Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grant or Firebird Condensing Oil Boiler

Options
  • 08-04-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hello,
    My current Oil boiler is almost dead and I need to replace it pretty soon. I've been looking at the SEI grants and I'm considering a High Efficiency Oil fired Boiler with Heating Controls Upgrade in order to avail of the current grant. I've called over a dozen of the SEI registered contractors and only two called me back and eventually called to the house. One wanted crazy money and had loads of mistakes in his quote. The 2nd contractor's price seemed very reasonable, but he only seems interested in installing a Firebird boiler, although after doing some research I wanted to go with a Grant.

So from your opinion and experience, what's better a Grant or a Firebird, or is there little difference between the two?

Also, can someone recommend a SEI approved contractor for an Oil Boiler w/ Controls Upgrade in the Galway city area?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Bozacke wrote: »
    Hello,
    My current Oil boiler is almost dead and I need to replace it pretty soon. I've been looking at the SEI grants and I'm considering a High Efficiency Oil fired Boiler with Heating Controls Upgrade in order to avail of the current grant. I've called over a dozen of the SEI registered contractors and only two called me back and eventually called to the house. One wanted crazy money and had loads of mistakes in his quote. The 2nd contractor's price seemed very reasonable, but he only seems interested in installing a Firebird boiler, although after doing some research I wanted to go with a Grant.

So from your opinion and experience, what's better a Grant or a Firebird, or is there little difference between the two?

Also, can someone recommend a SEI approved contractor for an Oil Boiler w/ Controls Upgrade in the Galway city area?

Thanks!!

I would be more inclined towards the Grant, I know some of the guys who work there and they have an excellent back up service and if I'm not mistaken it was Steven Grant that invented the condensing oil boiler? Have you considered a complete change to a heat pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Bugnug,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would prefer the Grant Boiler, I'll have to find someone to do that. Also this plumbers insistance with a Firebird only had me questioning his competency, it appeared that's all he knows and doesn't want to do anything different.

Yes, I also considered switching to a heatpump, but I suspect that would cost a lot more money, something I don't have a lot of right now. Am I correct in assuming my radiators may have to be changed if I switch to a heatpump?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Bozacke wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks!!

Id have no problem recomennding firebird either. And their back up service as good. Look at costs/ performance of boiler. There pretty much rock solid these days anyway.

Advertisement