to the floor of your sinus, if you have a flu/sinusitis, the back teeth can ache a bit.

In relation to the sore area on the roof of your mouth, ulceration is a common symptom of being run down/unwell. Next time you are at your GP, ask him/her to check your Iron and Vit B12 levels, if these are low, ulceration often occurs.

Recurrent abscesses to occur occasionally on RCTd teeth, especially if they are fractured. But your Dentist is right, occasional ulcers on the roof of your mouth when you feel ill is not one of the symptoms. A tooth with an abscess is usually, but not always, painful when you bite on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Dav010 wrote: »
    Roots of upper molars are very close to the floor of your sinus, if you have a flu/sinusitis, the back teeth can ache a bit.

In relation to the sore area on the roof of your mouth, ulceration is a common symptom of being run down/unwell. Next time you are at your GP, ask him/her to check your Iron and Vit B12 levels, if these are low, ulceration often occurs.

Recurrent abscesses to occur occasionally on RCTd teeth, especially if they are fractured. But your Dentist is right, occasional ulcers on the roof of your mouth when you feel ill is not one of the symptoms. A tooth with an abscess is usually, but not always, painful when you bite on it.

Thank you, that is very helpful. As a vegetarian, low iron, vit b12 is probably close to the money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mousewar wrote: »
    Thank you, that is very helpful. As a vegetarian, low iron, vit b12 is probably close to the money.

I can extract tonight for you.. a few years modding this forum, how bad a job could i do :pac:;)

I can extract tonight for you.. a few years modding this forum, how bad a job could i do :pac:;)

A kind and thoughtful offer but having seen you kick a ball, I know that finesse is not your strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Try take a picture, I had some one in last year who reported similar, always canceled their hygiene app when it occurred so it was never seen but happened to come in this particular time, I thought it was shingles asked the dentist to take a look and it did turn out to be herpes virus always occurred when they were run down, same area of the palate every time

• Advertisement

SuziXX wrote: »
    Try take a picture, I had some one in last year who reported similar, always canceled their hygiene app when it occurred so it was never seen but happened to come in this particular time, I thought it was shingles asked the dentist to take a look and it did turn out to be herpes virus always occurred when they were run down, same area of the palate every time

Intersting, thanks. And what is the remedy for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

I don’t know that there is one bar treating symptoms as you would a labial cold sore, could be way off the mark but have someone help you take a pic with good lighting next time it occurs and rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Interestingly enough haematinic deficiencies are quoted as being present in 20% of recurrent oral ulceration, yet correction of the deficiency rarely results in resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Interestingly enough haematinic deficiencies are quoted as being present in 20% of recurrent oral ulceration, yet correction of the deficiency rarely results in resolution.

Unhealthy people get ulcers, unhealthy people have haematinic deficiencies, its a post hoc fallacy to link the two although they may share a common etiology???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mousewar wrote: »
    A kind and thoughtful offer but having seen you kick a ball, I know that finesse is not your strong point.

having seen many dentists attempt to kick a ball, he's still qualified enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement